Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2016, 13:02   #1
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Olympian Dipa Karmakar may return BMW gifted to her

Dipa Karmakar is requesting for another vehicle in lieu of the BMW presented to her recently due to narrow roads and lack of BMW service backup in Agartala.

Quote:
"In Agartala, the roads are narrow and I don't think i can drive a BMW there", Dipa told Express.
"And there is no BMW service centre in Agartala. What am I supposed to do if I get a flat tyre ? So I have requested them to give me a more practical vehicle, or maybe give me the money to buy something that is available in Agartala".
Source
NPV is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 13:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Olympian Dipa Karmakar may return BMW gifted to her

Seems to be a practical level headed girl (or has an adviser who is). A lot of folks would want to show off with the BMW-especially if it is in a city where it is not common.

Hope she gets the money equivalent. Little doubtful since I assume this would have also been a brand promotion exercise for BMW.
Rajeevraj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 14:01   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

She got the X1 right? Well, it's a relatively compact SUV and has the ground clearance to tackle semi-urban towns. Am sure she can easily manage the X1 there.

But yes, if & when things go wrong, it'll be a nightmare to visit the dealership for service, maintenance & repairs.

Bad press for BMW. Will make all those without a BMW dealer in their vicinity think twice (and rightly so). She should get a Creta, Tucson or Santa Fe (Hyundai dealer there in Agartala) . A far more reliable brand too.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 14:18   #4
BHPian

Apart from the reason she gives, I suppose the maintenance/service costs would alse be a major contributor in this decision of hers.
centaur is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 14:20   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
She should get a Creta, Tucson or Santa Fe (Hyundai dealer there in Agartala) . A far more reliable brand too.
Imagine the press coup it would be for Hyundai if they were to present her with one: "Dipa Karmakar replaces BMW X1 with Hyundai Santa Fe".
arunphilip is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 14:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post

Imagine the press coup it would be for Hyundai if they were to present her with one: "Dipa Karmakar replaces BMW X1 with Hyundai Santa Fe".
Totally arunphilip and the cherry on the cake for all of us here would be:

"As suggested on the TBHP Forum" !!

Not that Hyundai need any favours to sell their already superhit products, but this alone can put them right up there in the premium German class.
Vik0728 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 14:44   #7
BHPian

The BMW's are fun till the warranty lasts
cosmic_ocean is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 16:52   #8
BHPian

If the problem about the car is what she said, why couldn't she just sell the car? Will there be any clause/stigma preventing her from selling the car?

Last edited by crdi : 13th October 2016 at 16:54. Reason: Added a question
Old 13th October 2016, 18:59   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
If the problem about the car is what she said, why couldn't she just sell the car? Will there be any clause/stigma preventing her from selling the car?
There can be some kind of clause. Apart from that few other reasons I can think of.
  • Will not look nice if she sells it. The sensation hungry media will scream loud and come up with a bunch of conspiracy theories. In addition, I don't think she has got the delivery yet. The key handover was more of a formality I suppose.
  • Hassle of finding a buyer and the formalities associated with it.
  • The depreciation hit. It becomes a Pre-Owned car and will lose value.

In the current scenario, she has called it out in a practical way. Actually puts the onus on BMW if they meant it to be a brand building exercise. Maybe provide some special 5 year warranty/maintenance package with free road side assistance. If they let it slide, it is going to be some negative publicity.

Probably a first- Someone telling no to a free BMW in public. If nothing else, atleast their ego will be hurt
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 19:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Well, she isn't a cricketer, who can manage to sell a gift ( link )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Probably a first- Someone telling no to a free BMW in public. If nothing else, atleast their ego will be hurt
That is easily managed - they can replace X1 with a mini.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 19:29   #11
BHPian

In my opinion, the decision to gift a BMW is fairly stupid. As a budding sportsperson who can probably go places, it would do her a world of good if she can be provided with world class training infrastructure and the support to prepare for international events. Gifting of a BMW appears to be more of a media attention seeking tactic.

While a BMW may help her get around Agartala or any other place, the very fact that she stated maintenance costs being a challenge go on to show that she rather spend her energy and money on training for upcoming events rather than worry about what can end up being a white elephant for her.

Our sports officials are indeed very weird or plain stupid!!
vikramk is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 20:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramk View Post
Our sports officials are indeed very weird or plain stupid!!
Sorry to nitpick, BMW was gifted by a businessman in his personal capacity.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 21:21   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Sorry to nitpick, BMW was gifted by a businessman in his personal capacity.
His argument still stands though.

Someone who can afford that kind of money as a gift would be much better advised to facilitate better training for the athlete. Makes no difference to the giver money-wise, and the recipient gains in a meaningful way instead of an impractical post-facto gift that may becomes a headache to maintain.

That makes me think, why don't our multi-millionaire sportspeople and tycoons who publicly bemoan the lack of support for these athletes, actually offer to adopt these athletes' responsibility? Even one each would go a long way I'd guess, and the rich chaps probably won't even notice the cash outgo.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th October 2016 at 21:25.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 21:28   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think I would accept a car I cannot afford to buy (and run) even as a free gift. A car of a certain cost brings with it the expectation of a certain kind of lifestyle. Maintenance costs rise more than proportionately to the purchase price.

So agree fully - presenting her a BMW is like a King giving you a White Elephant - you can neither afford to maintain it nor can you get rid of it.
Hayek is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 22:34   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

According to a live phone call to her father which was aired today morning on a FM channel by a famous RJ, her father dismissed these rumors. To the contrary he said that they still haven't received the BMW and have only been awarded the key at the ceremony. The car is yet to arrive and hence there is no question of returning it at all. So all this is mere media nonsense and please do not speculate more on basis of this.
drmohitg is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed