Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2006, 15:42   #1
BHPian

Caution reqd. for driving on Palm Beach Road, Navi Mumbai

Few days back while driving on Palm Beach during sunset time I saw a car which has rammed into the tail of a Water tanker (watering the plants on the divider). Drivers have to careful of these Tankers parked on the fast lane without their tail lights on during darkness. I could not make out the extent of the damage etc. bec. there was a crowd around the accident site and I was manouvering my car around them on the second lane.

This is a new hazard on Palm Beach in addition to the usual ones like non working traffic lights, jumping of signals , dumper lorries, and wearing out tarmac !!
Old 11th December 2006, 18:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

I crossed the accident spot a couple of minutes later too. At that time, there was only a traffic hawaldar waving at cars to change lanes. The damage to the Indica wasn't much but I am sure the driver must have been really shaken up. Sad part is the cops will probably test the driver for alcohol and reprimand him for rash and careless driving and ask him stupid questions like how couldn't he see a big truck on the road?! Idiots!
Old 11th December 2006, 18:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

This problem was there at Haji Ali too. I know of several accidents that took place at night since that stupid tanker sat there watering plants without any rear lights, only a small yellow flashing light and that too at the top/front.
Old 11th December 2006, 20:03   #4
BHPian

this is not a new problem, those tankers were there three years back. an incredibly stupid design, automated sprinklers should have been implemented, or they could atleast park on the side and use a very long hose that cars can pass over.
Old 11th December 2006, 20:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

well i guess a couple of more accidents and people getting killed by those tankers will implement automated sprinklers...otherwise our authorities will not do anything about it.
Old 11th December 2006, 20:49   #6
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Heard a lot bout the "tankers" and other accidents on the Palm beach road. Also cars jumping the lights and speeding. Our car was hit by a speeding biker while coming out of seawoods the other day, front right fender was replaced. The biker was demanding money, dad took him to hospital and all.
Old 11th December 2006, 21:24   #7
BHPian

Yeah Palm Beach Road needs some traffic discipline...

Have seen accidents on that stretch almost once a week...

It's better we drive safe & sound...
Old 12th December 2006, 17:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
well i guess a couple of more accidents and people getting killed by those tankers will implement automated sprinklers...otherwise our authorities will not do anything about it.
I doubt really that our authorities will in any case do anything. So many small things can be done to prevent accidents and ensure safety, instead they simply go to the media and hang the motorist every time.

Amongst the things they can do:
1. Ensure working tail lights / brake lights.
2. Ensure at least a reasonable driving test / lane discipline, before giving out a license.
3. Database of licenses and car registration. This should be given to NSDL like shares/PAN. Once there is a central database, issue of double/triple licenses, age fibbing, etc. will disappear and so will car thefts - since once hotlisted, no one can transfer. Similarly differentiation between paid drivers / owners. Simply list the offences against the license and make it available on Internet. I will not hire a driver who has offences against him.
4. Prevent jaywalking. Nowadays tendency of pedestrians is to actually defy you by deliberately stepping in front of your car. Mothers/parents with child in arms or running alongside, trying to run across against 'don't walk' signs on high speed wide roads like marine drive, eastern express highway (matunga). Are we basically without brains? I insist only on crossing on green 'walk' for my kids, we can always wait a couple of minutes.
5. Prevent pavements/roads from being used for housing/toilets.

We motorists have rights too and we are the one paying the highest taxes to boot.
Old 12th December 2006, 17:37   #9
BHPian

this tanker thing has happened twice with me while going from my office towards home on palm beach, and the last time was that they were watering the plants at 7pm in the evening and it gets quite dark by then nowadays. i was fortunate to see it on time, others wouldnt have been.

secondly it was on a turning and most drivers would not be able to see it till they come really close to it.

i sincerely hope something is done about palm beach, even i like to drive fast when i see the empty stretch but then you have to leave the temptation aside keeping in mind your own safety.

even the signals have no value at all. people are always breaking them wirthout thinking of the consequesces. i hope a beautiful road like palm beach does not turn in to death trap.

Mansi
Old 12th December 2006, 20:08   #10
BHPian

palm beach road has leterally became "a road to heaven."

when it comes to public safety, i think government vehicles are the wrost culprits setting uncomparable standard for negigence.

1. i myself have on couple of occasions got thrill of my life when i overtook a vehicle to found a big tanker standing dead in the middle of the fastest lane. ready to sprinkle water on my grave.

2. at sector 17 its a usual sight to found muncipality truck coming from the wrong side covering the entire road till they carry on with their cleaning work. just to make we all tax payers know how lucky we are.

someone has rightly pointed out in this thread untill and unless couple of useless citizens die you can always find those tankers waiting for the next victem.
Old 14th December 2006, 12:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Drivers have to careful of these Tankers parked on the fast lane without their tail lights on during darkness.
This is a new hazard on Palm Beach in addition to the usual ones like non working traffic lights, jumping of signals , dumper lorries, and wearing out tarmac
Guys
This phenomena is prevalent in hyd too...
Especially on the cyber towers road,, For the benefit of people who do not know this place
The Hitec city /Cybertowers road is a mostly a well paved six lane road with lot of curves. And you find these tractors with out any signals parked in the middle of the road to water the plants/grass on the divider.

God forbid if you do not see these hazards, there has been five to six accidents already that I have seen both in the day and night. Couple of them were BPO indica's.
And yes I heard cops ask silly questions like "Are you blind?" to the drivers involved in the accident.
I am very cautious to drive slowly on the left lane always.
Advice others who use this road to do the same.

Hope the authorities wake up soon

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks