Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2006, 19:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

No right turn, but how about a U turn?

This question has been bothering me for quite some time.
Suppose at a junction you have No right turn sign then are you allowed to take U turn?
Because when U-turn is not allowed you have a sign saying No U-turn.

What do you guys think?
Old 27th September 2006, 19:26   #2
BHPian

A traffic SI once told me that you can take a U-turn anywhere unless there is a board which prohibits a U-turn. Could be wrong....
Old 27th September 2006, 19:46   #3
kdb
BHPian

you are allowed to take U turn if the "No U turn" sign is not there..

both of them are totally differrent kinds of turns.. so that makes two different kinds of rules and two different sign boards.. you may also find junctions where a U turn is not allowed but a right turn is allowed!! ..

so it makes perfect sense .. these rules are implemented by the traffic police according to traffic pressure on those roads to avoid jams .. or sometimes implemented due to security reasons..

Last edited by kdb : 27th September 2006 at 19:54.
Old 27th September 2006, 22:46   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
This question has been bothering me for quite some time.
Suppose at a junction you have No right turn sign then are you allowed to take U turn?
Because when U-turn is not allowed you have a sign saying No U-turn.

What do you guys think?

I doubt it. If you break this down logically, a right turn not allowed is to prevent flow obstruction to the opposite lane of traffic. In such a scenario, a U-turn would also be a great nuisance not to mention a safety hazard

In the other scenario where the opposite lane traffic is stopped, a U-turn would still be a safety hazard for the traffic stream coming in from the left and right roads of the junction.
Old 28th September 2006, 00:04   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
I doubt it. If you break this down logically, a right turn not allowed is to prevent flow obstruction to the opposite lane of traffic. In such a scenario, a U-turn would also be a great nuisance not to mention a safety hazard
Possibly a strict U turn is allowed but not U turn in the form that many of our unplanned drivers take - they decide they want to take a U turn at the last minute, so, take a right and then reverse. You are not allowed to take a right turn, reverse and forward 3-4 times taking more right turns and then go your way.
Old 28th September 2006, 00:13   #6
Team-BHP Support

You can take a U Turn unless it is explicitly disallowed. A right turn is to go to a road that runs perpendicular to the current one. That may be disallowed for many reasons. U Turn on the other hand is to take you back down the same road on which you came. The two are completely different.

However, in one case you will be in a soup even if the U Turn is not explicitly disallowed. And that is if the road down which you came is marked as 1-way. In such a case the moment you take a U Turn you are heading down the wrong direction.
Old 28th September 2006, 02:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt it. If you break this down logically, a right turn not allowed is to prevent flow obstruction to the opposite lane of traffic. In such a scenario, a U-turn would also be a great nuisance not to mention a safety hazard.
in right turn u are obstructing the traffic from right going straight or right.
in ur turn u are not obstructing, but sharing with various other traffic. it may be safe to do so unless explicitly prohibited.

it may be prohibited if lane is too narow and turningans sharing at the same time is not possible for traffic at that point.
Old 28th September 2006, 13:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

U turn is permitted, but Right turn is not permitted

This would be in vogue when the road which is perpendicular to your present road is always having a green for the pedestrian when the signal has changed to red for the vehicles. It is a logical glitch. the guy who programmed the signal turns did not get it right. IMHO.
Old 28th September 2006, 16:22   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Well sometimes a Right Turn is banned where as a U Turn is allowed at a junction cause the Road into which one is about to take a Right Turn from the Junction is a One-Way, having traffic moving into the Junction. Common in Bangalore.
Old 28th September 2006, 16:51   #10
Team-BHP Support

The way I read it: No right turn implies no U-turn at that place as well (Unless there is a clear signboard that states otherwise ofcourse). Common sense really as you have to turn right to take that U-turn anyway, so you are, technically, breaking the law.
Old 28th September 2006, 16:51   #11
rks
BANNED

This issue had me confused too. I make the default assumption that U-turn is not allowed in busy intersections unless there is an explicit traffic signal or sign permitting it. For example, if the traffic lights have the usual straight, left and right turn indications, I assume that U-turn is not allowed. At least in Mumbai you sometimes see explicit signs in the centre of the road indicating what turns you can make -- usually they will be marked for left turn, straight and right/U turns -- if there is no explicit sign for the U-turn, I again assume it is not allowed. Note that vehicles behind you in the right lane are usually very close and into the right turn. To make a U-turn under these cirumstances would be risky because the vehicles behind (some of which may already be to your right and pushing to overtake you) will be taken by surprise and will have to brake as you slow down and move into the U-turn. Better to take a right turn, drive some distance, make a U-turn under traffic-free conditions and then take a left turn.

Of course if I see a substantial number of vehicles making a U-turn from the right lane then I follow suit. My point is -- play safe and don't plunge into the U-turn unless it is very clear that it is allowed.
Old 28th September 2006, 19:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
The way I read it: No right turn implies no U-turn at that place as well (Unless there is a clear signboard that states otherwise ofcourse). Common sense really as you have to turn right to take that U-turn anyway, so you are, technically, breaking the law.
Then at certain places why do we have different signs saying NO Right Turn and No U turn ?
And you don't have to take right turn to take U turn. Unless talking about 3 pointed turn.
Old 28th September 2006, 19:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

In pune city atleast no right turn means no u turn as well atleast thats what the traffic cop who fined my friend feels like.
Old 28th September 2006, 19:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
In pune city atleast no right turn means no u turn as well atleast thats what the traffic cop who fined my friend feels like.
Ironically I have seen examples of both.
On the junction where Karve road meets Law college road (which is now one way) police allow you to take U turn, in-fact they help you to take U turn.

And on the very next junction on Karve road near BP petrol pump I have seen people get fined for taking U turn. I think now they have put sign there saying No U turn.
Old 28th September 2006, 20:10   #15
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
I thought you could do whatever you please in Pune -- I didn't know that the cops actually fined offenders.

Anyway, to get to the point: if right turn is illegal and if there is no explicit sign permitting U-turns, the right lane will be for straight-moving traffic. So when the green light is on at the intersection, there could well be fast-moving traffic right behind you that wants to move straight. Second problem would be that the lanes on the other side should be free for you to make the U-turn -- which normally will send your car right across that road (unless it is really wide). So all other signals should be showing red light for entry into that road. If this is not the case you would have to wait to make the U-turn, blocking the straight-moving traffic behind you.

For these reasons and the reasons mentioned in my previous post, the default at busy intersections should be no U-turns unless explicitly permitted. But I don't know what the law actually says.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks