Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2016, 14:19   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mamoo Patrol: Confronting Traffic Offenders in Mumbai

This is just brilliant!
I think its more to do with the tone you guys use that does not allow the situation to get to a boil.
However, I shudder to think what would happen if someone did something similar in Delhi/NCR, UP, or Haryana. You guys have a very polite city. Amazing.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 23:11   #62
BHPian

Looks like these guys are doing some sort of herculean favor to you guys by following the traffic rules! Not one of them seems to have accepted or even understood that they are in the wrong.

I've heard of something like this happening in some other country (UAE/Oman IIRC) where the locals would shame such law breakers by calling them anti-nationals for breaking the nations (road) laws. Since nationalism/patriotism is the magic word in our country these days, how about trying that the next time eh?
GeneralJazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 15:45   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
I saw the first webisode on Team-BHP and others were pointed by an unknown source outside TBHP. Hence adding it here for anyone who has missed these subsequent vids.
Hey Fraz33r, thank you for the appreciation and for sharing the links here.

Yes, the reason we made these vid was exactly that - for introducing change. Perhaps not immediate change, but surely in the future. Raising awareness is the first step and judging by the response so far, I think the message has hit home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
One question - are these guys this quiet because of the camera ?
Thank you, condor. Yes, I believe the camera plays a big role in keeping most of the offenders civilized. There are however, a few "special" cases, who get even more aggravated when they see the camera - they don't twice about breaking traffic rules, creating a nuisance and jeopardising the safety of other people, but turn very defensive when they find their misdemeanours being filmed. Smells like hypocrisy to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
This is one real good initiative. I have been following your videos since the first one, and they have been good, and with a motive to educate the wrong doers and let them know the correct ways of riding/driving...Once again kudos on the good job of educating the wrong doers on the road, and hoping that this not turn into an ego issue

Hi CAPTAIN REX. First off all, thank you for the words of praise and for following the videos - much appreciated.

As for your queries -

1. The area we were in, for the last video, had a very congested road and lot of traffic. We were being a bit more firm than usual, since a few of the bikers, took off at high speed when we stopped them. This was a serious accident risk and we were focussed mainly on stopping them and turning them back ASAP, hence the lack of the usual explanations and the warnings of us working with the police. Bikers were coming from the wrong side, almost every minute and a few times we had a whole cluster of 4-5 bikes stopped by the side of the road - there was little time for explanation and we had to clear the road.

2. All of the bikers were well aware, that we were stopping them for going the wrong way. We stopped about 50 bikers in a span of 1.5 hours and a lot of the footage has not made it to the vid, since we did not want to needlessly shame people, who agreed amiably - which was the large majority of the bikers. Rest assured, that they were under no false impressions of being stopped due to any work being conducted further down the road.

3. You've put your points across quite lucidly and civilly...I'd be a bit mad to take any offence to what you've said. Infact, I wish there were more people like you, who raise questions and ask for explanations, the way you did. So no question of any ego issues here, friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
However, I shudder to think what would happen if someone did something similar in Delhi/NCR, UP, or Haryana. You guys have a very polite city. Amazing.
Thanks mayankk. Yes, our endeavour is always to be as polite as possible, so as not to let the situation spiral out of control. People can have very fragile egos, when confronted with their wrongdoings.

The camera certainly helps, also.

I've lived in Delhi the vast majority of my life. Believe it or not, if we had the resources, we'd happily do this in Delhi. I don't think the reactions would be as severe as a lot of people are imagining them to be - Plus we'd go adequately prepared, by way of having a larger team, incase things got out of hand. Police support would also be a necessity.

Hope we get to do this soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Looks like these guys are doing some sort of herculean favor to you guys by following the traffic rules! Not one of them seems to have accepted or even understood that they are in the wrong.
Hey GeneralJazz, actually, we have hours and hours of footage of people apologizing and swearing to follow the straight and narrow (atleast as far as traffic rules are concerned) after we confronted them. We don't upload the vast majority of footage, since we don't want to needlessly put them on the video. The people we do put, are in the minority and are either very blatantly doing something very stupid and/or dangerous, or are unapologetic about it.
ads1485 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 16:43   #64
BHPian

Amazing job. If there were a group doing this in Bangalore, i would join them. I stopped an IT guy the other day from riding on the footpath, he argued for a bit stating that i have no rights to stop him since i do not own the foot path. But i said, i own it partly since i pay taxes.

Sad to see educated guys being atrocious.
deadguy25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2016, 19:24   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
Amazing job. If there were a group doing this in Bangalore, i would join them. I stopped an IT guy the other day from riding on the footpath, he argued for a bit stating that i have no rights to stop him since i do not own the foot path. But i said, i own it partly since i pay taxes.
Education is unfortunately no deterrent for people to act like pigs, out on the roads. What gets me is the aggression which with people respond when confronted with their wrong doings. How about just owning up to your mistake and going on your merry way?

Fragile egos man...fragile egos.

Thank you for the appreciation and cheers for stopping that buffoon. With small steps, change is inevitable.
ads1485 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 15:39   #66
BHPian

Any reason why the original video is unavailable?
deep_bang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 14:10   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Any reason why the original video is unavailable?
The videos on YouTube have been set to private, because I'm planning on putting them on a new channel, dedicated solely to videos such as these.

You can still find them on FB though -

Cheers/Ad
ads1485 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks