Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2016, 13:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Now book an Uber without the smartphone app

Uber has announced a new way through which, customers can book cab rides on its platform. Called 'Dial an Uber', this feature allows users to book a cab from their smartphone's browser, without the need to install the official app.

To book an Uber through the new feature, a customer needs to visit dial.uber.com using the mobile browser and then enter his mobile number to login or sign up on the platform. Once logged in, he will be able to view pricing information, estimate and available cabs within the browser itself. A ride can then be requested with a single tap. The driver's contact number and cab details will be sent to the user's phone number, which can be used to coordinate a pickup.

Uber has already tested the Dial an Uber feature through a pilot run in four cities - Nagpur, Kochi, Guwahati and Jodhpur. It has now been released in each of the 29 cities in the country where Uber has its operations.

Source: ET Auto

Now book an Uber without the smartphone app-unnamed.png

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 30th November 2016 at 13:49.
dZired is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 14:27   #2
BHPian

Re: Now book an Uber without the smartphone app

Huh?? I have been using Uber's mobile website (m.uber.com) since ages. I have a blackberry given by the organization I work for and they do not allow any other app to be installed. I have used uber's mobile site for doing precisely what's mentioned below. Is this "Dial.uber.com" just a skin over "m.uber.com"?
Attached Thumbnails
Now book an Uber without the smartphone app-img_20161130_142121.png  

Now book an Uber without the smartphone app-img_20161130_141955.png  

shifu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 14:33   #3
BHPian

'Dial' means dial. Simple.

Why a GPRS connection is required at all? Why can't they book a cab on phone?
revharder is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 14:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revharder View Post
'Dial' means dial. Simple. Why a GPRS connection is required at all?
Exactly, I wanted to know dial process but was disappointed to know it would require data connectivity. Browser experience is going to be cumbersome than App experience. Only those whose smartphones are locked/controlled would benefit from this.

Quote:
Why can't they book a cab on phone?
That would mean setting up a call center & Uber mayn't be willing to own it up.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 14:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
That would mean setting up a call center & Uber mayn't be willing to own it up.
Old school may be, but IMO, booking a cab on phone had always been convenient for a big chunk of users.
revharder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 16:58   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just a note: It also works on your computer. I just tried it & got connected with the driver.

It's yet another option to book a cab; I welcome it.

Last edited by GTO : 30th November 2016 at 16:59.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 17:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's yet another option to book a cab; I welcome it.
It's yet another option that already existed in the form of m.uber.com. Not sure what this hungama of dial.uber.com is all about.
shifu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 20:06   #8
BHPian

I wasn't aware of this feature earlier. It's good that they've now started making people aware of it. My office blackberry has controlled apps and there are times when I'm unable to book uber/ ola if smartphone battery is dead while travelling especially. Gives me an additional avenue. Good show
Old 1st December 2016, 00:33   #9
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
Old school may be, but IMO, booking a cab on phone had always been convenient for a big chunk of users.
Those users have Meru, Mega and other similar radio taxis at their service.

Personally, I prefer app-based cab booking. The convenience alone is worth paying a small fee for even though it actually saves me money because human employees are replaced with computers and the cost savings get passed down to the customer.

But nothing stops the more old-school customers from dialing Meru's hotline, waiting for the call to connect at their call center, dictating the address and providing detailed instructions to the driver on how to get there and then paying 30% more than Uber for the same trip.

There is something for everyone, as long as you're willing to pay the asked price.
MHG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 11:25   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Those users have Meru, Mega and other similar radio taxis at their service.
Read my post again to get the point.

Initially radio cabs could be booked (also pre-book) through a phone call as well. It is only after a while most of them revoked the option and made it only app-based. Apps are fine, but at certain locations with weak GPRS signals ain't it better to use the phone option?

Affordability is unlike throwing money for inadequate service.
Old 1st December 2016, 11:26   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Not sure what this hungama of dial.uber.com is all about.
So far on this thread, other than you, no one else was aware of this . Good trick to spread the word on an existing feature.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 11:40   #12
BHPian

This morning I tried to book a cab using this new website. It doesn't show a map where you can see your location and where the cab is. It doesn't let you book a cab for somebody else who is at a different place. It doesn't let you change the type of cab. And I didn't find an option to change my payment type.

All of the above is possible in m.uber.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So far on this thread, other than you, no one else was aware of this . Good trick to spread the word on an existing feature.
Looking at the way they have downgraded the features on this 'new' website, I have a feeling that even Uber was not aware of their mobile website.
shifu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 12:58   #13
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
Read my post again to get the point.

Initially radio cabs could be booked (also pre-book) through a phone call as well. It is only after a while most of them revoked the option and made it only app-based. Apps are fine, but at certain locations with weak GPRS signals ain't it better to use the phone option?

Affordability is unlike throwing money for inadequate service.
I already mentioned that in those situations, you may book a Meru. Every city has at least one radio cab operator who takes bookings through phone.

But such events are getting more and more rare. Many have 2 SIM cards (I have 3) for redundancy and there is usually a free WiFi hotspot nearby. I can distinctly recollect just 3 occasions when I couldn't book a cab through an app in my 2 year history of using app-based taxis.

On the occasion when you cannot book a Meru and desperately need a cab, you can call a friend up to book a cab for you and then share driver details over text. You may always hail a taxi on the street if you there is nobody to book a cab for you.

Maybe when all companies - including incumbent radio taxi operators like Meru, Mega, Easy, etc stop their call center service (which I doubt would happen anytime soon) an enterprising startup would offer to book cabs over the phone across operators as a paid service - between 50 and 100 INR per booking made through their call center could be charged as a commission.

India is a(n almost) free market and (usually) capitalistic. Companies do what they think is in their best interest and nothing stops you from using a competitor's services, calling a friend or hailing a cab on the street if you cannot (or do not want to) book a cab through the app (or other currently available means).
MHG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2016, 07:48   #14
BHPian

Realised from a colleague of mine that even Ola has an offline booking capability wherein the booking goes through via SMS using OTP and location is longitude/ latitude based (using GPS) perhaps. Again news to me, not sure if others were already aware of this feature. Good for places with poor internet connectivity.
Old 4th December 2016, 10:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
dictating the address and providing detailed instructions to the driver on how to get there
This is the part that I find most annoying. Plus sometimes you have to stay on the phone for the last five minutes of the driver's journey on his way to pick you up explaining in detail what he should see around him before he reaches you.

Now with Ola/ Uber you simply place the marker on the map and you are done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks