Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2016, 12:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Uber in talks with Indian Railways for station pick-up & drop

Uber is reportedly in talks with Indian Railways to integrate its ride hailing service to the Railways' website and app. Through this integration, Uber is planning to target millions of Indians that travel by trains. If the said talks do materialize, customers will likely get an option to book a pick-up or drop cab to/from the station, at the time of booking a railway ticket.

The US-based ride hailing service provider has also proposed to establish kiosks at major stations, which will provide all needed help to passengers who want to book a cab. The company has also extended its technological expertise to help improve the Indian Railways app. Reports also suggest that if the deal is finalised, it will add around Rs. 150 crore worth of annual revenue to Indian Railways, through cab booking commissions and by leasing out premium spaces at stations for establishing the aforementioned kiosks.

Uber hasn’t yet specified the exact number of cities it would be targeting through this deal. However, reports suggest that the company would initially start off in metro cities, and then expand to other territories in a phased manner.

Source: ET Auto

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 26th October 2016 at 12:46.
dZired is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 15:09   #2
BHPian

Re: Uber in talks with Indian Railways for station pick-up & drop

It would add a lot of value if railways can set up well designed and dedicated cab pickup and drop off facilities to cut out the confusion and madness.
sreeharipv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 15:25   #3
BHPian

A very laudable proposal and I think this will be a very good solution for the passenger community.

However, what needs to be seen is the way in which the Railways would be able to tackle the taxi and auto rickshaw associations in whichever city they roll out this initiative.
Mistakenguy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 15:40   #4
BHPian

Great news! It would be so convenient to be able to book taxis directly with the train ticket especially considering the odd timings of arrival.
Also, so many times we see elderly people getting stuck on stations/bus stands due to non availability of taxis or rickshaws. This could just be the solution to that.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 16:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

I honestly feel this is nothing to rejoice about.

At least in Metros and other Tier 2 cities, we have numerous cab operators other than Uber who are equally trustable. In Mumbai, you can hail a Tab Cab / Meru and other zillion operators - In Chennai Fast Track is pretty pretty reliable and at least has worked 99.99% of the times for me. Even if IR partners with Uber, there will be a clause which says that ride at your own risk - Indian railways is not liable for any delays caused by reaching Uber, meaning the train wont wait till their uber cab arrives.

They seem to be doing only a "drop" from station, which in my view is not as crucial, as compared to if they offer drop to station from residence. If I come home late by 1 hour after alighting the train I don't have to answer anyone, but if I reach even 1 minute late to the station from my residence, the train would have departed.

I don't see any additional value that Uber-IR partnership provides over and above regular taxi operators / radio cabs / app based cabs. At leat couple of years back, there was a "fast-Track" call taxi kiosk at Chennai central station, operational 24X7 and they operated without any refusals. It was closed to due some factors that cant be posted on this forum as per forum rules.

An Analogy is that - There was a similar concept for pickup and drop to Abiraami theater Chennai to watch movies. They used to arrange cabs for pickup and drop (Chargeable at actuals) but they conveniently said if cab is delayed or cab doesn't turn up, we cant even get ticket money refund.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 26th October 2016 at 16:15.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 04:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Would this be something similar to what we have at Bangalore airport? Dedicated OLA/Uber cab sections? Would be a welcome move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I honestly feel this is nothing to rejoice about.
You should travel from bangalore airport to city once in Uber & other operator to gauge the difference. This August I had a first hand experience. Needed a bigger car as we were 4 of us with a good amount of luggage. When checked with operators(at airport) was asked for 2k+ for Innovas. Chanced upon the uber app and voila 799 flat from airprot to anywhere in the city for uber XL & 549 flat for uberGO. Yes, I agree its a promotional offer but am sure even under normal circumstances 1400-1500 tops should be the ideal cost of such travel. While going the other way(city to airport) as well an etios(uberGo) cost me 800.

These rates were never known to me as Meru/Airport taxi/OLA has always charged me anywhere between 1200-1800 depending on peak/non-peak hour. Hopefully this move will atleast keep a check on everyone from extorting the customers.

But yes, if they start charging similar to the local cab/auto folks after sometime this would deem pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
An Analogy is that - There was a similar concept for pickup and drop to Abiraami theater Chennai to watch movies. They used to arrange cabs for pickup and drop (Chargeable at actuals) but they conveniently said if cab is delayed or cab doesn't turn up, we cant even get ticket money refund.
I don't think cab getting delayed would ever be considered as that's always upto the customer to plan his journey. That's possible(and is being done) only for inter-city volvos as they can alter their running time to make up for the slight delay. But trains/flights have to stick to their defined tracks/schedules for obvious reasons. And secondly, customer aint forced to take the service. Its helpful for people who dont have too much idea about a particular city/town, as they are the ones who are conned more often than none by the local operators.

P.S : Airports are one thing. But trying to get such facility at railway stations would lead to severe uproar by local auto-rikshaw association IMO.

Last edited by SoumenD : 27th October 2016 at 05:02.
SoumenD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 07:30   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post

Let's stop rejoicing and re-look at this deal.

Option 1. Uber allows you to schedule a ride for future dates - the confirmation you get now doesn't guarantee a ride for sure on the scheduled date. A driver HAS to agree to take up your ride on that day.
One way of reading this article is Uber will integrate the booking option as part of the railway ticket booking process, probably an additional option/section that allows you to specify a destination and other requirements.
If that is the case, then it's no big deal; you are just saving the effort of raising a request on your uber app and instead doing it through the irctc booking process in advance.
If implemented, this will be a nice deal done by Uber - guaranteed future rides, new customer base, more business.

But nothing for the consumer to rejoice about; it's just a minor convenience factor that Uber is offering.

Option 2. Say over all this, Uber guarantees a ride for every booking that is done via the irctc process, irrespective of the time of arrival and destination address, and other requirements; then THAT is a great deal to rejoice about.
Highly unlikely that is the case.

In the end, this is just a software play; and a nice deal with irctc to allow a new sales channel for Uber. If implemented, more sales for Uber. The railways will probably get a cut of the pie.
Nothing changes at ground level - the number of uber drivers are going to remain the same. However you might see a surge of railway travelers who would have taken the taxi or the auto, now choosing to take uber/ola; which I believe is already happening in a lot of the cities.

Edit: Option 1 listed above is available in select cities in US and around the world (link). I have availed this service and booked a future dated ride. However do note, Uber does give the caveat "Uber actively monitors availability to ensure that a car will arrive during the period you schedule a ride, but does not guarantee your scheduled ride. In the rare case a car cannot be found, you’ll be notified immediately"

Last edited by ninjatalli : 27th October 2016 at 07:47.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 10:15   #8
BHPian

Just like most of us feel, I too think this is nothing much to rejoice about. However, things might be a bit different if:

> Say, I get a confirmed cab from my residence to railway station AND
> I also get a confirmed cab from the alighting station to the place where I intend to go. (Say the residence in my native OR a hotel etc.) AND
> I also get confirmed cab for the return journey to and fro railway station.

This will save me the hassle of booking the cab three to four times depending upon the situation and will save a lot of time and worry. This will also ensure seamless travel experience.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 11:47   #9
BHPian

Looks fantastic on papers but god save those Uber drivers. Here in PUNE, taxi owners beat uber/ola drivers even if they appear in a radius of 1 km of railway station. I wonder, if UBER will also hire some coolies to help the passengers carry their luggage for that 1 Kilometer. India is not ready for this kind of development, we first need a strong hand to deal with these people who think they are the judge and the jury.
Old 2nd November 2016, 15:46   #10
BHPian

This is a good idea.

Last I traveled by train, the Uber driver refused to come and pick me from Nizzamuddin Station stating that the local cab union has barred their entry and he cannot wait for me at the station exit gate. He asked me to come down the road walking.

It's a real time problem with local cab unions clashing with app-based taxis.

Hopefully, we can integrate the technology with Railways and have a seamless user experience.
Old 11th November 2016, 16:39   #11
BHPian

The catch is, the pick up by Uber from the alighting railway station to the drop off point. What if the train is late? Will the designated Uber Pickup time be automatically re-calibrated? If this is the case, then they have to integrate the Railway portal with Uber systems and that will be quite a task!

Nevertheless, a good move!!
Old 11th November 2016, 19:41   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atul.sxna View Post
This is a good idea.

Last I traveled by train, the Uber driver refused to come and pick me from Nizzamuddin Station stating that the local cab union has barred their entry and he cannot wait for me at the station exit gate. He asked me to come down the road walking.
When was this? I took a Uber cab from the same station twice in February this year and didn't face any hassles.
Old 11th November 2016, 19:44   #13
BHPian

Roughly about an year back.

I was at the exit where Comesum restaurant is.

Last edited by atul.sxna : 11th November 2016 at 19:45.
Old 10th December 2016, 03:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Uber passenger being harassed by autorickshaw union inside railway station.

Subtitle is available.

Good thing is, she stood her ground and went in the same taxi. Although it took her multiple level of escalation and good one hour as well.

Bravo girl.

Trivial info:
click the white box for subtitle
Name:  Screen Shot 20161209 at 11.16.36 PM.png
Views: 1422
Size:  49.9 KB

Last edited by ecenandu : 10th December 2016 at 04:20.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 16:53   #15
BHPian

Any updates on this?
From what I see, Uber is yet to tie up with Indian Railways for Pick - up / drop service of train passengers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks