Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2017, 14:10   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Credit Card skimming fraud in IOCL petrol bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetraghav View Post
Ok. Couple of inputs on this (some might be repeat suggestions):
This is really like a bible for credit card safety !! Really Thank you for these inputs

By the way, as I mentioned earlier, all the fake transactions on my card (I am the creator of this thread) are provisionally credited within 4 days. So far, there is no other update from the bank on whether these transactions are declared fraud OR Still, I need to pay.

My credit card statement and bill is expected in 4-5 days from now. The questions I have:

1. Should I talk to them to understand my next steps OR should I just wait for the bill/statement?
2. If in case, in the statement, they come back and say, I have to pay for all the fake transactions, what should be my next steps?

Please advise
Old 22nd November 2017, 14:41   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetraghav View Post
F. Keep the credit limit of your cards in check. There is no use keeping a credit limit of 2 lakhs when your monthly bill doesn’t exceed 50,000 at any time. Ask the credit card company to reduce it. You can always get it increased.
Does it help? I remember some time in 2005 my credit limit was 20K and went little over 20K once. Bank did not decline transactions instead they added some service charge in next statement (few hundred Rupees) for going over the limit. They removed it when I questioned them.

Thanks for your post. It is really helpful.

Last edited by Latheesh : 22nd November 2017 at 14:43. Reason: typo
Old 22nd November 2017, 14:53   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
This is really like a bible for credit card safety !! Really Thank you for these inputs
==========
Please advise
Thanks! I hope it helps!

As for the transactions and their payment, it is my understanding that you immediately got the card blocked and reported the fraud. Please ensure that you save all SMS/emails received in this regard, especially ones which confirm that you reported the fraud. Did you also send an e-mail in this regard?

In such a case, you are safe guarded. I believe you won’t be billed for them. Should you still get charged, write to your credit card customer care and ask them to reverse the same. If they do not agree with the normal tone, matter should be escalated to Banking Ombudsman. That should resolve it definitely. Should things proceed so far, please feel free to contact me.

By the way, someone who cited the practice of the bank contacting the customer in case of a suspicious transaction is right. It is a policy of RBI as per which banks have to now implement a fraud detection system.
Old 22nd November 2017, 15:01   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Does it help? I remember some time in 2005 my credit limit was 20K and went little over 20K once. Bank did not decline transactions instead they added some service charge in next statement (few hundred Rupees) for going over the limit.
In my recent experience with HDFC and ICICI, the transaction gets rejected in case of non-sufficient balance. In this case, lower limit serves as hedge in case of fraud.

However, higher limit helps when one needs to make a big transaction. I don't think banks will increase the limit instantly on need basis.
Old 22nd November 2017, 15:05   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Does it help? I remember some time in 2005 my credit limit was 20K and went little over 20K once. Bank did not decline transactions instead they added some service charge in next statement (few hundred Rupees) for going over the limit. They removed it when I questioned them.

Thanks for your post. It is really helpful.
That is actually a double edged sword. It is a practice used by most credit card companies and it benefits both, customer and the company (though I have to admit company gets more benefitted). Imagine you went to Shoppers Stop, spent 2 hours choosing clothes, raked up a bill of Rs.50,000 and your only card available has a limit left of Rs.48,000. You would want the company to honour the darn transaction which the company does and charges you some Rs. 500 for it. For some it’s a good deal. For others, you can always write to customer care and get the charges reversed. Never heard of a credit card company refusing to do so in this case.

The benefit of keeping reduced credit limit is not evident in Rs.1000 or two. It makes an impact when your card is compromised and you have unused limit running into 10s of thousands or even lakhs.
Old 22nd November 2017, 16:35   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Can others who have used this facility pitch in with their experience? Is it reliable does it work on all POS machines? Do we just tap the phone on the POS or hold it over? Any negatives, issues, security flaws that one should worry about?
I have recently started using this and it works. But still i have to use my original pin and not the one that is generated with the virtual card.

Saves the pain in case of forgotten cards and less/no headache of skimming.
Old 24th November 2017, 13:52   #82
Senior - BHPian

Even with reasonable precautions, my Citibank card too was fraudulently transacted.

Notifications for anything and everything is disabled on my phone. Just to ensure WhatsApp and Facebook don't distract me when not needed. Sms notifications too are disabled. Earlier this week, was relaxing at a shack in Goa. I was casually was marking all my SMS as read. It included 2 from Citibank. Many a times, I don't even read them as it would be the transactions I have done. By chance the last one caught my attention. A sum of 390GBP was paid to EDF Energy through IVR. I knew it was fraudulent just because it mentioned IVR and there was no way for such. I checked with couple of friends with who had earlier sought my help for web hosting service that needed a CC to be saved(I did myself on their behalf and never shared card info). They too clearly said it wasn't from their end.

I called Citibank immediately and notified about it. He asked some basic questions like if I had shared card/details to anyone in family who may have done a transaction and all. I denied all of it and he immediately blocked the card and raised a request to send me a new card. He too said its likely fraudulent transaction, probably by experience. He also told there are some sites that accept card details on their site and yet mark the transaction as IVR. It did not matter anyways. He said Citi will take care of the investigation and ensure they reverse the transaction soon. He also said the merchant had not yet claimed the amount yet.

Luckily my wife's addon card was with us and we could use it during our tour.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 14:47   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
. Sms notifications too are disabled.
I really think that you should turn this one on. If you get promotional messages, put your number in DND. That way only important messages will come and you won't have to ignore them.
Old 24th November 2017, 19:17   #84
Senior - BHPian

You can selectively disable notifications in most OS, and keep SMS notifications on.

Though most of the time SMS are irritating, I think that disabling SMS notifications is dangerous, as all transactions on cards will not reach you in time to take corrective measures. As recommended you can opt out of most promotional messages by registering DND.
Old 13th December 2017, 09:26   #85
BHPian

Have become victim for online transaction today.

Recd email from bank today morning for non-regular transaction of USD 122 for SPIRIT AIR VISA

Called up customer care and raised a complaint. Got the card blocked. Send them the filled dispute form to the official email id.

Surprised to see that we received the email notification before the SMS intimation (delay of 1 hour) of the transaction.

Lets see how it progress
Old 13th December 2017, 10:06   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
That's very unfortunate.

By the way, which bank credit card is this?

SMS should be instant because one might not have internet connectivity at the time of transaction to receive email and even of connectivity is there but at times (e.g. while driving) you don't read emails but SMSs are given preferential treatment.
mukeshgoel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 12:38   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Lets see how it progress
Donot worry at all. you will get entire amount credited back to your account within 3 working days. You wont be charged at all.

Citibank handled my case very well by NOT charging even a single paise.

However, they charged 100 Rs for issuing new card.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks