Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2017, 12:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Uber launches selfie-based ID check for drivers in India

Uber has launched a selfie-based identity check feature for its driver partners in India. This new feature prompts the driver to share a selfie, before logging in into the Uber platform. Uber claims that the new feature has been introduced to ensure that the driver using the app is the same individual on whose name the account is registered.

The Uber driver app has been updated with the new feature, which now periodically asks the drivers to click and submit selfies, before they accept a new ride. The submitted image is then compared to the photo of the driver in Uber's records, using Microsoft's Cognitive Services. If the images match, the driver can carry on with his drive. If not, Uber will temporarily block the account and seek further explanation from the registered driver.

The taxi-aggregator service provider has claimed that this new feature will not only enhance safety of Uber customers, but will also ensure that the drivers' accounts aren't being compromised. At present, this new feature has been rolled out in five cities - New Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Kolkata. More cities will be added to the list in the near future.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 14th March 2017 at 12:32.
dZired is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 12:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Uber launches selfie-based ID check for drivers in India

A simple no hi-fi solution by Uber, kudos to them for this initiative. This will minimize the instances of people driving somebody else's cabs.
deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 13:16   #3
BHPian

Technology to solve real-world problems! Kudos to Uber and Microsoft

The traffic police mandates archaic plate with driver details in auto-rickshaws in many cities.
However, when it comes to safety; I'd put my wager on Uber with features like SOS, live ride-tracker and now verification based on facial recognition.

I honestly hope the many left-leaning people of my country do not see corporates only as money-making, greedy, unethical, job-sucking monsters - but instead as the value they add: more productivity, more jobs in formal economy, better service and a win-win for both riders and drivers.
anurag.somani is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 14:34   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Although I have never faced this situation of a different car/driver turning up than the one shown on app, I am sure Uber has it's own reasons for adding this check.

BTW, can one not carry a photo of the registered person and click that instead of his own face? Just saying. If there are people out there who do this, how long before they figure out the workaround? A stringent on boarding process with background verification is still the number one way to filter out the bad apples IMO.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 14:34   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
A simple no hi-fi solution by Uber...
It's actually pretty hi-fi, as MS services will be probably be doing facial recognition. From what I've heard they've done a spectacular job with "Windows Hello".

On the other hand, brothers and cousins of Uber drivers might start carrying around A4 sized colour printouts of their relatives

(Seriously though, to prevent being fooled by a photograph - the more advanced facial recognition systems look for signs of life, like blinking and facial movement)

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th March 2017 at 14:36.
Rehaan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 09:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
It's actually pretty hi-fi, as MS services will be probably be doing facial recognition. From what I've heard they've done a spectacular job with "Windows Hello".
(Seriously though, to prevent being fooled by a photograph - the more advanced facial recognition systems look for signs of life, like blinking and facial movement)
I think fingerprint authentication will eventually take over facial recognition system.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 10:08   #7
BHPian

This is a great initiative. I think the only change needed is for the authorization before starting a ride as against logging in. In the current scenario, the actual user can click the selfie, login and handover the phone to anyone. I had an experience where the driver was different from the one in the uber app. I raised a complaint and they said the driver was indeed the one driving the cab and that they have asked him to change the profile pic. I am not sure how they figured it out, it was very clear the two were poles apart in the way they looked. Even the phone number given in the app didnt work.
Old 16th March 2017, 21:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Im sure it can be circumvented. We Indians are nothing if not excellent at coming up with 'jugaads'
Old 19th March 2017, 08:35   #9
BHPian

This security feature exists since almost around 18 months now. Every few weeks or on a random basis the driver app will ask the driver to click a selfie before the app allows them to go online. This was introduced because there were a few incidents reported by riders wherein their drivers did not match the pic of the one appearing in the app. Uber is now extremely stringent about this and if anyone is found guilty of doing this the driver and the vehicle are permanently banned from the Uber systems.
Given the scenario these days I don't think a partner running on Uber would be stupid enough to risk his business doing this practise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks