Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2016, 11:56   #1

Caught on Dashcam! Le Méridien Hotel valet damages my car

Yesterday, my mother took our beloved Elite i20 to Le Meridien Hotel in New Delhi. She promptly gave the car to a valet of the hotel who managed to scrape it while reversing out of the parking. Now, I understand that everyone makes mistakes and it would be fine or at least more forgivable had he informed my mother that he had made a mistake and scraped my car while reversing. BUT NO! He didn't care and passed the car to my mother like nothing had happened.

Now, what this guy had not envisioned was that we had recently purchased and equipped our cars with a dash cam specifically a Xiaomi Yi dash cam. And, everything was caught on tape. From him hitting the car and getting out and inspecting the damage to him handing it off to my mother who in her naivety and trust in fellow humans didn't bother to check.

It was only later that when going through the footage of sheer curiosity of the camera being new, I checked the footage and to my horror, the first day of our using the camera resulted in it giving us proof of damage

1. My mother entering the Hotel and giving the car to the valet, him parking it.

2. The Valet takes the car and parks it in another spot

3. This video has him damaging the car while reversing, getting out and inspecting, trying to WIPE off the damage At around 2:50 , he glances down at the damage and still fails to report

4. This video has my mother driving off

5. This is a video I took of the damage back at home

It is unfortunate that I have to share this information with you but it happened, and I require advice regarding what should be my next steps in order to get my car repaired at no cost to me.
jaskaranjaiya is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 13:49   #2
BHPian

re: Caught on Dashcam! Le Méridien Hotel valet damages my car

I would do the following:
  1. Write to the General manager reporting the incident and advising him that you intend to bill them for the damage. Ask them to check their security cameras.
  2. Get a quotation for repairs and send to them for either agreeing to pay or to enable them send a cheque.
  3. If this doesn't work, load the video on social media and send them a reminder letter.
you could also talk to them after step 1 and gauge the reaction. Generally, if the customer is right, they would take immediate steps, though some Managers can be a bit stupid at times.
earthian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 13:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskaranjaiya View Post
Yesterday, my mother took our beloved Elite i20 to Le Meridien Hotel in New Delhi. She promptly gave the car to a valet of the hotel who managed to scrape it while reversing out of the parking. Now, I understand that everyone makes mistakes and it would be fine or at least more forgivable had he informed my mother that he had made a mistake and scraped my car while reversing. BUT NO! He didn't care and passed the car to my mother like nothing had happened.

It is unfortunate that I have to share this information with you but it happened, and I require advice regarding what should be my next steps in order to get my car repaired at no cost to me.
What ever happened is really unfortunate. I know how much it hurts when you and your vehicle bears a brunt of some one else's mistake.

You might not like what I am going to suggest but I really hope that you do give it a thought. He should have informed your mother. Period. The guy who damaged your car must be getting 5-6k a month to do his job and if you want him to bear the cost, or the hotel to bear the cost which eventually might cost the guy his job, you will be hurting him in more than one way.

I would request you to evaluate the possibility of getting this repainted at an FNG without claiming insurance which in turn will not hurt your NCB.

I am assuming that you come from a upper middle class/ upper class family and spending these 5-6k for you would just mean a lunch at Le meridien with your family.

I would also like you to know that I am not suggesting this because it is not my car. My stationary car was hit by an auto rickshaw with in 2 days of me buying the car and I let the guy go because he did not do it intentionally and I was in a better situation than him to get my car repainted.

Edit: I am not suggesting that you should not report this or confront the guy.

Last edited by Engine_Roars : 30th April 2016 at 14:13.
Engine_Roars is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 13:56   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
The guy who damaged your car must be getting 5-6k a month to do his job and if you want him to bear the cost, or the hotel to bear the cost which eventually might cost the guy his job, you will be hurting him in more than one way.
I disagree. Not reporting would mean that the valet would continue to be casual in his work. It could lead on to a bigger mistake. We have many examples where accidents happen since the deterrent is just not there, or there are ways to overcome the law.
If at all, one needs to be charitable, it must be reported and you may mention that you are not pressing for damages...though i wouldn't do it.
earthian is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 14:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunate incident that has happened. Speak to the duty manager and report the problem. If he claims innocence, which I am sure, he will, tell him that you have video to support your claim. The hotel has to reimburse the amount for the damage.

I wish I had dashcam on my car, I got similar damage at Marriott Goa. Which dash cam are you using ?
F150 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 16:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

We can't have indifferent & irresponsible valet drivers park our cars.

They've to ensure they employ responsible (& well paid) valet - like a reputed hotel should.

Although legally I'm sure the hotel will have disclaimed themselves off of any responsibility, IMO reporting this is most necessary.

Since the NCB amount won't be more than a few thousand, I guess they'll try to pasify you & probably offer to cover that as a "Goodwill gesture".

Then as Engine Roars mentioned, they may recover the amount from the valet drivers salary. I guess it'd be over a period.

I understand what you've gone through. But at the same time, I'm glad we afford a choice to decide if the valet should be penalised.

I guess the general thing is that if one tipped the vallet, then it's very fair to request having him penalised.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 23:47   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Caught on Dashcam! Le Méridien Hotel valet damages my car

Sad, but that's how most valets are. It's just another car for them.

Completely with Earthian on this one. Bring it to the GM's notice and they'll surely cover the damage. After all, they are in the hospitality business and your car was damaged by their staff.

Quote:
The guy who damaged your car must be getting 5-6k a month to do his job
You can't get a personal driver for less than 13 - 15k today. A valet's salary at a 5 star hotel will be higher.

Quote:
I am assuming that you come from a upper middle class/ upper class family and spending these 5-6k for you would just mean a lunch at Le meridien with your family.
They have to make good on the damage. Once they incur a loss, they'll take steps to minimize the possibility of this happening again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Although legally I'm sure the hotel will have disclaimed themselves off of any responsibility
They can make you sign any T&C, but that doesn't absolve them of any responsibilities - even legally.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 07:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Firstly good dash cam. I am now interested in this model.

Secondly you have to report this to the GM irrespective of the outcome. Infact i would create a mild scene at the hotel to put them off for a second in front of other customers if we have to get to that point.

The point is letting it slide simply means he will get away with such incidents and he needs to be taught a simple lesson on honesty and reporting what went wrong to his GM and customer.

The GM should act as one irrespective of the valet disclaimers.

I have had big fights in chennai park and le meridian basically asking them to give me in writing that anything that goes wrong is their responsibility or simply sit next to me so i can drive. Its always sit next to me scenario and considering its my car i dont mind walking a bit to park.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 11:06   #9
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd May 2016 at 10:43.
Acharya is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd May 2016, 11:23   #10
BHPian

Thats a real swell dashcam that you got there and really sad to see this happen to a brand new car. Others have already commented about future recourse so won't comment about that.

I once saw a valet unintentionally damaging a premium car ant an upmarket place in Pune. This was way back in 2009. Since then I park my cars myself in spite of my family members/friends ridiculing me. Even at 5 star hotels, after dropping of my family, I inquire with the valet about the parking and drive down myself.

And mind you, I drove a 2009 car, but better safe to be sorry. If if I damage my car myself it won't be as bad as someone else damaging it and hiding the truth from me.

My 2 paise.

Last edited by @Chaand : 2nd May 2016 at 11:25.
@Chaand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 11:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What ever happened is really unfortunate. I know how much it hurts when you and your vehicle bears a brunt of some one else's mistake.
Edit: I am not suggesting that you should not report this or confront the guy.
I would strongly advise against this. The perpetrator's social or financial status has nothing to with the damage he has done. The car was handed over to the hotel employee, and was damaged while in their possession. It is none of OP's business that to whom the hotel charges the damage. If the 'poor driver' would have hit someone with OP's car, would you still say that OP should foot the hospital bills because the hotel or the valet driver can't afford to pay for his mistakes?

If that be the case, then next time onwards we may have to ask for Form-16 of every valet driver before handing over our cars to them!
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 11:55   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
The car was handed over to the hotel employee, and was damaged while in their possession.
Exactly!
The valet is not some random guy, but a hotel employee. We are handing over our keys to the valet, not because we cannot park the cars ourselves, but we are just using the services provided by the hotel to which we make payments. In this case, our member has sufficient proof in his dashcam that the valet has scrapped the car, which he should highlight to the management, and try to recover the costs. It is up to the hotel management to decide how they will handle this stuff with the valet.
If they recover part of the costs with the valet, or send him home right away, then, "the poor guy" would have got his lesson, and will probably become more careful next time when someone hands over keys to him.

In our country, we seem to be having a mindset that, if they are poor, they should be immediately forgiven for everything because they cannot bear the costs or punishments anyway. Condoning such behaviours in the name of financial status just does not help improve them or anyone.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 17:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
I would do the following:
  1. Write to the General manager reporting the incident and advising him that you intend to bill them for the damage. Ask them to check their security cameras.
  2. Get a quotation for repairs and send to them for either agreeing to pay or to enable them send a cheque.
  3. If this doesn't work, load the video on social media and send them a reminder letter.
you could also talk to them after step 1 and gauge the reaction. Generally, if the customer is right, they would take immediate steps, though some Managers can be a bit stupid at times.
Makes perfect sense!

And a Valet getting paid 5-6k a month!! Sorry but even the 3-wheeler Tempo cleaner gets paid more than that.

I would suggest - Approach the hotel (writing or calling or going there in person), show them the evidence and propose that you'd like them to foot whatever the repair bill is and not claim insurance. If they agree, good else second best option is to claim insurance propose they foot the differential. Lastly, if they don't agree, post this video on all social media sites with lemeridien hashtag and get your sweet polite revenge. I'd be the first one to share and help you float it to as wide a public as I can.

I never give my car to valets for this specific reason. In fact I've been to Ashoka, Hyatt, Crowne Plaza & Sheraton and always insisted that I'd like to park my Swift myself. The way their attitude changes is something to really watch out for and they ensure that I spend the next 5-7 mins looking for an ok parking spot somewhere in the basement or outside (but within the hotel premises).

Once I went to Leela (the 7-star in Gurgaon) to pick up my firangi female friend and they refused to allow me to park, probably the Valet was too hurt that I didn't want him to touch my cheap looking hatchback when he's been parking Bentleys all day. I got down, left my car on the porch and asked the valet's incharge politely whether I can park myself or he'd like me to create a scene while cops arrive? He smiled in return, let me park my Swift along with a Jaguar on the porch. But I digress, sorry!
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 17:10   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
they refused to allow me to park.....
Apologise if we are going off the track, but once a premium hotel in Ahmedabad did not allow my driver to park in the basement (there was no other parking space) and said that only the valet could. Later on, i gathered that car parking has been outsourced.
I do not think any hotel has a legitimate right to refuse self parking ( a hotel must comply with the municipal laws and rules, which would mandate that adequate parking is made available for the customers), but i suspect that this is being done since the basement parking may be over crowded (and they fear a mishap or complaint by the customer) or the outsourced team do not want to miss out on the tips.
Old 2nd May 2016, 18:05   #15
BHPian

I had a similar experience where the valet lost my car keys.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3930263

I had to pay about Rs7k to get the lock replaced. The hospital staff (Chief Security Officer) was very courteous and made it clear that he will intervene because the parking company has been employed by the hospital. But he cannot bear the damages as it should be borne by the outsourced vendor.

The vendor was also very courteous and was ready to pay me Rs 7k. But he claimed that the driver would not earn more than that for a month. I wanted the driver to learn a lesson so that he is careful, but taking his one month of earning was something I could not do. So took Rs 2k. I don't know if he was earning more and they took me for a ride, but atleast I can sleep peacefully at night.
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks