Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2017, 22:12   #31
BHPian

Re: The Dutch Reach - A solution to dooring accidents

I think the doors should be designed in such a way that it opens only 5 to 10 Degrees initially on using the grab handle. After the door opens slightly, press another button which could be placed near the door lock (Refer image) with your hand closer to the door while simultaneously pushing the the door grab with your other hand to open the door fully. A beep buzzer can be activated automatically to alert the oncoming traffic during this time. Due to the complicated process it could be employed only for the side which has the greatest risk of dooring ie., Driver side Front and Rear doors.

The Dutch Reach - A solution to dooring accidents-door-open.jpg

Alternatively, the doors should be made to open in 6 or more steps to lengthen the opening process.
Old 18th August 2017, 11:57   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DImPo View Post
I think the doors should be designed in such a way that it opens only 5 to 10 Degrees initially on using the grab handle. After the door opens slightly, press another button which could be placed near the door lock (Refer image) with your hand closer to the door while simultaneously pushing the the door grab with your other hand to open the door fully. A beep buzzer can be activated automatically to alert the oncoming traffic during this time. Due to the complicated process it could be employed only for the side which has the greatest risk of dooring ie., Driver side Front and Rear doors.

Attachment 1667366

Alternatively, the doors should be made to open in 6 or more steps to lengthen the opening process.
Interesting suggestion, but, how would these affect passenger safety when it comes to emergency situations where exit at the earliest is required? Like in case of any RTA?
Old 18th August 2017, 14:50   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DImPo View Post
I think the doors should be designed in such a way that it opens only 5 to 10 Degrees initially on using the grab handle....
Or people could just use their brain and look behind them before opening a door.

I think there's only so much mistake-proofing that can be done. There can simply be a sensor that wouldn't allow you to open the door if it senses an object approaching it but it would increase the cost of the car.

I think people are too stupid to use common sense which is why we have threads like these. If government wants to run such a campaign then they should focus on the root cause then doing a mere correction i.e. don't pass idiot drivers in their driving test and you wouldn't have issues like these. For every campaign run by concerned citizens, they are only correcting (rather trying to) a problem but this is no corrective action (removing root cause) and everyday many more idiot drivers join the road.

When I look at threads like these, I shrug asking myself, are people this stupid that they don't know how fundamental stuff like checking your surroundings before opening a car door is.

What is next, trouser & shirt with airbags because you are stupid and like to jaywalk?!

I am teaching my wife driving these days and during every turn I ask her to check all sides because accidents are mostly caused by stupid drivers and one may be coming from the wrong side also.

I tell her to not continue leisurely on a green light assuming people won't jump in from the other side. In fact, when a light is green and there's scarce traffic ahead of you I tell her to be even more cautious and slow down like its any other unmanned/signal-less intersection.

Checking your surroundings before opening a door is part of defensive driving in my book and I try to educate her likewise.

Im my opinon, only defensive drivers are good drivers (especially in India), rest are all

Last edited by fine69 : 18th August 2017 at 14:51.
Old 18th August 2017, 16:53   #34
BHPian

Interesting observation and approach. I think it all boils down to the overall approach of an individual towards safety and concern of others.
I was the guilty party in a 'dooring' accident way back in 1997 (Fortunately, the cyclist only suffered a bent handle), when I was on the back passenger seat. Since then, I have been generally particular while opening doors.
shekatkar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 17:35   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Or people could just use their brain and look behind them before opening a door.

I think people are too stupid to use common sense which is why we have threads like these. ..........

When I look at threads like these, I shrug asking myself, are people this stupid that they don't know how fundamental stuff like checking your surroundings before opening a car door is.

What is next, trouser & shirt with airbags because you are stupid and like to jaywalk?!
To Err is human. So, technology that could help in mitigating from such errors is appreciable. That is why we have seat belts, seat belt reminders, ABS, lane alert etc.
Even though we may be defensive, well educated, follow all road manners and so on, one single spur-of the moment mistake could prove costly. This thread definitely creates awareness amongst bhpians of the need to be alert while opening doors.
Old 26th November 2017, 16:35   #36
BHPian

I have been in Car pooling with my office colleagues and have seen at times, some of them tend to miss looking back when opening the door and I have a complete view of the vehicles coming from back. As a best practice, I unlock the doors only when the rear is clear because as a driver, I have the best view of the road.

The natural instinct of a person is to pull the door lever but when they find it locked, they wait for me to unlock it or turn the lock lever which gives them a couple of seconds to have a look at the approaching vehicles as well.
abhisheknandan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 18:18   #37
BHPian

I have been religiously following this dutch reach and has been training/advising my co-passengers to follow this. But our learned court has given this judgement, stating both the passenger and the person who has been hit are both guilty if such incident happens.

Who is responsible when car door is negligently opened hitting a two-wheeler? Here's what Mumbai court says

Quote:
A Magistrate court in Mumbai acquitted a 19-year-old girl student in an accident case, saying the driver of a two-wheeler was equally responsible for the accident in which a passenger of a four-wheeler suddenly opened the car door.
Quote:
It is a case in which the accused [car passenger] as well as the scooter driver both have not taken reasonable care. Therefore, the possibility of negligence of the scooter driver cannot be ruled out," the court said
Quote:
It is well-settled law that when two views are possible. View which supports the accused should be taken. In the present matter, both the accused as well as the scooter driver has not taken reasonable care. It is doubtful that only the accused is negligent
Source

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks