Team-BHP - Navigation display a distraction while driving?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Navigation display a distraction while driving? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/192815-navigation-display-distraction-while-driving.html)

Hello BHPians,

I have been using the Google maps navigation supported by Android Auto on the infotainment system screen of my Polo GT TSI. My better half has informed me that ever since I started using this feature, I get distracted a lot while driving; and I know that she is correct!

What I feel is that the positioning of the screen on the central console makes me turn my face quite a bit off the road to check out the guidelines. Earlier, while I used to have the phone mounted on the windshield, I could do a quick glance without really turning my face. I know that even a split second of attention loss could turn out to be disastrous.

Now I ask my wife to keep a watch on the screen while I drive; which I know is not a good solution. How do you all deal with similar situations? Do you rely only on the voice directions or would you stop the vehicle before checking out the route?

So you noticed that too? I have Google Maps on phone, centrally mounted on the dashboard (just over the head unit).

Navigation display a distraction while driving?-img_20171027_183146.jpg

At this position, you just have to concentrate a bit more on your driving. Look ahead on the map, listen to voice commands and move to the appropriate lane beforehand. Being engrossed in a conversation with co-passengers or daydreaming about your next car while driving is a no-go. Else, you will either be forced to make sudden change lanes or you will miss a turn.

The biggest advantage of this GPS position is that you have one less blind spot.

agree:
I swapped the HU in my Sunny with Blaupunkt San Marino 330 which has screen mirroring feature so that I could use Google maps on my phone mirrored on the HU. But what really happened was after a couple of instances I stopped using this feature and back to the conventional set up of mobile phone mounted on the windshield with voice command activated.

Safe bet is getting used to the voice commands (almost all of my motor cyclist friends follow this)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Boss (Post 4312035)
Safe bet is getting used to the voice commands (almost all of my motor cyclist friends follow this)

I figured out that this indeed is the safest bet. But with music playing (low volume) and a 4 year old conversing non stop, it is pretty easy to skip important diversions!

The main way to use the phone's navigation is to use voice prompts from turn by turn navigation. As annoying as it may be for the other passengers(yes, i have faced this while driving), its the safest way. If you are in a somewhat familiar route, voice prompts are sufficient, but in some cases you totally need the help of the screen, especially when it tells you which side to keep and lane to choose. For those cases, I like to keep my phone at the level of the instrument cluster, to the left or to the right, its your choice. Basically minimum movement of the eyes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by agambhandari (Post 4312044)
The main way to use the phone's navigation is to use voice prompts from turn by turn navigation

Using navigation on the phone was never an issue for me. I could position/mount it the way I wanted, with minimal distraction. This is an issue that I faced while using the navigation on infotainment screen (using Android Auto) placed on the central console. I thought that this feature would be of great use to me; and I was wrong!

It is certainly a distraction for me. Whenever I have a co-passenger, I request them to look into the maps, but when this is not the case, I face difficulty.
Specially in Mumbai when there are too many flyovers and each exit is important.

The thing is our cheap cars were never built with this in mind. Polo is a very old platform. Newer cars that have sat nav or AA/CP have the infotainment screen placed higher so it is less of a hazard.
I really liked using AA in the Tiguan. For my polo which has a mirror link hu, I still use a magnetic phone mount for Navi. The Ameo is used by the family and they have iPhones so again magnetic phone mount.

But honestly, if I had Android Auto. I would still use it in the polo. It's much more convenient to respond to texts and get the system to do stuff with voice than having the phone on a mount and with BT audio.

Both are a distraction. In peak traffic, I turn off the display and listen to the directions. Never missed a turn till now.

I never found it to be a distraction. I rely on the voice prompts, giving the screen a quick glance only at confusing junctions. The more you use Google Maps, the less you need to rely on the screen.

So many new cars now give navigation instructions on the MID & HUD too, making things even easier.

Not sure about others; but as per me most folks today look at Google navigation not for the route but for the traffic (especially for city commute). From that point of view unless and until there are re-routing sectors which may help provide respite from traffic, one need not look at the screen. But yes, this of course is not true when its actually being used for real navigation.

In spite of both these scenarios, location of the unit is important. In my case, its the old Duster and hence no Android Auto or HU display. But I have a mount for the phone which works well for both maps and audio books. But still its not a distraction. (It used to be till I felt Android Auto as a new toy in my hands! :) )

For highways its always Garmin for me. And I have never felt as a distraction. Have learnt to use it with just right visual requirements.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbopetrol (Post 4312045)
Using navigation on the phone was never an issue for me. I could position/mount it the way I wanted, with minimal distraction. This is an issue that I faced while using the navigation on infotainment screen (using Android Auto) placed on the central console. I thought that this feature would be of great use to me; and I was wrong!

The problem is not Android auto or the screen, it's the placement of it! Polo's screen like most cars of that era is set low, even under the ac vents. The better place for these screens is higher, near the eye line some place in the Ignis/ baleno for example.

The display is placed in the perfect position in my next car (the facelift EcoSport) but it wasn't going to be much of a concern for me either way, because where I live, you don't need a computer giving you directions. That's the best solution: know the routes.

Volkswagen has sorted out this issue in 2018 Polo. But I do not think this will come to India anytime in near future.

Navigation display a distraction while driving?-maxresdefault.jpg

For me this is the ideal position to have navigation screen. But for a price sensitive market like India, I don't think VW contemplate bringing this when new Polo makes it debut here.

Navigation is superbly useful tool as well as it can be lethal distraction at times just when needed. IMO, it needs to be used judging best case scenarios, comfort & convenience, driving habits and situations with respect to oneself (whoa, are those nearly all possibilities? :)).

I use both Google and Here Drive navigation. Both are pretty good with some +/- of their own.

Sometimes use only map locator to see where we are on map to get hang of whereabouts when we find ourselves lost somewhere off-track. In such case, either somebody else starts checking out the location or I pull over to side and check whereabouts and then proceed.

While purely driving/in navigation, more emphasis is on Voice commands.

However, quite a few times I need to glance over the navigation route being taken and sometimes even take short calls on whether to proceed as per navigation or see alternative route and some other reasons sometimes or sometimes just out of habit.

End effect, yes we do need to glance over navigation/map sometimes or the other. It can seriously prove to be a case to be wary of.

It is then we need to be able to judge both the navigation and the road and ahead. As said above by members, a small distraction can turn into nightmare.

It is for those times, I feel it should be at suitable place to get a view of both the navigation and the road, ahead or behind, both for road turns and manners as well as traffic.

I find 2 suitable places wherein I use intermittently.

1. Windshield right beside IRVM. This way when I look in navigation, I can also gauge the traffic behind quickly. This is my favourite location. IMO, it also keeps navigation module away from windshield obstruction.

2. Central Dashboard/Windshield just above central dashboard. This way, I can get glimpse of both road ahead and navigation intermittently without losing view of the road ahead. Aren't Heads Up Displays also designed to achieve similar and better effect without obstructing the windshield?

I feel navigation in HU is quite a distraction though.