Team-BHP - Video: Karnataka man comes up with innovative parking solution for his Zen
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Video: Karnataka man comes up with innovative parking solution for his Zen (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/180620-video-karnataka-man-comes-up-innovative-parking-solution-his-zen.html)

I must say that's quite an intelligent way of utilising the dead space!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_kDNjPAjJI

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pferdestarke (Post 4068066)
I must say that's quite an intelligent way of utilising the dead space!

Thank you. That is just... wonderful!

I admire the guy's ingenuity, and also his driving skills. Perhaps it is not as tight as it looks in the video, but, getting home tired, the last thing I would want to do is the hair-accurate reverse with the wall on one side and the tree on the other. But perhaps they actually help in lining up the car. I think I'd need a rubber buffer to protect my rear bumper too: I'm sure there would be days when I misjudged the braking after the steep climb!

Another great thing about this device is that he has built himself a very good maintenance platform too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 4068125)
Perhaps it is not as tight as it looks in the video, but, getting home tired, the last thing I would want to do is the hair-accurate reverse with the wall on one side and the tree on the other.

:D You said it! Getting home tired after office, and the last thing on the mind would be not getting the car scratched here and there while reverse parking.

Its an ingenious solution and a good utilization of space, but unfortunately, will have to be thought over again when the car gets upgraded.

Is there a door in the corner, that leads to his living room directly?

Quote:

Perhaps it is not as tight as it looks in the video, but, getting home tired, the last thing I would want to do is the hair-accurate reverse with the wall on one side and the tree on the other.

Apart from his ingenuity in creating a parking spot, we must appreciate his benevolence for not chopping off the tree. I reckon most of the folks would consider it a mere obstacle and simply try to get rid of it.

Quote:

Another great thing about this device is that he has built himself a very good maintenance platform too.

Like they say "necessity is the mother of invention." :D

Well the car number seems very apt.. 007! ;)

The weight of the car, when parked, is biased towards the front. That's more load on the front suspension and other components.

Quote:

Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 (Post 4068129)
Its an ingenious solution and a good utilization of space, but unfortunately, will have to be thought over again when the car gets upgraded.

I viewed a house once, where the owner told me that the tiny drive could accomodate an M800 and nothing bigger.

Quote:

Is there a door in the corner, that leads to his living room directly?
Door to the house, certainly. He cannot get in or out when the car is "stowed."
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pferdestarke (Post 4068135)
,,, we must appreciate his benevolence for not chopping off the tree.

Good point. Appreciated.

Wouldn't it have been more easy for the platform to rotate out at 45/90 deg angle than sliding out? It would be easier to park or get out that way :)

A very well thoughtout solution nevertheless!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chakri400 (Post 4068301)
Wouldn't it have been more easy for the platform to rotate out at 45/90 deg angle than sliding out? It would be easier to park or get out that way

Rotating doesn't seem to be a good idea to me and I reckon it's impractical too.

If you closely observe the parking space, the left corner of front bumper would definitely scrape the staircase upon rotating the platform.

Seems like that guy did his math right and went for the slidable one!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pferdestarke (Post 4068309)
Rotating doesn't seem to be a good idea to me and I reckon it's impractical too.

If you closely observe the parking space, the left corner of front bumper would definitely scrape the staircase upon rotating the platform.

Seems like that guy did his math right and went for the slidable one!

I totally agree that he would have thought through every possible way considering that he has done a very good non-ordinary job. To keep the tree and make parking easier and not knowing many constraints there may be, I was thinking are there ways to make it easier. May be slide out and then rotate (again goes with a lot of assumptions).

Quote:

Originally Posted by chakri400 (Post 4068368)
... I was thinking are there ways to make it easier. May be slide out and then rotate (again goes with a lot of assumptions).

My first thought was to add a turntable. I didn't go to youtube, or otherwise see who the guy is and what is the story behind this, but I'm guessing that he probably had a huge number of ideas, and probably settled, or even aimed for the simplest solution that would work. Engineer by profession? Or just by inclination. He has not done everything that could be done, just what needed to be done to make this work. It seems very professional to me.

I'm so envious of those gifts, because, even getting the measurements right would be beyond me! :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by chakri400 (Post 4068368)
...I was thinking are there ways to make it easier. May be slide out and then rotate (again goes with a lot of assumptions).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 4068378)
...he probably had a huge number of ideas, and probably settled, or even aimed for the simplest solution that would work.

Yes, I totally agree with you both! There could be many other ways to solve his problem. As Thad E Ginathom said, he might've chosen the easiest one.

How did he brake the car with such accuracy? After such a steep incline when he was accelerating the car and this is followed by almost non-existent distance for braking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 4068438)
How did he brake the car with such accuracy? After such a steep incline when he was accelerating the car and this is followed by almost non-existent distance for braking.

If you closely observe the ramp, there are metal wedges, helping him to stop the car at right point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pferdestarke (Post 4068608)
... there are metal wedges, helping him to stop the car at right point.

Wow. That guy thought of everything! :)

Thanks for sharing, Pferdestarke! Moving your post & the replies to an independent thread.