Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2016, 12:16   #1
BHPian

SMS challans for Traffic Violators in Mumbai

Read this in TOI this morning and thought of sharing it here. While this is good I am not sure about them having correct numbers in the database. For instance, someone could give a fake number while registering. So maybe they need to have some kind of a mechanism (like OTP or something similar) to ensure that the number is legitimate and correct as well.

Adding to this how do they plan to track number changes for an owner in the sense that I gave a number while registering but I changed it down the line. In that case how will the offender get the challan?

Also what about vehicle resale cases? What if the new buyer does not update the number in the records

Quote:

Now, Mumbaikars receive challans for traffic violations through SMS

MUMBAI: Mumbai is perhaps the only city where motorists have started receiving challans for traffic violations on their cellphones. From Tuesday, a hawk-eyed team of constables in the traffic control room began scanning cameras to look for offenders and generate challans bearing photographic evidence as well as a link to make payments online. Details of those booked for more than five offences will be forwarded to the RTO for suspension of licences.

Till Monday, traffic police issued an average of 6,000 manual challans daily. But it's time consuming, has scope for corruption and gives cops less time to regulate traffic.

"Around 4,717 cameras have been installed across the city. We have put together a team of 25 constables in our control room who are responsible for generating challans to be sent via SMS," said joint commissioner, traffic, Milind Bharambe. Spot challans won't be discontinued but will become cashless. "Our field personnel will be equipped with 500 hand-held devices where offenders can pay fines using debit or credit cards. Those who don't possess plastic money can go to the concerned traffic chowky where an agency will collect fines," said Bharambe.

Of the operators, 20 will scan cameras installed at junctions and select images where offenders can be clearly seen breaking rules. These will be forwarded to the other five operators who will key in vehicle registration number, location and date of the offence into a software to generate a challan. This challan will reach the offender via SMS, with a picture of the offence among other details. "At locations like Bandra-Worli sealink, smart cameras capture screenshots of vehicles when they cross 80kmph. In such cases, the owner of the vehicle will receive a mobile challan for speeding," said an official. There is no scope of altering this type of challan.

"Fines for traffic violations can also be paid at Vodafone's cash payment points and will be transferred to the traffic police. We are in talks with utility bill payment centres in the city," said Bharambe.

Sending challans via post failed in some parts of India. "It used to cost Rs 35 per challan in Hyderabad," said Bharambe, explaining the idea behind mobile challans. "In Mumbai, we have compiled a database with mobile numbers of 15 lakh motorists. There are around 28 lakh vehicles in the city and in a few months, we should have all numbers in the database."
Source
centaur is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 15:44   #2
BHPian

re: SMS challans for Traffic Violators in Mumbai

This has been implemented in Navi Mumbai since long. I got a letter stating the offence and fine to be paid (offence on 22nd August, got letter after 1 month). The letter had details and a CCTV footage printout as below. I have cropped the other details which had almost everything. Engine number, chassis number, address of owner, insurance details (somehow it showed the details and expiry of the very first insurance when I purchased the car).

SMS challans for Traffic Violators in Mumbai-untitled.jpg

The letter mentioned that I had my car on the zebra crossing at a signal (Most probably signal had turned red at the end moment and I went a little ahead instead of emergency braking. Completely my fault here ). The fine mentioned was Rs. 200 to be paid within 7 days after receiving the letter. There were 3 options of paying the fine:
1) Online (http://echallan.mahaonline.gov.in/Forms/Home.aspx)
2) Maharashtra E-seva kendra (The centres which do your adhar card and other govt related work)
3) CBD police station (below the flyover)

I tried online and it threw some inconvenience error after clicking pay. Next I went to the E-seva kendra as it is near to my house. As expected they were not sure if their systems could accept(!) this fine. Just to try my luck went to Vashi traffic police chowki and then asked if they can accept it. No. I was told to visit CBD only! Took a bus till there and the traffic police saheb asked me all vehicle documents in original . Again came home and took all possible documents and finally paid the fine. Got a proper receipt. Looking at the saheb I didn't dare to ask if my car has been caught somewhere else or not.

So what happens if you don't pay? Nothing. Just that when you plan to sell or move your car and want a NOC, that's where they will trouble you. They will bring out the history of offences and make you pay and then only NOC will be issued. The Vashi traffic police gave me an example of a person who took his car to Gujarat and during NOC, Gujarat RTO told him of his offence done in Maharashtra. He was forced to visit Maharashtra RTO, pay fine and then only the NOC was issued.

All in all its a good process. While coming back after paying, I saw 7 bikes and 3 cars standing over zebra crossing at a junction with CCTVs. Wonder if everyone will get it or not.

Last edited by Dodge_Viper : 5th October 2016 at 15:45.
Dodge_Viper is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 13:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: SMS challans for Traffic Violators in Mumbai

One of my cars is driven by different drivers whenever it goes out. Part time drivers. Whose license will be suspended if it is based on the car registration number ?
Altocumulus is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 15:11   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
This has been implemented in Navi Mumbai since long.
The article posted speaks of SMS notification and not paper challans. paper challans are being sent in Pune also from a long time but its the sms part I am more interested in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Whose license will be suspended if it is based on the car registration number ?
I suppose it will be the person on whose name the vehicle is registered but not completely sure because what will happen in case of corporate registered vehicles
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 15:24   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
One of my cars is driven by different drivers whenever it goes out. Part time drivers. Whose license will be suspended if it is based on the car registration number ?
They would send it to the registered address of the person's name mentioned as car owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
The article posted speaks of SMS notification and not paper challans. paper challans are being sent in Pune also from a long time but its the sms part I am more interested in
That's correct. But I doubt if RTO has database of phone numbers. Considering the fact how people switch their numbers/have multiple connections.
Old 7th October 2016, 20:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
That's correct. But I doubt if RTO has database of phone numbers. Considering the fact how people switch their numbers/have multiple connections.
Remember when the No helmet, No petrol rule was implemented in Mumbai, during the initial days, the cops at every petrol pump were noting down the phone number of every vehicle driver with the vehicle registration number. Maybe they'll get the phone numbers from there.
Old 10th October 2016, 21:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They would send it to the registered address of the person's name mentioned as car owner.
Wow ! So there is a possibility of my license being suspended sitting in Bangalore because of my car in Kolkata.
Altocumulus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 19:05   #8
BHPian

Today morning while on my way to refueling my bike, one of the CCTVs at a very busy junction(chembur-govandi stn rd,below freeway) caught me without a helmet. I accept the consequences of my actions. I got a message with challan and a link to pay it online. To my surprise they charge 100rs extra as a compounding fees which I think is bit of a stretch. Is there any other way to pay the challan possibly offline?
Old 29th December 2016, 05:58   #9
BHPian

The Bandra-Worli Sea-Link now has automatic speed cams installed - and they work! I got to know the hard way - got E-Challaned for speed violation and paid the penalty of Rs.1000 online.
Attached Thumbnails
SMS challans for Traffic Violators in Mumbai-resource255349.jpg  

nishantbhatia84 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2016, 15:24   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
The Bandra-Worli Sea-Link now has automatic speed cams installed - and they work! I got to know the hard way - got E-Challaned for speed violation and paid the penalty of Rs.1000 online.
Got lucky - some people have reported having to pay up to Rs. 2000/- in fines.

On the plus side, I am glad to see more people waiting at lights; though they end up driving a little more aggressively when they can.
2 of our cars have met with fender benders this month itself!
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 19:02   #11
BHPian

A tweet from Maharashtra CM says that there are approx 2 lakh e-challans issued. But does not say anything about how many of them actually paid up

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 21:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

Just wondering if a junction has a speed camera installed and there is a traffic constable directing traffic but standing out of sight and he directs you to move when signal is still red, what do you do then ?

Note from Mod:

The discussion is being continued in this thread :
Link

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th February 2017 at 10:00. Reason: Adding a closing note :)
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks