Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2006, 13:39   #1
BANNED

Ironically they're driving instructors

A 21-year-old girl who was pillion riding a motorcycle lost her balance and fell when her duppatta got caught in the rear wheel of the vehicle, killing her on the spot on Sunday noon.

Entire article here:

Mumbai Mirror Online - Mumbai News
Old 27th November 2006, 13:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

What a tragedy!

I found it strange that the pillion rider fell off after the dupatta got caught in the wheel and the guy riding the bike did not get to know this immediately (the dupatta getting tangled, and the pillion rider falling off).

He must have had a saree guard on the bike. Else I guess the article would have quoted it, and the cops would have made an issue of it.
Old 27th November 2006, 14:00   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The police have booked Bodke under Section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of Indian Penal Code.
How dumb...... how can they accuse him of culpable homicide ?? This is ridiculous. This is a tragic accident and should be treated as such...

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 27th November 2006 at 14:01.
Old 27th November 2006, 16:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately, this is a common scene in many cities. One of my friends had seen the death of a police officer when his wife's saree got entangled in the rear wheel. Now whenever we are riding/driving together, he yells(very loudly) at the ladies if their flowing garments are touching the wheels.
I had tried telling a woman only once, but got such a glaring look from the lady and her husband/boyfriend as a result that I have stopped warning anyone since.
Old 29th November 2006, 00:32   #5
BANNED

saree guards : are they really usefull ?
Old 29th November 2006, 08:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

Saree guards are useful only for women wearing sarees and sitting with both legs on one side of a bike but with a diupatta they are not much help as normally women wearing a salwar will sit wil either leg on either side. So in this case it would not have helped much.

Off topic - Did you know that a pillion sitting with both legs on one side on a two wheeler is illegal in a lot of countries.
Old 29th November 2006, 09:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Besides, saree guards are on one side only, not on both sides. I have heard that saree guards are a compulsary accessory specified by the government. Is it true?
Old 1st December 2006, 16:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Besides, saree guards are on one side only, not on both sides. I have heard that saree guards are a compulsary accessory specified by the government. Is it true?
i dont think so. common sense is the saviour in these situations. the lack of it leads to these unneccessary accidents.
Old 1st December 2006, 17:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Cops in Kerala tag mobikes without saree guards. They used to, 10 years back when I used to ride mine. They still do, from what I hear from my friends' brothers etc. I think it is a required fitting, just like the front crash guard and RHS rear view mirror.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks