Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2017, 00:24   #16
BHPian

You have compiled a really important aspect related to driving/riding which is overlooked by most of us. I personally haven't used the first aid kit that came with my car but I religiously carry first aid kits and medicines while I am on a road trip. But this thread serves as a reminder to the fact that carrying first aid is equally important while driving in the city as well. Thanks!
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 01:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: First Aid supplies, medicines & procedures for motorists

Very important thread Samba, I was thinking some time back on this, that there is no such thread on this topic on T-BHP.

A very important rescue item, which is missing in cars sold in India, is the rescue blanket (called Rettungsdecke in German). Can someone check in his / her German make car if this is provided in the first aid kit? As per law in Germany, this is a mandatory item.

Uses -

1. Helps to keep the body warm of accident victims when ambient temperatures are low. The silver side when wrapped around the body helps keep the body warm by reflecting heat.
2. In some situations (e.g. when snow lying all around) it helps the rescue team to easily identify the victims (e.g. air rescue)
3. In warm days it can be used as a shade for the victim.
4. Can be used as a blanket to lay down the victim when the ground below is wet or dirty.

Here is a video (in German), but the message is easily understood.

Note - This blanket is not suitable to keep the body warm for prolonged periods when it is cold, and the victim lying on the ground.

I forgot to mention 1 point, please DO NOT give CPR to a person if you do not see the symptoms mentioned by the guy in the video, instead of saving, you might kill them / injure them seriously.
I feel thankful that I came to Germany, these are among many life saving skills I learned here, which are not usually taught in India.

Spike

Last edited by tsk1979 : 16th December 2017 at 10:45. Reason: Corrected youtube link formatting (newline)
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 01:50   #18
BHPian

Very very informative post. It is of great use for any traveller. I knew that you are a great driver, an excellent photographer and an excellent writer as well ,but you have such an extensive medical knowledge was not known. Realy I must say you are a versatile genius brother. Keep posting and enlighting us with your views.
Sayata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 11:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
A very important rescue item, which is missing in cars sold in India, is the rescue blanket (called Rettungsdecke in German). Can someone check in his / her German make car if this is provided in the first aid kit? As per law in Germany, this is a mandatory item.

Uses -

1. Helps to keep the body warm of accident victims when ambient temperatures are low. The silver side when wrapped around the body helps keep the body warm by reflecting heat.
2. In some situations (e.g. when snow lying all around) it helps the rescue team to easily identify the victims (e.g. air rescue)
3. In warm days it can be used as a shade for the victim.
4. Can be used as a blanket to lay down the victim when the ground below is wet or dirty.
What we carry on board ships is something similar and is called a TPA (Thermal Protective Aid).
https://www.google.com/search?q=Ther...0hZ8-vuP_YjoM:
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 20:39   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Samba, thank you. One of the most sensible and useful threads I have seen. Simple and sensible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I'm pretty sure that if you car is more than a couple of years old, some of the items will be expired. I'm going to start doing it as soon as I get home.
Exactly. Me too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
It might be a good idea to add a poll to this thread with the question: Have you opened and checked, or even used, the first aid kit that came with your car?
+ 1 to that suggestion. A question/poll will cause many of us to wake up (I am wide awake now!)
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 21:18   #21
Team-BHP Support

Excellent thread Samba, truly an awakening call for people who neglect this vital aspect. I carry an extensive medi kit during my outstation trips and regularly keep a check of the expiry dates of the medicines. These have been of immense use several times not only for me and my family, but others as well. But saying that, I don't usually carry any kit when I am in town as my daily drive is less than 10 kms. But after seeing this thread I am thinking of keeping one handy even in city as one can never predict when it might come to use.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 16:46   #22
BHPian

Excellent thread Samba
Pity CPR is not taught in India as widely as it is in developed countries.

Talking about basic first aid set,one can keep a wooden ruler/scale in the glove box along with a crepe bandage.In the unfortunate event of an accident and a suspicion of fracture of a limb,that can be made to act like a splint. Helps immensely in both immobilization of the affected limb as well as easing of pain

Also a list of emergency medicines should accompany the first aid kit
ultimatechamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 17:02   #23
BHPian

I was keen since long to learn basic First Aid skills and was on the look out for a short term course. I recently came across this relevant course conducted by The St. John Ambulance Association, India Chapter in Mumbai.

Course Details are as below:

First Aid supplies, medicines & procedures for motorists-1.jpg
First Aid supplies, medicines & procedures for motorists-2.jpg
First Aid supplies, medicines & procedures for motorists-3.jpg

https://sja.co.in/our-course.html#ourCourse

Would appreciate feedback from members who have attended this or any other similar courses.
Thanks in advance.
trek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 03:37   #24
BHPian

A thread of paramount importance, thanks Samba. Most of our fraternity are avid travelers and love to be on road. This makes us particularly vulnerable. No matter how best we drive, accidents do happen. Even if it’s not for us, we should know how to help someone in dire need.

In an accident scene, we usually see crowd as mere spectators. Aam junta generally have limited awareness about what to do. Some may call an ambulance, some may provide water. But there can be serious situations where downtime for ambulance might be too late. For example, excessive blood loss can be fatal, it needs immediate assistance.

Two years back, I witnessed an accident. Two bikers riding in opposite directions on a service road had a mishap. They weren’t wearing helmets and so injuries were very severe. One of the guy was motionless while the other guy managed to sit up, but his whole scalp was peeled off, though the skull looked intact. I have helped several people in my driving life, but in this particular case I was totally clueless. Luckily the accident happened near a tollgate, since I am a regular on that route I know the exact location of ambulance. Instead of calling 102 and spending time on phone, I veered 500m and there was the ambulance, the driver was sleeping. I alerted him and within 5 minutes we were able to send them to a hospital.

From time to time I contemplate on that incident, could I have done better. We cannot always wait for ambulance, First aids could be life savers, is there any general guideline. How to tend, for example a person isn’t breathing, or has deep cuts in the abdomen that intestines are out, is bleeding profusely from head, so on and so forth. The search brought me here.

I found this thread because I was deliberately searching for this topic. I wish this thread is pinned to the top of our road safety section. Ideally, this thread can also be in Team-BHP Advice section, may be with even more dimensions. Something like...

- Types of injuries and appropriate first aid : considering as many scenarios as possible such as injuries to various organs, burns etc.,
- Dos and Don’ts after an accident Medically and Legally. I guess there is already a thread on legal aspects. Still it might be good to have an updated comprehensive essay here as well.
- Team-BHP Official list of items in first aid kit- downloadable checklist
- Team-BHP First aid Brochure: handy information booklet that can be printed and kept in a vehicle for emergency reference. Preferably with pictorial guide so everyone can understand intuitively. It may also include emergency phone numbers.

PS: I guess this is too much to wish for, having hope in our fraternity, I wish Doctors here would volunteer to contribute.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 10th May 2020 at 03:44.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 18:13   #25
BHPian

First Aid Kit in the cars

Hello Everyone,

I would like to share my experience with the First Aid kit in my car, something which I never noticed so far. Today I was dropping my daughter at school for Independence day celebrations, while she got down from the car she suffered a minor scratch in her leg from the edge of the front door. It was very minor and skin was peeled slightly, I immediately took the first aid kit thinking to put the band aid. But I was skeptical as I have never touched it in the past six years and was under expectation that all the items would have expired by now. I just took the band aid and did not notice the mfg date, just saw the expiry date it was Jan 2023. Felt relaxed and applied the band aid, dropped my daughter at school and came back.

After coming home, I just checked all other items in the first aid kit. To my surprise all items had recent manufacturing dates and was well within the usable limits. It should have been replaced during the regular service

I am not sure weather it is a routine to check this at regular service or someone has done an exceptional job? Have anyone noticed this during their regular service?

As a side note, I would recommend everyone to check the first aid kit at regular intervals and keep it usable as we do not know when it would come to use..
skpprabhu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 01:47   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: First Aid Kit in the cars

Apart from the first aid kit supplied by the manufacturer, I carry my own medicine kit box in my car. I keep changing the medicines or ointments which go past the expiry date, & before every road trip I update/check the medicines/ointments in the kit.

Few years back, I wrote a thread in Team-Bhp on the first aid kit. You can have a look-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...torists-2.html (First Aid supplies, medicines & procedures for motorists)

Last edited by Samba : 16th August 2022 at 01:57.
Samba is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks