Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2006, 22:06   #1
BHPian

Got my first speed ticket today - :-)

This happened today when I was going to thane via Airoli - Mulund Bridge.
The road ahead was empty and I was cruising at about 100 km/hr.. When I suddenly saw an accent guy, who was speeding till now reducing his speed to a good extent and also giving way for me from right to overtake him. Just after overtaking him, I would have traveled a few 100 meters when I say two cops frantically waving at me to stop the car. I slowed down immediately pulled over to the left. Then the usual thing happened, “license kada” and things like that. I asked, what is my fault, to which he replied “over-speeding”.
Obviously, .I could not see the speed detector monitoring vehicle!!
Then I went to the cops waiting for me to come over, and I asked what the problem is?
The cops said I was over-speeding and I will have to pay a fine of Rs 200/-
I asked what the speed limit is and his answer to that was, 40 km/hr was the limit and we excuse up to 60 km/hr. And I was, according to them, at 87 km/hr.
They told me , if I want I can check their computers!!
“40 Km/Hr” – where are we heading, I asked?? They told according to the government road safety limit, the rule is so; they said they understand but can’t do anything about it!! I told them the next time onwards I would prefer to walk than using a car, I just laughed at them and they laughed back.
I paid the fine, they said thank you and I walked back to my car and drove away… all the while never exceeding above 40 KM /HR.
Speed limt rules –
Mulund – Airoli – 40 Km/hr
Eastern/western Highway – 60 Km/Hr
Express Highway – 80 Km/Hr.
So guys.. if your trying to mod your cars, instead mod yourself by taking some steroids and run at 40 Km/Hr.
Old 22nd September 2006, 10:45   #2
BHPian

Quote:
So guys.. if your trying to mod your cars, instead mod yourself by taking some steroids and run at 40 Km/Hr.

.. thats the way it is everywhere in our so called metropolitan city's.. And you know what, nowdays the authorities in Delhi are contemplating on having a speed limit of 50kmph..
Old 22nd September 2006, 13:59   #3
BHPian

bad luck netarchie but on the other hand, we should really mind our speed atleast within the city.
Old 22nd September 2006, 14:48   #4
BHPian

Can the speed monitring police vehicle be easily spotted ? Must be having a camera on top I suppose. Nowdays I am cautious when I travel on the Palm Beach road (Belapur-Vashi). Police can have a manifold increase in their revenue, if they place a vehicle there
Old 22nd September 2006, 14:54   #5
Team-BHP Support

In delhi its a sumo, which is easy to spot. But the problem is that they are usully after curves and flyovers.
In chandigarh this guy on a scooter would hide behind bushes and radio the police checkpoint about 300-400mts ahead.
So if you are not carefull and on the lookout, you will be in trouble.
Old 26th September 2006, 13:51   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani
bad luck netarchie but on the other hand, we should really mind our speed atleast within the city.
Mind ??...speed in city!!... the city is full of potholes, you are forced to travel at 20 Km/Hr, and when you get a clear.. less pot holed road.. you are caught by cops for overspeeding!!!
Old 26th September 2006, 17:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie
Mind ??...speed in city!!... the city is full of potholes, you are forced to travel at 20 Km/Hr, and when you get a clear.. less pot holed road.. you are caught by cops for overspeeding!!!
i guess you would be caught for under speeding in city roads.
Old 26th September 2006, 17:17   #8
rks
BANNED

I sincerely hope the absurd speed limits on the Expressway are not enforced -- there are spots on the expressway like the first bridge approaching the Lonawala ghat section (from Pune) where the speed limit is 30 kmph and you can comfortably hit 100+ kmph. I also tend to hit 110 kmph on the Sion-Panvel highway when the roads are in good condition and there is no fear of potholes. I hope the Sion-Panvel highway is also spared from silly speed limits like 60 kmph.
Old 26th September 2006, 17:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456
Can the speed monitring police vehicle be easily spotted ? Must be having a camera on top I suppose. Nowdays I am cautious when I travel on the Palm Beach road (Belapur-Vashi). Police can have a manifold increase in their revenue, if they place a vehicle there

At such a high speed its not advisable to be on look out for speed guns ....... Now adays they just stay away from the squad vehicle, and direct it at an oncoming vehicle ....it can detect from as far as 40 mts or above...not sure about the upper limit . They are even suspending license if caught at very high speeds . So watch out for .

1.Mobile Traffic Enforcement Squad

2.Speed Race.

Last edited by maxbhp : 26th September 2006 at 17:26.
Old 26th September 2006, 17:27   #10
BHPian

be careful at the vashi bridge and mankhurd flyover rks i have seen police monitoring speeds there. lucky me, my scooter doesnt go over 60 so i have been spared.
Old 26th September 2006, 19:02   #11
rks
BANNED

heelntoe, thanks for the tip-off. One saving grace for me is that I would hit the Sion-Panvel highway either after 8 PM or before 9 AM in my weekly Pune-Mumbai-Pune trips. So hopefully I will escape the cops.
Old 26th September 2006, 19:29   #12
BHPian

Get a radar detector.. it would give you a beep if a radar gun is pointing at you giving you sufficient time to slow down.
Old 26th September 2006, 22:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishsegar
Get a radar detector.. it would give you a beep if a radar gun is pointing at you giving you sufficient time to slow down.
its cheaper to bribe the cops here
Old 26th September 2006, 23:29   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie
its cheaper to bribe the cops here
netarchie are you sure the 200 bucks gone to the Govt.There is a highh chance it may went to the cops pocket.

Speed limit posted in Indian highways Still a joke.I think we may need a seperate thread to discuss what the Govt should do before imposing the speed limit.(obviously better roads)!
Old 27th September 2006, 01:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Im sooo verry happy to be in Blore....No speed limits anywhere here yet!!!

Most Viewed