Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2016, 20:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai leads car density rankings at 430 cars per km

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post

Personally when I say Mumbai , I see it from Panvel to Virar and Colaba to Bhiwandi/Badlapur. Whole of Mumbai megapolis comprises many municipal corporations but in case of Bangalore it's easy - just one BBMP. So , it could be possible that they compared MCGM vs BBMP in which case, there is no surprise Bangalore leads Bombay.
Buddy its not what you or I see as a city that is taken in these statistics.

In this case I believe Mumbai numbers to be vehicles registered in Tardeo, Andheri and Wadala RTO limits.
Old 21st June 2016, 21:05   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post

In this case I believe Mumbai numbers to be vehicles registered in Tardeo, Andheri and Wadala RTO limits.
As a matter of fact, what I see is nothing but official Mumbai metropolitan region (MMR). Forgot to mention that in my last post

Check -- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumb...politan_Region

I too believe only those RTOs you mentioned are taken into account for Mumbai. Navi Mumbai and others are probably skipped. Anyways, it's not a healthy development for any city to boast of highest number of cars / vehicles, especially Indian cities. As someone said - "A developed country is not one where poor have cars, but the one where the rich uses public transport "
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 21:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

I have myself been a witness to drastic increase in cars in last 10 years in my neighborhood. we hardly had any 4 wheelers in 2005.but these days parking is difficult in spite of having parking on both sides of road.i am scared to imagine what will happen in next 10 years!

I see the prime reason for all this is : Lack of any development in public transport, forget development it has got worse.
Gone are the days when weekend destination drive was fun and enjoyable, you hit traffic even on weekend outstation drives.

Last edited by silverado : 21st June 2016 at 21:59.
Old 22nd June 2016, 11:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I find that funny. Why would any statistician include just these 3 RTOs, as this is never going to be accurate. Tardeo, Andheri and Wadala RTO, i.e MH01 MH02 and MH03. IMO for a correct picture the stats should add up the numbers from MH01, MH02, MH03, MH04, MH05, MH06, MH46, MH47 and MH48. Still a huge chuck of luxury cars will be left out of the stats because, most of them seem to be registered in JH,PY,DN among others.
Old 22nd June 2016, 11:31   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Can certainly attest to Mumbai's car density going worse. A 13 km commute from work to home that took me 30 - 40 minutes in 2004 shot up to 60 - 90 minutes in 2010.

Luckily, most of my driving is at nights & weekends now, so I'm completely insulated from Mumbai's traffic woes.

Agreed with other BHPians who compliment Mumbai's traffic manners. By & large, people on the road are well behaved. Only 1 in 30 cars turns out to be a moron who'll cut lanes and the like, but for the most part, people drive nicely here. One exception is the 3-wheeler rickshaws of the suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
but I feel Delhi seems to be the Worst with very high % of Lawless driving!
IMHO, Kolkata is the worst in terms of road manners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Lack of any development in public transport, forget development it has got worse.
I feel innovative companies like Uber, Ola, ZoomCar & Myles are reducing car ownership more than public transportation ever did.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 11:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
I find that funny. Why would any statistician include just these 3 RTOs, as this is never going to be accurate. Tardeo, Andheri and Wadala RTO, i.e MH01 MH02 and MH03. IMO for a correct picture the stats should add up the numbers from MH01, MH02, MH03, MH04, MH05, MH06, MH46, MH47 and MH48. Still a huge chuck of luxury cars will be left out of the stats because, most of them seem to be registered in JH,PY,DN among others.
Yeah I missed out some RTOs, but what I wanted to convey is that Thane, Navi Mumbai etc would most probably have been left out of the survey. Thats the only reason I can find now that so many Mumbaikars cannot agree that Mumbai has less number of cars than Pune.
Or probably they are counting district wise. Who knows?
Old 22nd June 2016, 13:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
No offence to you too but I believe I have to disagree with you with some of your observations.

But the sheer amount of disregard to traffic rules that I get to see in Pune day in Day out does not cease to amaze me.

Not just interior roads, but even the main roads bang in the middle of the city with traffic police manning the signals does not deter people from jumping lights, traveling wrong side etc. There is at least a semblance of orderliness in Delhi traffic that way. Of course need to agree that road network in Pune is also not comparable with Delhi. Dividers begin and end randomly and even the widest most busy roads have openings in the dividers made randomly which does in a way affect the movement of traffic too.

Wide roads in Pune? I am yet find them in three years of having moved here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-combined.html

The above thread has details on the number of cars in each of the major cities.
Totally agree with PUNE being worst. Nobody follows traffic rules here, even in front of a traffic hawaldar, people have guts to jump signals, go wrong side, honk relentlessly on red signal, stand in wrong lanes on signal and then create a jam when it goes green by trying to move to opposite side. Pune traffic shows no mercy on anyone and you would be bullied badly if you try to follow traffic rules.<VICTIM>
Being in pune for more than a year now, i am still to make peace with traffic here.

Lived in B'bay for more than 10 years, and i can easily say that the city has got the best traffic sense among all others. Following lanes, Stopping in signals, if you can see any one not following the rules, it very easy to figure out that the registration plate would be from MH46/MH12/MH14 etc.

I feel these stats have not taken MH43 Navi Mumbai into account, and MH46 Panvel/Raigarh which picking up a lot these days, I assume the number would increase by at least 30%.

Talking of Delhi, Have driven in Delhi a lot since all my relatives/inlaws are from there, Delhi is too aggressive on road but still better than Pune as it has good wider roads, people do still fear police a little. Situation is worse in NCR, Noida/Gurgaon are bad in discipline and its very much evident when you cross borders.

Concluding the discussion regarding Delhi Drivers in Mumbai Traffic, Come and see Pune, It's pretty close to what would happen if we put Delhi Drivers in Mumbai Traffic and # of cars. Pune is the blend which is being discussed.

Pune would be the closest, Narrow Roads, High Car density and Mad Drivers !

Last edited by ashishmathur14 : 22nd June 2016 at 13:12. Reason: Multiple edits
ashishmathur14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 13:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
As a matter of fact, what I see is nothing but official Mumbai metropolitan region (MMR). Forgot to mention that in my last post

Check -- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumb...politan_Region

I too believe only those RTOs you mentioned are taken into account for Mumbai. Navi Mumbai and others are probably skipped. Anyways, it's not a healthy development for any city to boast of highest number of cars / vehicles, especially Indian cities. As someone said - "A developed country is not one where poor have cars, but the one where the rich uses public transport "

Yes Agree. The only Indian city that comes close to this is Mumbai IMO. Despite the public transport being outdated (the local trains i.e), they are still very effective and I guess the reason why many in Mumbai still take trains despite owning cars at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
Guys, I have managed to catch hold of a document which has motor vehicle statistics for Maharashtra.

http://www.mahatranscom.in/pdf/MVD%2...%202012-13.pdf

They are 2012-13 Numbers. It is from a government website so I believe the data would have been taken from RTOs. Anyways Cut straightaway to page no. 91 ie. table 62 and you will see number of vehicles regionwise in Maharashtra. As per this number of vehicles in Mumbai and Mumbai sub add up to 2.18 Million

Quite evidently Mumbai figures in reports stated till now do not include Thane and Raigad.
If we include Thane and Raigad too, then it comes to close to 5 Million (although Raigad would contain regions beyond Mumbai Metro limits).

If Bangalore numbers are correct as per the illustrations shared before in the thread and other threads, this would put Mumbai Metropolitain region beyond Bangalore yet quite short of Delhi numbers.

Hope above helps.

Bottom line however is that whatever be the order, all Indian cities are choked with vehicles due to inadequate infrastructure and Public transport facilities.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd June 2016 at 09:47. Reason: Fixed the link
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 14:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishmathur14 View Post
Totally agree with PUNE being worst. Nobody follows traffic rules here, even in front of a traffic hawaldar, people have guts to jump signals, go wrong side, honk relentlessly on red signal, stand in wrong lanes on signal and then create a jam when it goes green by trying to move to opposite side. Pune traffic shows no mercy on anyone and you would be bullied badly if you try to follow traffic rules.
Pune has always been a city of two wheelers even now and that goes as a mindset of many while driving cars aswell. Roads are small as a result lanes are almost nonexistent and everyone stabs to seek any opportunity they get to go ahead from the minimal space they have.. Wonder if they realise whether they are driving a 2 or a 4 wheeler.

Having said this am really surprised it has a number 3 ranking in traffic density. Need of the hour to imply some strict traffic norms in Pune now..

Last edited by ampere : 22nd June 2016 at 14:34. Reason: Reduced quoted content
STraiTDriVE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 14:10   #25

We feel the congestion in Bangalore because there is no infrastructure. I find it hard to digest the designs of the flyovers, take of example the Underpass to get into Manyata, that is horrible, dont know which engineer came up with a design like that It is an every day struggle. Sometimes I wonder what if they could have extended the Thanisandra Flyover to meet the Nagavara one and just make an exit lane into Manyata, things could have been much smoother.

Anyway, big construction plans aside, they cant even get a foot over bridge working. There is one under construction for more than a year now. For Gods sake gimme the tools I will get it done in a Month! Not bragging!
trucksingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 14:27   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basubhatta View Post
Another graphical representation:
Hey can you please provide me with the source of this infographic?
Old 22nd June 2016, 14:32   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
Hey can you please provide me with the source of this infographic?
This is the source.
Old 22nd June 2016, 14:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basubhatta View Post
This is the source.
Thanx, however that article is severely outdated.

While the car density to be highest in Mumbai, it is interesting to see that the traffic sense is commendable. I wonder what can be the reason behind this?

Also, all the articles are blabbering the same thing, "Mumbai leads car density..." but I cant find the actual report that states this? I want to know how other cities fared in the city, not just the top 5 or top 10. Is the actual report available online?
Old 22nd June 2016, 15:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
I want to know how other cities fared in the city, not just the top 5 or top 10. Is the actual report available online?
Please refer http://www.indiastat.com/transport/3...443/stats.aspx
basubhatta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 15:14   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishmathur14 View Post
Totally agree with PUNE being worst. Nobody follows traffic rules here, even in front of a traffic hawaldar, people have guts to jump signals, go wrong side, honk relentlessly on red signal, stand in wrong lanes on signal and then create a jam when it goes green by trying to move to opposite side. Pune traffic shows no mercy on anyone and you would be bullied badly if you try to follow traffic rules.<VICTIM>
Being in pune for more than a year now, i am still to make peace with traffic here...
Absolutely true. People simply assume Delhi to be the worst, but me and my friend had the same reaction after landing in Pune from Delhi. The traffic sense is just atrocious and much worse than Delhi. Even Noida and Gurgaon are better. For a city with such pleasant weather throughout the year, you would expect people to be easy going

On the same topic, I believe Chandigarh has the highest ownership of cars per capita in India. Yet it figures no where in the list. Incidentally it also has a lot of incoming traffic from surrounding states. Goes to show what good planning can achieve.

As to those saying they hope authorities to come up with solutions, really? After all these years you still have this hope? It will keep getting worse no matter what. Some sensible solutions like Metro etc will only alleviate a little, but it's futile hoping things will get better.
avisidhu is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks