Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2016, 18:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

What future plans with your cars / bikes?

Notice the ‘with your cars/bikes’ in the topic heading and not ‘for your car

I know this sounds like a weird title for a thread, but hear me out on what I actually mean.

We are all automotive enthusiasts, we love our rides like they are actual humans. We talk to them, we treat them like a family member, we sob and cry when things go wrong with them, we even schedule our life around when she’ll be the most comfortable being driven. Common, if only we could add her name in the ration card, we would have done that too by now.

Like when we get married, we plan things like our honeymoon, the places we will visit in the next few years, kids, finance, house buying etc etc. Similarly, what kind of future plans do you have with your ride? No this is not a tuning related question, this is more of a future related question with things like:
  1. Will you take her wherever you move?
  2. How long do you plan to keep her?
  3. What if you move to another country?
  4. What if your wife/girlfriend does not like your car?
  5. What if some lucrative car comes along and you have to sell this ride because you need the money to buy that new car/no parking space etc
  6. What if the government introduces some rule in your state and your ride is at the fear of being deregistered?

Please add more questions like these and answer them too. Let me start with mine
  1. Will you take her wherever you move?
    I will take her wherever in this country I move

2. What if you move out of the country?
    Since I plan to move out of India in say 2 years to Canada or Australia, I have already planned to get my Swift Diesel shipped there, there is no question about that. If that country does not accept my Swift Diesel due to some regulations, that country is out. Yes, that’s how it will roll for me.

3. How long do you plan to keep her?
    I plan to keep her forever.

4. What if your wife/girlfriend does not like your car?
    I am not married as of yet, but liking my Swift has to be part of the whole relationship. Yes we can buy other cars too, but the Swift has to be there and I hope she is liked and treated like a family member by my other half too.

5. What if some lucrative car comes along and you have to sell this ride because you need the money to buy that new car/no parking space etc?
    If you had a girlfriend/wife and Katrina Kaif came along and asked you out, would you breakup with your current girlfriend/wife? I guess that answers it for me atleast. I will keep her and save up for the next thing I want even if it means waiting some more time for money to rain. Selling/Exchanging is not an option.

6. What if the government introduces some rule in your state and your ride is at the fear of being deregistered?
    Not applicable for me since I won’t be India for that long but if it does come down to it, I will move to a state where she is legal.

7. Now for the theme of the topic, What plans do I have with her?
    Since I have always loved cars the obvious choice when it came to my education was Automotive Engineering too and Coventry University perfectly suited the bill with the modules, added an MBA in Engineering Management too after that at the same University since the MBA too had all the course content which hinted towards the Automotive field since our Uni is known for its Automotive centric education. Mahindra and Product Planning was my aim after getting back to India, but sadly Mahindra does not recognise passion, nor education and truly works like old school babu’s, gladly my current company does and even though I had no knowledge of the media streaming box field 9 months back, all they cared about was the passion I had for the Automotive field and they said the same would rub on this project too when I got down to it, exactly what happened.

Anyway, Now for the question, Well it’s a long list, I want to click pictures of my other half and my car on road trips wherever we go, since this is the car my dad brought me and since mom dad and me have been for maximum road trips in this, when I am in some other country, this car will make me feel like they are always there. I know it will be mighty expensive to ship this considering the value of shipping will be more than the value of the car, but hey, somethings are just not counted in $, they work in times spent together/years kind of calculation.I want to ride across from Canada to the US in this if I shift to Canada, travel around Australia if I shift there, make my kids experience the car daddy grew up in, relieve old memories with my parents when they do shift to the country I move to, call some of my friends from India to wherever I am and go on road trip like old times. I guess, I ll stop now because this will go on.

Well, let me just close this with a picture of her which I had clicked in Leh.

What future plans with your cars / bikes?-swift.jpg

Please add your answers to the questions I have listed and if you can think of new questions to add, please add so. Let's just make this a fun exercise. I am sure lot many of you have planned stuff in your life intertwined with your car/bike. Add a picture of your ride too so that it gives a perspective to the reader about your story.

Let the show of love begin.

Mods: I hope this is the right section for such a thread.
humyum is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 12:26   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: What future plans with your cars / bikes?

Very unique thread, thanks for sharing! Chipping in with my 2 paisa:

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Will you take her wherever you move?
Love my place & location. Was born here, will die here.

Quote:
How long do you plan to keep her?
Jeep: Undecided

Sunny: At least until she is 8 - 10 years old

530d: At least until she is 8 - 10 years old

Quote:
What if the government introduces some rule in your state and your ride is at the fear of being deregistered?
Not realistic in our country as automotive penetration levels are abysmally low (30 cars / 1000 citizens compared to 800 / 1000 citizens in some developed countries). Even if it comes, will be restricted to a handful of crazy cities.

In the unlikely event that Bombay passes such a rule, I will transfer their registration to a holiday home that I have in a semi-rural part of India.

Quote:
Now for the theme of the topic, What plans do I have with her?
Jeep: Continue driving

Sunny: Continue beating

530d: Have been on ~12 highway trips so far, yet Mumbai-Goa by road has somehow remained elusive. Hope to solve that this year.

Last edited by GTO : 15th August 2016 at 12:28.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 13:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: What future plans with your cars / bikes?

Well, a very nice thread that only we car-crazy people can relate to, to the common masses, this thread will probably look unreal or over-dramatic even Thank you for bringing this up.

My responses for the questions -

I took my car to Coimbatore to register it ( Just to get my favourite 'TN-37' on the number plate ) and the car is currently in Ahmedabad... Moved from Chennai, along with me. So yes I think I have answered it.

Yes, I do intend to keep it forever.

What if you move to another country?
Not thought about this, as I have no plans to move abroad.

What if your wife/girlfriend does not like your car?
I am already married, and she was not given any options to dislike my car.

What if some lucrative car comes along and you have to sell this ride because you need the money to buy that new car/no parking space etc
I have to admit that I had a mild thought like that when Abarth was about to be launched, but quickly got back to my senses the immediate next time I took my 1.6S for a drive.

What if the government introduces some rule in your state and your ride is at the fear of being deregistered?
Mine is a petrol car, but still yes this fear is definitely there, and I guess I would have to visit few Government offices, get few documents, and probably they would allow. As a last resort, a change of heart to meet the prevalent emission norms.
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 16:10   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting thread, here are my takes:

- Well, I don't plan on moving; and if I do - who doesn't love a good road trip?

- As long as she can be used as a reliable daily driver and doesn't spend more time cozying up to the mechanics.
- Or if the needs and requirements change and we are forced to look at another vehicle while she is running strong

- Not happening

- Don't think it is a problem at the moment, and there are always workarounds.

What if some lucrative car comes along and you have to sell this ride because you need the money to buy that new car/no parking space etc

- I don't think I would be in the market unless I need to change her for one of the reasons mentioned above, or she is a nights and weekends ride - in which case, the criteria is completely different.

- I don't see this happening to our vehicles, but if it does, there is no option but to comply with the rules.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 16:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Awesome thread !
My current car is a Swift petrol, am posting with reference to that.

Quote:

Yes, its essential. And there is no reason why not to do so.

Quote:
What if you move out of the country?
Well, sell it off. Else let parents use it till they are in India. This is a bugging question to be honest. We have Innova, Swift and Wagon R.

Innova : will be sold after dad retires. Its doing 1000 kms. a month now, and then it would barely see 300 kms. a month. Dad is planning to shift to A'bad or our native place. Our home in Native place is a large plot but the entrance lane is so narrow, Innova cannot get into compound. Cant park it outside either, it blocks lane and chances of damage via tractors, carts, etc. No need for such a large vehicle then. Might get Ertiga or Vitara Brezza.

Wagon R : will be with me till/if I leave this country. It has factory fitted CNG, is damn cheap to run and maintain. Plus the ingress-egress ease, narrow body which helps in city, its too hard to ignore for a small city getting overtly congested.

Swift : will be too small for parents. My parents would stay with grand parents in A'bad. Will be sold off if I move out.

Quote:
If I stay in India, Swift will be my set of wheels till its over 1.5 lakh kms. or 15 years.

Quote:
Not yet married. Dont know if thats gonna happen in future or not. So its out of question. And its my car, so I will have a complete ruling over it. Have poured in my hard earned money.

Quote:
What if some lucrative car comes along and you have to sell this ride because you need the money to buy that new car/no parking space etc?
In case of such financial scenario, will sell it off. I have to be practical at the end of the day.

Quote:
Register it at native Village though its in Gujarat. Thing is, such rule wont be directly hit at villages. Problem should be solved.

Quote:
Now for the theme of the topic, What plans do I have with her?
Enjoy the drive as long as I can. Nobody knows whats there in future.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 15th August 2016 at 16:27.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 17:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As long as it is in india, yes. In case you're wondering, I will never move to bangalore
Quote:
Original plan was 8 years. It's around 10 now. I'll keep it around as long as
1. Not more than two breakdowns within 6 months ( have not had any so far)
2. Cost of ownership(repair costs etc ) does not exceed a cost of ownership (emi + depreciation etc) of a figo Diesel
3.No New functional requirements (need 7 seats etc)
Quote:
Will stay with my parents or one of my friends. I'm keeping this car around because I'm hoping to go abroad sooner than later, and it doesnt make sense to buy a new car and pay EMI's while it lies idle at home
Quote:
Got married recently, and wife does not have a problem. Future girlfriends - will have to take a call. Past girlfriends have fond memories and still ask me about it!
Quote:
I have not seen such a car yet. I'd rather donate it to my parents than sell it off.
Quote:
Move to another state! Kerala has already introduced a ban on 15+ year old diesels, so I am already thinking of prolonging my stay outside kerala !
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 14:10   #7
BHPian

This thread shows how much you love your car, and there are a number of enthusiasts keep their cars close to the hearts.
The questions need a lot of thought to answer. More than thought, the answer has to come from heart. There are some psychological exercises which require one to use their non-dominant hand to write the answer to some deep questions, so the answers come directly from sub-conscious mind.
Here, since I am typing - I don't know whether I am being truthful, and I might behave very differently, even if same scenarios occur!
  1. Will you take her wherever you move? -- Yes. As long as I am within the country, I plan to take her wherever I move.
  2. How long do you plan to keep her? -- 50000 kms is what I have set as a limit until when I would drive her exclusively. By this, what I means is, I have no plans to buy another car before she crosses 50K. After buying another car also, I intend to keep her as long as I can take good care of her.
  3. What if you move to another country? -- If I happen to move on a long term, I will sell the car, as she would just gather rust. I have no idea to ship cars to different countries.
  4. What if your wife/girlfriend does not like your car? -- Not applicable, she likes the car as much as I do
  5. What if some lucrative car comes along and you have to sell this ride because you need the money to buy that new car/no parking space etc -- Now that you have introduced me to such a possibility, I need to keep some cash ready, instead of being in a situation to sell her because of such reasons!
  6. What if the government introduces some rule in your state and your ride is at the fear of being deregistered? -- Government rules are to be followed, but mine being a Tier-II city, it will take some time before such rules hit my city.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 14:24   #8
Team-BHP Support

At the time of purchasing, every single car I've owned seemed like a perfect car to me, with no real drawbacks. But then my requirements have changed with time, and with it, the cars have too. In the future too, I can see myself giving up an existing car and purchasing something new.

I don't love my car in particular because I own it, and have spent X years or XXXXX kms in it. I pretty much love all cars and the driving pleasure cars offer.

Last edited by SmartCat : 17th August 2016 at 14:25.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 14:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Have a 3 year old Vespa. Going strong. I think the more I ride, the more I save (money wise) . Primary use of Vespa is to use instead of autos for short distances. So far done 16k kms. Plan to keep for a long time.

Earlier Punto was kept for almost 7 years. Not much kms done, but plan to change that with our new Punto. So far my plan is one trip a month to a new place. Can be a short day trip or a weekend or even a weeklong. So far I've done 3k kms and that's way faster than our old Punto. It's a car you drive to have fun and not just commute.

Don't plan to sell Vespa at all, and plan to keep the car for atleast 6-8 years or even more.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 18:08   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

With increasing liabilities of personal life and for my dependents, I plan to drop 2-wheeler commuting fully and shift completely to cars.

The way we have increasing number of maniacs on road day after day, I always feel to be living on the mercy of others while commuting by a 2 wheeler. Yes, we are not immune to this being in a car but we are exponentially safe than being on a 2 wheeler.

I witness at least 5-6 accidents every week in my limited commute of 10 kms each day, out of which 99% involve 2 wheelers. Some get up themselves, some are lifted by others out of which some are carried eventually to a hospital. A sight as such is enough to make a sane rider jittery. And then I wonder how thick skinned and moronic people are they who still prefer to ride rash, disobey traffic rules and act (over)smart.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 18:32   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
At the time of purchasing, every single car I've owned seemed like a perfect car to me, with no real drawbacks. But then my requirements have changed with time, and with it, the cars have too. In the future too, I can see myself giving up an existing car and purchasing something new.

I don't love my car in particular because I own it, and have spent X years or XXXXX kms in it. I pretty much love all cars and the driving pleasure cars offer.
Echo smartcat's comments. I dont really feel emotionally attached to my cars/bikes or any other electronic gadget to hang on to it forever. The only reason I own a particular model of a car/bike is that it fits my requirements at that given point of time. And among the choices I have, I go with what my heart wants. Then as long as it continues to meet my requirements, I will take good care of it and enjoy it to the max. But if my requirements change (could be triggered by any of the reasons mentioned), I will have no hesitation in letting it go.

There are a lot of cars out there that I love. If it were feasible, I would get a new one every year.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 17th August 2016 at 18:40.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 00:34   #12
BHPian

Interesting/fun thread. Like most of us, I am also very attached to my Bikes and Cars. Here is my response to your questions.
Quote:
Absolutely. Infant the best part of the day is when I ride the bike/drive the car to and from the office.
Quote:
I am never going to sell my first bike and car. Since I have bought the car and bike I dreamt of when I was little, it just brings out the child in me everytime I drive it and plasters a stupid grin on my face. If it remains in good condition, I will probably going to pass to my kids, hoping that they share the same passion for bikes and car as me.
Quote:
Never going to happen. I was born here and will die here.
Quote:
I am not married so that question is out of the way and liking my car and bike would be one of prerequisites if she wants to spend her life with me.
Quote:
Like I said, selling is out of the picture, probably gift it to parents or kids. I love my car and bike I will find a way to keep them with me. Always!
Quote:
We have residentship of four states (Two of them are Tier-II cities) so that is not going to be an issue.
Old 12th March 2018, 12:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

An interesting thread. Let me pen down my plans (actually thoughts).

MS Vitara Brezza 2017.

MS Brezza is a six months old car with more than 10000km on the odometer. I am quite satisfied with it but the itch of an upgrade will always remain there. EV is future but before embarking on that future, I think I"ll go for one more IC car. MS Breeza will stay with me for maximum 3 years (loan period). Maybe after three years, I"ll upgrade/ replace my MS Brezza with Jeep Renegade (That's the only car comes to my mind as of now).

MS Swift Dzire 2009

We are replacing this car(Dad's car) with a new hatch. We are going to finalize a replacement car(most probably Honda WRV) within this week. This car is in nice conditions with just 65000kms on Odo. I am going to keep this car under my custody and use it as a beater car in my office.

Royal Enfiled Classic 350 2012

I travelled half of India(Including Ladakh) by this motorcycle. I have no plan to replace it or upgrade it in near future.
Old 12th March 2018, 15:15   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Am a bike guy, the cars in the family have always belonged to the wife and are in her name.

My first bike was a '94 Shogun, then I picked up a '07 RE TB350 and a '08 Pulsar 180. I always thought I'd keep the Shogun and the Bullet forever, but now I've decided to put them up for sale soon on the TBHP Classifieds.

I haven't managed to find the time (or the motivation rather) to get the Shogun into shape and use it. As for the Bullet, I haven't used it the way it needs to be used in over a year and a half; the last long ride I took was back to Bangalore from Leh in September 2016. Also, I'd rather have a more reliable bike from a manufacturer with some sort of quality control process in place, a dealer network with less attitude, and a more extensive service network for long rides (I mean BEYOND the Bangalore-Mysore highway ).

So, will use the head over the heart, beat down nostalgia and sell the Bull and the Shogun. Plan to pick up something like the XPulse or the Yamaha 250 for long rides. The 180 is going good for what I need it for, so will keep the Pulsar for the daily commute till it sees about 80k km (that's still 30k km away). After that, I'm pretty sure my next commuter bike will be electric.

Last edited by am1m : 12th March 2018 at 15:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks