Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2019, 08:29   #16
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Thak Thak gang - Fake accident, then extortion

Saw this in the local edition of the Indian Express newspaper yesterday and the modus operandi seems very similar (thak thak on the windows for attention diversion, no accident drama though the car driver did think he hit someone!), this time the target was a police official in plainclothes whose iphone was stolen!

Source:New Indian Express, Bangalore edition, 8 Apr 2019 - Link

Last edited by NPV : 9th April 2019 at 08:32.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2019, 11:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
The thak thak gang is active again around Hinjewadi area in Pune. I almost had my first skirmish with one such guy around noon on Sunday. People familiar with phase 1 Hinjewadi will know the end of the one way stretch near mind tree that joins the Phase 2 road .

Guys be careful and don't give in. How we respond to the first instance sets the tone I believe. If we get apologetic then they sieze the opportunity and get on top!!
Now that you mention it, one of my office colleagues did experience something similar last Friday evening when he was on the Maan road behind Phase III Hinjawadi.

At the intersection where the Maan road joins the Chande-Nande road, there was a group of 3-4 guys standing by the roadside. My colleague passed that intersection around 4-5 pm or so and these guys stopped him on some pretext.
My colleague was alone in the car.
They told him that one of the tyres seemed to be severely mis-aligned and asked him to get down & investigate. Since the guys were all bunched up, something didn't feel right and he refused to get down from the car. Sensing that the situation was not going in their favor, these guys/ goons then came around to both sides of the car windows and started diverting his attention with some nonsense talk.

My office colleague sensed that this could turn out into a potential dangerous situation and he just fled away instantly without getting into any conversation.
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 12:53   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
‘Thak thak’ gang steals Rs 5 lakh from businessman’s Mercedes in Ghaziabad.

News Source.

Man! That's probably the most innovative and direct method of wealth redistribution from 'Haves' to 'Have Nots'.

On a serious note, traveling with wads of cash or valuables is tricky on unpredictable Indian roads.
Old 10th April 2019, 14:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
On a serious note, traveling with wads of cash or valuables is tricky on unpredictable Indian roads.
It is not only for Indian roads. I am sure you have read about Mexico, one can be thrown out of a car at gun point and their car can be stolen.
Old 10th April 2019, 15:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
They told him that one of the tyres seemed to be severely mis-aligned and asked him to get down & investigate.
I have posted a similar incident here (Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants) and it happened again with me at Yerwada where too, the modus operandi was the same about the left side front tire being low on air. Did not even pay a heed this time around.
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 15:45   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
It is not only for Indian roads. I am sure you have read about Mexico, one can be thrown out of a car at gun point and their car can be stolen.
It is quite rampant in Spain. It is for sure every foreigner tourist who drives rental car in Spain will face thak thak gang. My two friends faced the same

In both the cases, some people indicated about tire puncture and other thugs getting things from backseat from other side. One friend managed to hold his laptop bag, but in other instance a family lost a bag with all passports.

I also faced these kind of thugs in Berlin, but not on the road but in the cafe. One person diverted attention by making loud noises, other walked away peacefully with my bag. Fortunately he picked one bag where nothing much was inside. There was other bag which had all documents and I am lucky it got saved.

Paris is the another destination known for all kinds of Thugs.
Old 9th November 2021, 15:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post

Suddenly, a noise is heard from outside (a Thak, if you may) and a biker is seen falling in front of the car. There is no clue where this magician materialized from, and how he came in front. Before the lady is able to process this information, two masked men start making a hullabaloo and gather a large crowd to support the magical victim.
Alert all Mumbaikars especially those who travel around kalanagar, WEH near Bandra, Entire BKC, Stretch of road near Kurla Car scrap bazar, the notorious Thak Thak gang seems to be active.

While travelling late at night in BKC especially in E block where the new flyover joins, beware, there are notorious bike riding gangs active, they will come and crash into your car when it is stationary at signal, after a few seconds 2 more bikers will come from behind saying the car was driving in speed and crashed into bike, and the driver is at fault. these men will be decently dressed. They will start abusing verbally as well as physically, better thing is to not get out of car or unlock, this seems to be the notorious 'thak-thak gang'. Last Tuesday 2nd November it happened with my dad at around 8pm. He was waiting at a signal to take a left turn from Kalanagar junction to enter BKC, Just as the signal went green he heard some noise, the car was stationary. Next moment he sees two men in front of him abusing him. Both of them parked the bike and came up to my dads car and started abusing him saying he crashed into their bike. They were asking my dad to get down. He did not get down, neither entirely rolled down the window, only slightly rolled down to speak. in the meanwhile 2 more men on 2 separate biked approached from behind saying they also saw the scene and that my dad is at fault. Eventually all 4 started abusing dad. one of the guys removed a hammer and hit it on the front left fender threatening my dad to come out. Now imagine the plight of my dad who is 61 years old, after a tiring day at work is facing this situation, yet he did not panic. At that point dad called me up and quickly told me the situation, I advised him to keep car locked and just proceed to police station. He asked them to accompany to police station, and drove ahead, they followed him till the police beat chowki in BKC, as soon as dad entered they just went away vanished.
Entire car has scrape and dent running on one side, seems these thugs had something in hand(apart from the hammer) with which they caused big damage to the car.
Dad reported this to the police, but we all know how things proceed, the guy tells dad, "what is the use of reporting now, those men have vanished and anyways your car will be repaired in Insurance". I just asked my dad to leave it and come home, as I was more concerned of him. This happened in BKC where every junction has CCTV and the cops can nab these thugs easily if they want!

Those travelling in late hours in BKC, Sion Panvel highway(between CBD Belapur and Kamothe, few similar incidence were heard here too) after office hours please be ware.
ArTigor is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 15:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTigor View Post
Alert all Mumbaikars especially those who travel around kalanagar, WEH near Bandra, Entire BKC, Stretch of road near Kurla Car scrap bazar, the notorious Thak Thak gang seems to be active.
Glad to note that your dad is fine. Such incidents shake up our mind and that's what these gangs try take advantage of. Your dad did the best thing by not rolling down the window and going to the police station. If you haven't installed a dash cam, please go ahead and do so.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 15:54   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Glad to note that your dad is fine. Such incidents shake up our mind and that's what these gangs try take advantage of. Your dad did the best thing by not rolling down the window and going to the police station. If you haven't installed a dash cam, please go ahead and do so.
And police not doing anything is the main reason why these gangs are not deterred.

For every 1 person who goes to station how many more would have really been scammed.
SideView is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 16:28   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Sorry this happened to your dad and very brave of him to keep his composure when many would give in to fight or flight instincts.

Quote:
This happened in BKC where every junction has CCTV and the cops can nab these thugs easily if they want!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
And police not doing anything is the main reason why these gangs are not deterred.
The police won't do anything because they are complicit. These gangs have protection from police or more specifically - their masters, the politicians. We the middle class keep deluding ourselves we live in a country with rule of law. This is false. The law is an instrument of the rich and powerful to be used as they see fit.

At the end of the day you are on your own and your safety is your responsibility. The middle class is something to be exploited -- the people who will do the work, create value and pay taxes while demanding very little in return and even then that will be denied because the current state of affairs perfectly suits the powers that be. /rant.
Electromotive is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 17:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had such a experience (Some bad experiences in Mumbai) in the same area several years ago. Seems such issues still exists. Scary that it happened at 8PM. It is not even that late and there is bound to be heavy traffic acround yet they dared to threaten your dad. Sorry to read about his ordeal. I think the best is to call the police, keep the sound on loudspeaker, very much possible today with android auto etc.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 11th November 2021 at 17:25.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 21:46   #27
BHPian

Two people fake accident in Bangalore to extort 15K from car owner.

Thankfully police verified the claim via CCTV and arrested the two people.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...ngaluru-169881

https://twitter.com/BlrCityPolice/st...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Name:  twitter.jpeg
Views: 285
Size:  26.7 KB
frewper is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks