Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2017, 16:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Multi-fold fee hike for various RTO services

Couple of days back, received a forward on WhatsApp that the RTO fees has been hiked and penalties included in some areas, otherwise generally neglected by people. The MINISTRY OF ROAD TRANSPORT AND HIGHWAYS has issued a notification on 29th Dec 2017. One such that caught my attention was a penalty of 300 a month for 2-Wheelers and 500 a month for 4-wheelers for delay in getting the Fitness Certificate renewed.

Multi-fold fee hike for various RTO services-rto-penalty.jpg

In a way, this is excellent. People will get more serious to ensure they have the papers in order. On the contrary, some people may now have to pay the penalties through their nose who had it in lapses state for long. There could be various reasons why one may not have renewed on time. Some reasons I could think of:

1) Vehicle not in a good condition and no funds to restore and renew fitness
2) Vehicle was not used and was lying idle for a long time (Might be inherited/Out of station or country for long/Lost papers/Death of owner)
3) Some one who simply did not care to. You will find lot of such vehicles in rural areas.

Some people who dreamt of restoring their old car/bike of their father or late grand father and for what so ever reason, the papers were not up to date are in for a rude shock. Specifically, the ones owning 2-wheeler. For e.g:
- A 2-wheeler fitness lapsed 10rs ago: Penalty-36000/-, 5 years green tax x2 + green tax for next 5yrs + prescribed fees.
- A 4-wheeler fitness lapsed 10rs ago: Penalty-60000/-, 5 years green tax x2 + green tax for next 5yrs + prescribed fees.

I myself have a 1973 Premier President that I want to restore and get the papers in order. I have to now rethink. Main reason for delay was, car is in a relatives name and he ahs expired. The original book is lost too. To get in order + restore wasn't an easy one, now add to it the penalty!

Kannada Forum members organised a protest in front of the local road transport department offices against the sudden move of the central transport ministry to hike road taxes. - See more at: http://www.newskarnataka.com/mysore/....cmoM08nR.dpuf

In my honest opinion, the ministry of road transport should have warned or given some time for road users to get their papers in order. For now, I atleast hope, they collect penalty only for months past the circular and not for since when it has been due. If not, a lot of bikes and cars will get scrapped in coming days owing to the severe penalty. The enthusiasts will be vastly affected.

The PDF of notification is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Notification.pdf (245.9 KB, 814 views)

Last edited by funkykar : 13th January 2017 at 17:14.
funkykar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 17:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Multi-fold fee hike for various RTO services

Mod note: Thread moved to Street Experiences.
Old 14th January 2017, 10:14   #3
BHPian

Yea - my 15 year old Fiero will need 5000/- to get documents in order while its market value will still be 15,000/-. This is a double whammy for enthusiasts. Seems like the government wants to scrap vehicles asap!

Last edited by GTO : 16th January 2017 at 10:25. Reason: Typo
raghuram.cg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 18:00   #4
BHPian

Once published in the Gazette, isn't there generally a 5 yr period before implementation.

Legal BHPians can throw some light on this

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks