Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2016, 11:15   #16
BHPian

Is the speed camera used an electrode type one as used in Kerala? I have seen that almost all drivers know the position of electrodes, after 6 months, they slow down just there and then drive off at higher speed. Do we have other camera based on lidar/laser in India?

80kmph in a 6 lane express way seems to be low. In Kerala 2 lane NH, max speed limit is 85kmph and on 4 lane, 90kmph.

Last edited by GTO : 10th September 2016 at 11:21. Reason: Typos
ontheroad is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 10th September 2016, 11:17   #17
BHPian

An article in newspaper today said that one of the measures proposed by government along with reverse sensors is also a warning noise everytime you cross 80kmpl.I hope they don't come up with rule that the noise should be made at 15 seconds intervals or so.
Old 10th September 2016, 13:04   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cops experimenting with speed cameras on Mumbai-Pune expressway; clock car @ 174 km/h

Viewed in isolation 174 kmph is shocking but I can't help but feel a bit of sympathy for the much-maligned BMW driver (the image of the speeding car has made it to front page of local newspapers). The fact is that the speed limits mandated on the expressway and elsewhere are ridiculous and have no scientific basis. For example there is a stretch of a somewhat steep downward ramp at Chandani Chowk near my home that has a mandated limit of 10 kmph. One early morning when there was literally nobody else around I tried sticking to the limit and realized that it could literally get somebody killed in normal traffic.

On the expressway it isn't that extreme. 80 kmph is OK for most stretches in my opinion but the way 80 drops to 30 without prior warning is not acceptable. And the particular section where Mr BMW was photographed is good for 100 maybe even 120 with ease.

One hates to break the law but even lawmakers need to be reasonable. If this CCTV business becomes the norm with the existing speed limits in place, it will result in unfair targeting of random drivers. Bluntly put, NOBODY follows the limit on the e-way, horrible as that sounds.
Old 10th September 2016, 13:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cops experimenting with speed cameras on Mumbai-Pune expressway; clock car @ 174 km/h

To those who recommend having higher speed limits or ridiculing the present ones, I can only say that we have got better cars and worse drivers.

Not wearing seat belts, not maintaining vehicle in a good condition, not adhering to any rules - it's risky even at 40kmph. Unless we improve as drivers, the speed limits won't matter.

When I first went on to the expressway when it had been constructed only till Lonavla, I pulled over to the side and fastened the seat belt. Having driven a Premier Padmini which struggled to go past 60kmph and had no seat belts, fastening it in the Fiat Uno gave me the confidence to take the car to 3 digit speeds on the almost empty road. From that point on, I have seldom driven a km without seat belt.

Yesterday my brother, while driving to Pune, had the rear tyre of his Ikon burst. Having just finished an overtaking manoeuvre he was still in the right most lane, though under the speed limit. He quickly pulled over in the shrubs between the two carriageways and stopped. The tyre had shredded to show the steel threads inside.

What if he had been driving at 120 instead of 80?

The speed limit is used as a guide. We generally tend to drive over the limit, especially when the route is familiar and the car is feeling good and we have an adrenaline rush. But then again in the back of our mind we know we are over the limit. If the limit is pushed up, so will be the degree to which we violate it. You may continue driving at 20% higher speeds than the limit, but you might still be better of with a limit of 80 than of 120.

So I think unless we all learn to drive WITHIN the stipulated limit, there is precious little that can improve with an increase in the speed limit.

Oh, and there never were any Minimum Speed boards on the expressway, it was media hype that said the boards indicated the minimum speed limits.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 13:41   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

80 kmph is a joke on the expressway. With all the modern cars, 100 kmph is an easy cruising speeds (except for the likes of Nano which has a top speed around that). While speed check is a good thing to have to reduce atrocious speeds, they should also monitor lane discipline.

Whenever I have driven through the expressway, I have seen numerous heavy vehicles plying in the middle lane. Add to it, personal vehicles trotting at minimal speed on the right most lane (when other lanes are free). All these forces others to overtake in the wrong way and can lead to accidents. I always frown because, you never know what's the speed other vehicles carry on the road and you trying to overtake from the left is a risky affair (without much of a choice).

A whole lot of other state vehicles ply through the expressway, so how do the authorities plan to charge these vehicles for over speeding?
Old 10th September 2016, 13:57   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

So I think unless we all learn to drive WITHIN the stipulated limit, there is precious little that can improve with an increase in the speed limit.
That's quite obvious. Nobody is defending the guy who was doing 174 k. But its quite possible that the next guy caught like this is doing 105 or 90 or 81. It's the grey areas that are worrying not the open and shut ones.

Quote:
Oh, and there never were any Minimum Speed boards on the expressway, it was media hype that said the boards indicated the minimum speed limits.
Not sure whose comment you are responding to here but in general on a freeway there is a reasonable minimum speed limit expected. My friend was pulled over in Arizona for doing 38 in a 75 zone and let off with a warning for obstructing traffic. The correct thing to do is to use the slow lane (leftmost in India) if you are unsure of your or your vehicle's ability to stay around the speed limit.
Old 10th September 2016, 14:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashankjk View Post
An article in newspaper today said that one of the measures proposed by government along with reverse sensors is also a warning noise everytime you cross 80kmpl.I hope they don't come up with rule that the noise should be made at 15 seconds intervals or so.
I thought the highway / expressway speed limit had been upped to 100kph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Chandani Chowk near my home that has a mandated limit of 10 kmph. One early morning when there was literally nobody else around I tried sticking to the limit and realized that it could literally get somebody killed in normal traffic.

On the expressway it isn't that extreme. 80 kmph is OK for most stretches in my opinion but the way 80 drops to 30 without prior warning is not acceptable.
One hates to break the law but even lawmakers need to be reasonable.
The speed limits must be kept realistic - say 40 or 50kph, and lower posted limits must not be allowed. In the UK it used to be 30mph (with 40 on dual carriageways), Germany was 50kph and France 60 kph. I will vote for 50kph.

I also agree dropping from 80 to 30 is a no-no. Not more than 20kph steps should be allowed.

Last edited by noopster : 10th September 2016 at 16:47. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 10th September 2016, 17:15   #23
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I think one option is to identify the stretches where > 80kmph could be allowed (especially where it is straight) and then reduced speeds can be 80kmph or even lesser where necessary like the dangerous curves, etc where there have been accidents in the past.

Also, restricting vehicle types (large, overloaded trucks for example) and having lane discipline (may be too much to expect!), even a Minimum speed limit would help so no vehicles are allowed to drive slower than that limit. Many freeways in the USA have such limits (remember driving very slowly when others are driving at much higher speeds is equally if not even more dangerous!).
Old 10th September 2016, 17:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

I've never been on the MPEW, so will not comment specifically.

I think it's time these cops find a way to disguise the speed trap. 174 kmph on any Indian road is too dangerous. I would max do 120 kmph when the condition permits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
This was in news yesterday ..
Not easy to implement but at least segregate speed limits for heavy vehicles, transport vehicles, passenger vehicles, light vehicles etc.
This always increases chances of accidents. If all people maintain speeds between 80-110 kmph, the traffic "flows" and there will be lesser number of trucks holding up traffic.

As a car driver, your aim should be to maintain a high average speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Minimum speed limit would help so no vehicles are allowed to drive slower than that limit.
I was surprised to see a truck do over 65 mph on the freeway when cars are doing 75-80 mph. With lesser difference in speed, I think higher averages can be easily achieved.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks