Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2016, 15:39   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Soon, you will be able to hit 140 kmph on expressways

My 2 cents on this topic. I think in general the view of the forum is that this speed limit is way too high. I am also in agreement but this is how I view it.
  • Purely from a max speed limit rule standpoint calling it 140 or 120, its just a mute point given that there is absolutely no enforcement of speed limits outside of city limits. People who are daredevils plus cars which can or cannot handle continue to drive like crazy even at 150+ on roads which today are marked 90 kmph. So this increase in speed limit doesnt matter in that sense.
  • Alternately why increasing this speed limit is sheer stupidity in my view because it means that our govt believes that our road network + people who are using it are mature enough to handle such speeds. Which is totally wrong given that we continue to be country with one of the highest road fatalities in the world

I dont want to delve to the zillion reasons already listed by fellow members about the numerous things that should be improved before really thinking we can handle higher speeds on our roads.
Old 15th March 2016, 16:20   #107
BHPian

I agree with some of the points here, Indian highways are not safe today for riding / driving at these speeds. Even if they are experienced riders / drivers at those speeds anything can happen. I think 100-120 is good enough.
Old 15th March 2016, 18:12   #108
BHPian

Rather than increasing the speed limit, if only there were stricter measures to prevent slow moving vehicles from driving on the fast lane. On the Yamuna expressway, there are buses driving on the right and cars touching light speed on the left even when the signage on the road is in Hindi, clearly marking the lane for buses, cars and overtake. What's more, bovines and pedestrians cross the road "like a boss" meme and car doors suddenly fling open to let out a stream of 'red remains' of what was once a betel leaf. Under these exquisite circumstances, India is probably not ready for a game of bumping cars on the expressway.

Last edited by RocketRaccoon : 15th March 2016 at 18:15.
Old 15th March 2016, 18:33   #109
BHPian

I cannot believe government is considering doing this. Our highways are as it is so unsafe to drive due to cocktail of different types of vehicular flow and now this.

First strictly enforce lane driving and improve road conditions and then think of these things.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 19:16   #110
BHPian

Make safety a compulsion for the car users right from the cars themselves. Educating people on safety is going to take ages. This is India. People have to be taught to not piss and defecate in the open

The point I am trying to make is, build features in the car that makes it hard for the driver to be reckless. Ofcourse, the best of the cars can be crashed if not driven properly but what if cars are built where-

- The beltminder keeps ringing, infact increases pitch with distance traveled, until the seatbelt is worn.
- Car does not start with a tipsy person in the drivers seat.
- No car is sold without ABS EBD and twin airbags at least.
- Mandatory crash test rating for all cars.
- Pedestrian protection built in.
- Insurance premiums linked to the average speeds a car is driven.

The counter argument would be that it will make the cars very expensive. I guess not. I sincerely believe that the sensors, airbags and stuff has become very cheap. We have seen that everything can be given cheap if the manufacturer wishes so..recently (Ecosport)

Its just the manufactures who keep peddling these things as luxury with high markups.

Last edited by AKTRACK : 15th March 2016 at 19:25.
AKTRACK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 20:24   #111
BANNED

While many of the posts here are not in favour of an increased speed limit, I wonder if there is an enforced limit now at whatever lower speeds.

Since there is no concept of highway speed traps and cops yet in (most of) India, the very talk of speed limits is out of place. Does anyone know the speed limit on the last highway one drove? I drove 200 km on the highway over the weekend and dont remember seeing one speed sign. And I also saw big engined SUVs and sedans doing very high speeds whizzing past my capable Fabia.

And those destined to die (or kill) will find a way to do so without bothering to keep an eye out for (nonexistent) speed signs.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th March 2016 at 16:38. Reason: Removing mentions of speeding.
Old 16th March 2016, 11:02   #112
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
While many of the posts here are not in favour of an increased speed limit, I wonder if there is an enforced limit now at whatever lower speeds.

And those destined to die (or kill) will find a way to do so without bothering to keep an eye out for (nonexistent) speed signs.
What we Indians need to learn is self discipline. All agree that doing high speeds on the highways in India is unsafe. Why do you need sign posts to tell you that you are driving too fast?? Accidents can happen in a blink of an eye and still we believe that nothing can happen to us, so we drive very fast. We need to be self disciplined at best.

One must go the Srilanka and learn traffic discipline on the highways. It is just amazing. At railway crossing, the gates are half closed and not even a cyclist will cross.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 12:15   #113

Speed Limit or not , nobody is going to obey rules anyway.

I have been on the expressway at speeds of 120-140 and was STILL overtaken by many hatches and more powerful cars than mine like a merc just zoomed by. Probably at near 200. If one was really to drive at 80 between people doing such speeds, there would be a greater chance of accident, no?
In my experience it is easier to maneuver around the expressway if everybody are at similar speeds even if it near 140, as due to relative velocity, they seem slower?(Please correct me if I am wrong)
I believe travelling at a speed of 80 on expressway kinda beats the purpose really.
Nowadays nearly every car can do 100+ easily , though some older hatches may have problem, I agree.
Old 16th March 2016, 13:28   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sz-14 View Post
Speed Limit or not , nobody is going to obey rules anyway.

I have been on the expressway at speeds of 120-140 and was STILL overtaken by many hatches and more powerful cars than mine like a merc just zoomed by. Probably at near 200. If one was really to drive at 80 between people doing such speeds, there would be a greater chance of accident, no?
In my experience it is easier to maneuver around the expressway if everybody are at similar speeds even if it near 140, as due to relative velocity, they seem slower?(Please correct me if I am wrong)
I believe travelling at a speed of 80 on expressway kinda beats the purpose really.
Nowadays nearly every car can do 100+ easily , though some older hatches may have problem, I agree.
I don't know what car you drive, but 140 on the expressway in an average hatch is suicidal!

Firstly, you are sharing the road with truckers who will go at their own pace.

Should one of them do a sudden lane change (and it has happened to me) - I can guarantee that the average hatch without ABS, worn-out tyres, etc. will not be able to stop in time.

Thirdly - there are lots of undulations on the expressway, and patchy jobs - anyone hitting one of those @ 140 in an average hatch will have a tough time controlling the car afterwards. Not to mention the effects of cross-winds.

As an experienced driver, you may know what to expect; but majority of the commuters on the expressway aren't regulars.

Heck - I was on the expressway recently, and even though my vehicle is capable of keeping up with Mercs and such - I backed off after a point. I just didn't feel as comfortable.

BTW - 80kmph on the expressway is better than 40-60kmph you would be maintaining on an alternative route.
Lesser traffic, wider roads = higher average speed.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 14:31   #115
BHPian

I think increasing speed limit to 120-140 is a good move, as long as it comes with other related improvements:

From govt:
1) Road surface quality is good,
2) Traffic signs are present in understandable language and are consistent, ie present say 1 km before knowing where to turn much like exits on US freeways,
3) Making DL tests stringent,
4) Offering 911 kind of service on roads with high speeds for faster medical care - Currently I've noticed highway patrol numbers differ from one highway stretch to another,
5) Providing enough lanes (at least 4 1 way) on fast roads unlike NE1 where you have just 2 and people often use shoulders to overtake,
6) Maybe unpopular - but make 2/3 wheelers use only leftmost lanes for safety of all road users,
7) Fence access to faster roads so stray animals dont jump in - I dont know if this is feasible but if all fast roads can be elevated by say 2-3 feet then stray entry becomes impossible

From road users:
1) Fast lane etiquette is adhered to,
2) Slow moving vehicles keep left,
3) All vehicles have operational lights and they use them appropriately

For a country as vast as ours, faster speeds will certainly be a boon. Imagine being able to travel 1000 kms in 10-12 hrs. This move can have positive influence on the economy because goods can transit much faster using cheaper transport rather than relying on air freight. Better road connectivity in upcoming cities/towns can allow people to live farther away.

I think it makes sense for the govt to bring in the provision one expressway at a time. This way people can start treating 140 kmph business as usual rather than a thrill ride. Perhaps expressways should be constructed/maintained keeping these speed limits in mind going forward.
Old 16th March 2016, 17:18   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I don't know what car you drive, but 140 on the expressway in an average hatch is suicidal!

Should one of them do a sudden lane change (and it has happened to me) - I can guarantee that the average hatch without ABS, worn-out tyres, etc. will not be able to stop in time.

Thirdly - there are lots of undulations on the expressway, and patchy jobs - anyone hitting one of those @ 140 in an average hatch will have a tough time controlling the car afterwards. Not to mention the effects of cross-winds.

As an experienced driver, you may know what to expect; but majority of the commuters on the expressway aren't regulars.

Heck - I was on the expressway recently, and even though my vehicle is capable of keeping up with Mercs and such - I backed off after a point. I just didn't feel as comfortable.

BTW - 80kmph on the expressway is better than 40-60kmph you would be maintaining on an alternative route.
Lesser traffic, wider roads = higher average speed.
I was in a Honda city at that time, which had been on the expressway several times , so I was sure about what it could do.

And you are completely right: These truckers cause a LOT of problems and on my every trip i see one of them crashed on the expressway.

Yeah and i too didn't try to keep up with the faster cars. This is not a race after all and who knows what could have happened. Just saying that despite me being at an already high speed, majority of the people were going even faster! Proving that the 80 limit is of no use at all!!
Sz-14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 17:29   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
!) I don't know what car you drive, but 140 on the expressway in an average hatch is suicidal!

2) there are lots of undulations on the expressway, and patchy jobs - anyone hitting one of those @ 140 in an average hatch will have a tough time controlling the car afterwards. Not to mention the effects of cross-winds.
Nailed it pretty well.

1) I have had a first hand experience in my car and hence forth, any recommendation to anybody, ABS is a must. HCV's are usually quite disciplined, but sometimes when there is a sudden lane change, it can catch anyone off-guard.
Add to that : there are many cars plying over its rated capacity. Its not uncommon to find a car fully loaded with adult occupants and then a few kids. All these things factored in, chances of accidents just increase.

2) Very valid point. The NE-1, after initial 65 kms. has one of these patchy work undulations. There aren't any potholes, but the leveling is improper or only in a few locations. A flat surface is a must for most of the mass market cars to have 140 kmph cruising speed.

The lower speed limits never made sense and people definitely were driving faster, now its official to drive fast. But one must understand that man and machine, both have to be equally capable to handle the stress of such high speed. Its good that the government is opening up, and I am sure this will prove its worth of reducing travel time in future. But with current level of law implementation, 100+ on any road is risky. Even NE-1 sometimes has cattles crossing road, am a witness of that.
This move also shows lack of long term planning in the past. Example : NE-1 was designed and built with 120 kmph speed in mind. Now, how to upgrade the same stretch of road to 140 kmph ?

Last edited by aaggoswami : 16th March 2016 at 17:31.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 17:42   #118
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemant_Joshi View Post
140 KMPH is pretty high for MOST of the roads in India.
Barring a few express highways and NH's, going past 80/100 itself is a Challenge, not necessarily because of road conditions, but, for hell lot of things, other than that.
Practically, I don't think this makes any difference to most of the people traveling on roads,
Common sense things and sensible driving - yielding to safety, traffic rules and conditions, proper maintenance of vehicle, should be more on minds of drivers then the speed limit..
It seems most of the posters are over reacting without reading the OP properly. It specifically mentions that it would apply only to "expressways with complete access control". Nowhere is it mentioned that this speed limit would be applicable for any other roads. As long as the expressway is run and maintained like that which is designed for 140 Km/h and over, I don't see any reason why the limit should be lower. If ones own driving capability or car's limits are lower then one should drive accordingly using their common sense.

Last edited by mxh : 16th March 2016 at 17:47.
mxh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 18:19   #119
BHPian

In my opinion, having any kind of speed limit seems to be utterly pointless and a complete waste of everyones time as it is no way enforced or regulated. As we all know 140 doesn't necessarily mean 140, its just on paper or on the sign board rather, but its a completely different story in practice. If anything, it is only encouraging people to push even harder now and this is downright dangerous as our road infrastructure is not upto the mark to cope with such high speeds. Also are our citizens do not carry the right driving ettiequte , us Bhpians aside and most of these people don't even carry out timely maintenance of their vehicles with safety taking a back seat, more of a luxury to have on your car. I also feel that unrealistically low speeds of 30 kmph for instance on the Eastern Freeway here in Mumbai, have been set on certain sections where the car can easily handle around 50. I doubt if the regulators even carry out a drive by before they assign appropriate speed limits. Rather than having a specific number, each section of road has to be assigned the most apt limit. As far as the Expressways are concerned, it would be great to have a fast and an intermediate speed lane, like 120,100,80 to be more realistic because having a single limit causes a lot of inconvenience for fast moving traffic. I find it next to impossible to stick to a lane at 100 kmph and I often end up being tailgated which is very irritating. But again, nothing is going to change unless it is enforced and regulated. So in conclusion I completely support GTO on the points he's made above.

Last edited by autoskooll : 16th March 2016 at 18:28.
Old 16th March 2016, 18:40   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
It seems most of the posters are over reacting without reading the OP properly. It specifically mentions that it would apply only to "expressways with complete access control". Nowhere is it mentioned that this speed limit would be applicable for any other roads. As long as the expressway is run and maintained like that which is designed for 140 Km/h and over, I don't see any reason why the limit should be lower. If ones own driving capability or car's limits are lower then one should drive accordingly using their common sense.
140 is pretty fast even for Yamuna expressway. A 140 kmh speed limit would be among the highest in the world and on par with many countries in the west.
I think that the only reason why they want to increase the limits is so that they can boast about it in public. I can already see " Akhilesh Yadav Ki sarkar laayi hai 140kmh ke expressway " ads floating around.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks