Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2018, 19:45   #1

How to get a Driving Licence in Hyderabad without agents

Hello Everyone,

Been a great fan of the depth and breadth of information in various forum posts. Thought will narrate my experience getting permanent driver's license in Hyderabad. Hopefully this will help others accelerate the process.

Background - I am from Delhi and moved to Hyderabad about 10 years ago. My driver's license (4 wheelers and 2 wheelers) was originally issued in Delhi for a period of 20 years and expired in 2017. I had two choices - [1] go for a renewal from Delhi Transport Authority, [2] apply for a fresh license in Hyderabad under Telangana Regional Transport Office (RTO). I opted for the latter simply due to the better experience in Telangana RTO plus my previous unfavourable experience with Delhi Transport Authority.

Application process -
[1] Booked online appointment at https://aptransport.in/tgcfstonline/ for learner’s license. The online experience was seamless. The form asked for some basic details and then fee payment through an online gateway. The booking process shows you a calendar of open slots by day and hour. Depending on your comfort and slot availability you can book your slot.

Confusion and more confusion - Hyderabad RTOs (or RTAs - RT Authority), are covered across three districts - Medchal, Hyderabad and Rangareddy. I found this extremely confusing. For example the RTO closest to Hitech city for learner's license is actually in Kukatpally (beside Lodha Belezza) in Medchal district. First time when I booked the learner's license I ended up going very far to a Hyderabad RTO, which was silly. Plus the RTO refused to take my application because I stay in Kukatpally. I was asked to take approval of the RTO's Chief Inspector as an exception. I went to his office and was put on long wait; finally decided to forfeit the fee I paid. Came back home and raised a fresh online appointment for Kukatpally, Medchal RTO

[2] The application is straightforward. Here is a list of documents required
- Address proof
- Age & identify proof
- Self attestation of medical fitness
I may have missed something, so recommend that once the online booking is made, adhere to the list of documents mentioned in the online booking form.

[3] Process at the RTO for learner’s license

Finally arrived at Kukatpally, Medchal RTO on Sep 28th and got into the queue for learners license.

Counter 1 – Document check, age/ address/ identity check
I had applied for 4 wheeler only (for some reason could not see the option to select both 2 wheeler and 4 wheeler) in the online booking section. The admin officer manning the learner’s license counter asked me if I want to apply for 2 wheeler license as well. There was a fee of Rs. 50 I paid with a receipt for that if I remember correctly. The Officer issued me a confirmation slip after checking the sufficiency of all the documents that ascertained my identity, address, age and correctness of the application form.

Counter 2 – The photo counter
I was directed to the photo counter where the Officer took my photo. I don’t remember if fingerprint was taken.

Counter 3 – Went inside the office to the Main Officer, who asked me to take a learner’s test. This is a list of 15-20 multiple choice questions. It took 10 minutes to complete this test, post which my learner’s license was issued.
It took a couple of hours in total. Did not use services of any agent/ consultant for this work.
After driving for nearly 6 months on learners, I finally woke up on Mar 27th to convert it to the permanent driver license for both 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers. Mar 28th was the last day of validity for my learner’s license.
Again I went to the same website https://aptransport.in/tgcfstonline/ to book the permanent license slot.

Interestingly this time another RTO of Kondapur which is again in Hitech city area was available to choose from. Thus I had the choice to either book at Kukatpally RTO or Kondapur RTO. I booked the latter considering it is close to my office plus had convenient slots available. The booking slot was 1 pm – 2 pm. Like previously, again I filled a form starting with the learner license details and generated a printable document with appointment slip and partially filled forms required for permanent license. A few fill in the blanks & yes/ no fill-ups on the form and I was ready for the appointment.

Finally reached RTO Kondapur. My appointment was verified after which I was asked to meet the RTO Inspector in charge of driving test.

List of documents required
- Appointment slip
- Learners license
- Registration certificate, insurance and pollution control certificate of the car and the motorcycle that will be used for the driving test. This can be any car belonging to anyone. The license applicant needn’t own the vehicle.

These are the mistakes I realized as soon as I spoke with the RTO Inspector
- Because I was going on my own without any agent, I needed to get my car and bike, which I didn’t get
- I asked my colleagues to get their car and bike to help with the driving test. Finally we had a Creta and Bullet (Enfield Thunderbird) available with me.
- The test track was treacherous. It is made for small cars (hatchbacks) and for regular scooters/ motorcycles
- One needs to follow specific directions for the driving test

Driving test for car license – The track has a “H” pattern. One needs to go into the Top-Left road of H and from there reverse to the Bottom-Right. Then take it forward to the Top-Right and then reverse to Bottom-Left, and then exit the course.
- Enter Top-Left
- Reverse to Bottom-Right
- Forward to Top-Right
- Reverse to Bottom-Left
- Exit

Complexity of car test track – it is not meant for large/ premium cars
- The directions were confusing; I did one mistake in the in the first test
- The car was bulky for the test track and it wasn’t easy to maneuver the H, which was just about sufficient for Creta
- The “H” is enclosed in a frame of pavement and there is a speed bump at the end of each arm of H that is the warning for you to stop the car

Complexity of the two wheeler test track – it is meant to fail any heavy bikes
- This test track has a straight lane (3-4 feet wide) with a pit. After the pit there is an ‘8’ one needs to enter and post that there is a zig zag lane before the final exit
- The rule to pass the test is that one shouldn’t put their foot down on the track
- It is impossible to maneuver a Bullet through this track without taking foot support (I have driven for 20 years before applying for the fresh drivers license and therefore can say confidently that the track is made for small motorcycles or scooters)

I was FAILED in both the tests with the following reasons
- I did one mistake in navigating H plus was stopping and reversing the car often
- I used foot support for the bike
- The helmet used was unconventional – open in front and more a hat type rather than regular helmet

I lost my cool and told them that the test tracks are not conducive to a Creta or Bullet
- The RTO Inspector commented then I should have got a hatchback and Splendour. I retorted that I can’t buy these just for the test
- There were large number of Maruti 800 around that the applicants had provisioned via agents. They were able to maneuver the tracks effectively
- I also reiterated that I already had a license from Delhi which has expired and therefore there needs to be a benefit of doubt. On this the junior inspector got angry and asked me to come back after a week. He also told me to go to the senior inspector as he can’t do anything
- This would have defeated the complete purpose of my visit, as my learner’s license was maturing a day later
- I requested for a retest and that was granted by the Senior Inspector. Upon a couple of retest I was CLEARED.

This experience was a HUGE SHOCK to me:
- I have been a good driver
- Over last 20 years only had one minor accident, when my car’s rear bumper was damaged; I braked to save a dog and the car behind couldn’t brake on time
- Have only once claimed insurance
- All my vehicles are scratchless
- I never take any risks on roads and respect all traffic signals, pedestrians and maintain safe distance from other vehicles

The Senior Inspector was supportive and they could see my sincere attempt to get my driver license in a clean manner

So in the nutshell I am finally thankful that I got my permanent driver’s license without paying a single penny extra, if you know what I mean. The RTO Inspectors were largely supportive. I did give them feedback that the tracks are difficult for big cars & bikes. However, not sure if anything can be done about that.

My learning in case you want to get permanent license the ‘clean way’ -

Arrange small/ simple vehicles from your friends.
- The vehicles do not need to belong to you.
- Preferable to do trials of these vehicles before going for the driving test
- Preferable to have a reverse camera with markers
- Do some research on the track via Google map/ this forum
- Don’t wait for the last day to go for permanent license; do in advance as the chances of failure can be high depending on the vehicle. Plus you may be given a revised appointment for retest post one week
- Carry your water as it is dry, hot and dusty out there
- The RTO inspectors are supportive so no need to get into unnecessary arguments. Just show patience and persistence

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th March 2018 at 22:06. Reason: only 2 smilies per post. Thanks
siddharth113 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 10:05   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: How to get a Driving Licence in Hyderabad without agents

Thanks for sharing! Two related threads on Bangalore & Pune.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 10:39   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharth113 View Post
Arrange small/ simple vehicles from your friends.
- The vehicles do not need to belong to you.
- Preferable to do trials of these vehicles before going for the driving test
- Preferable to have a reverse camera with markers
- Do some research on the track via Google map/ this forum
- Don’t wait for the last day to go for permanent license; do in advance as the chances of failure can be high depending on the vehicle. Plus you may be given a revised appointment for retest post one week
- Carry your water as it is dry, hot and dusty out there
- The RTO inspectors are supportive so no need to get into unnecessary arguments. Just show patience and persistence
Thanks Siddharth for the write up. Yes, I have noticed the Kondapur test track from main road and it seems to be like arena with place for other test takers to sit and view the track. And the track is indeed very very narrow even for a small size sedan.

So, thats the reason why the touts insist the test takers to drive a Zen or 800 or Estilo on that day. Never knew the reason until now.

Good that you went there without any middleman support. This write up should surely encourage future applicants.
Old 29th March 2018, 10:56   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for sharing! Two related threads on Bangalore & Pune.
Is there something like this for Chennai? If not, could someone share their experiences?
Old 29th March 2018, 14:18   #5
BHPian

Quote:
.. Just show patience and persistence
Completely agree. The process is pretty much the same in Rangareddy RTO at Uppal. The only difference I found was that when my wife failed the test for the first time, there were quite a few touts who approached us saying they will get the license done within a week for a cost of Rs:7,000/-
I was hell-bent on getting the license on our own and went back after a week after borrowing a car from a family friend (Maruti Zen). She passed with flying colours with absolutely no issues.

I think the tracks are made only for small cars since most the tests are for new drivers and would be driving small cars only. Unless I am mistaken, renewal of license does not require a test on the track. In this case, the license was being considered as a new license, hence you had to go through the entire process of getting the Learner license. New drivers are more comfortable in a small car and hence the tracks built for small cars.
Old 29th March 2018, 14:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
- There were large number of Maruti 800 around that the applicants had provisioned via agents.
Do you really know how these Maruti 800 cars from agents are calibrated ?

1) Only drivers seat will be available in the car.
2) We can slot the car into only two gears (Gear 1 & Gear R).
3) No accelerator input is required (works as an automatic car with clutch ).

Just slot the car into first gear, the car will start moving instantly (Even with out releasing the clutch). Just hold the brake and slot the car into reverse gear, it will move in reverse direction. Managing the 'H' track that you have mentioned will be a cake walk even for a beginner using this car .

Last edited by Hickstead : 29th March 2018 at 14:53.
Old 29th March 2018, 23:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for getting the DL without paying bribes!

I do know the Kondapur test track is very small and suitable only for small cars. My daughter drove my WagonR there and it was fine.

The Nagole test track is a bit wider, and even a small sedan will fit there. My son got his DL there.

There is one more at Medchal, which is almost as big as the one at Nagole. My wife renewed her expired DL there (instead of going to Vizag and trying to renew there, as the original was issued there a few decades ago.)
Old 14th January 2019, 11:32   #8
BHPian

I lost my Pune Driving license somewhere and was residing in Hyderabad for some time now. So I decided to apply for a fresh license. The detailed post below helped me as I was initially thinking to go via agent. Also the fact that I bought a new car, I was thinking I will do both the car registration and learners license together, but i am happy to report that I did both the job on my own without any agent. it feels good!

So for the DL:
Step 1: Booked my slot online. It charged me 450 Rs for 4 wheeler and 2 wheeler both. I live in financial district (gachibowli) and Kondapur is nearest, but they don't have the learner's license facility. So, I had to book the Attapur RTO.

Step 2: Appointment day. there are four things that are asked to bring - address proof, ID proof (with DOB), education certificate and citizenship certificate. I had all in xerox and originals but not sure why the last two were asked for. I also took some passport photographs with me as I read few experiences, but it was not required. Note where all you need to sign and fill the form, else you will be asked to do again at the window. Sign all the xerox copies of the proofs. My appointment was 12-1 and the appointment clearly states to report 1 hour before the time. So I started at around 10 am and reached at 10.40. There was small parking lot inside an attendant who guided me to park my vehicle. Its not easy to see from outside as you can only see a queue, but you need to take your car inside from the narrow alley. At Attapur, it is counter 5. I was approached by numerous agents on why I was here and if I needed help to clear the test. I politely refused all. Once I gave me papers, the officer just checked the proofs and signed and gave a pink slip.

Step 3: Next comes the camera room which was just backside. When I went the queue was quite short but within 10-15 min it grew quite long. I almost think there is so much need of a lean methodology to be introduced in these systems. In the camera room, the office takes a photo, and captures the left thumb print.

Step 4: I was then asked to go the inspector in a room with about 7-8 computer terminals. He checked the papers again and asked me to sit at a terminal. The person there puts in my DOB and if the thumbprint and photo is captured your test starts. It didnt for me as the officer in camera room didnt save my thumbprint! So I had to go to camera room again and request the officer to just save my thumbprint which he quickly did and I was back again in front of the terminal.

Step 5: The Test- The test can be taken in your language of choice. It has 20 questions and you need to give 12 right answers to clear it. It was pretty straightforward and I was done within 5 min. The officer then just prints your temporary DL and you are done! Now you can apply for permanent license after 30 days, but before 6 months.

While coming back I was so happy that I was able to do all of this without paying any additional money. (Except the parking attendant who took Rs 20 without any parking slip)

Something key things to remember:
1. Check that you have all docs. It doesn't harm to have additional supporting proofs/copies if required
2. I have realized that earlier is better. The offices are not built to support throughput so the queue starts becoming long very soon. It is OK to go before your time.
3. Check and fill in information/sign on the application form wherever asked.
adabass is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 11:41   #9
BHPian

I went for the driving test recently at the kondapur test track couple of weeks ago. Generally the slot booking and payment is seamless online. What you need: vehicles for the test (4+2 wheeler, more on this later), documents for the vehicles including the tax receipts (other state vehicles), the printed application forms. Go to counter 1 at the entrance for a zero receipt, and take it to the test tracks. So far so good. Long cue of license aspirants. I have an SX4 from Delhi so they wouldn't let me take the test. Spoke to the inspector about my mil background and uncertainty of location and he allowed me to appear for the test. The test track is not all bad really, only you need to be used to the vehicle. I saw mostly hathbacks but a few bigger ones like Creta, Brezza, Baleno, and of course my SX4. Many newbies were fumbling the H reverse pattern even in small cars with some bumps and scratches on the track edges. I was wondering about the track size when a lady in Creta drove through the H smoothly with just one extra reversal stop. In my turn, it wasn't any problem in the sx4, and i could do the H shape without any stops or challenges on the reversal. For me, the difficulty came at the figure of 8 initially where the car's length wouldn't allow a smooth turn so had to reverse once for space. But it was fine. I didn't have a 2 wheeler though and the test police said they can mark my application as 2 wheeler not required. They advised me to borrow a 2 wheeler if possible. I got a bike through one kind soul who was there for his test and lent me his bike. So all done. The digital license appeared on the RTA m-wallet in a couple of days and i have it in the app and a print i carry around. Now the problem is that i am shifting and the license is not dispatched. Came across this thread trying to look for info on whether i could collect my license in person, so narrating my experience. The police are helpful and generally ok with minor relaxations (i saw one man and a woman who simply couldn't manage the H without reversing 5-7 times and clearly were lost and stuck in the middle . For me, no hassle, no agents, no dime extra, but reasonable government folks and kind strangers. Anyway, I am going to the RTO today to see if i can get the license in person.
Old 25th October 2019, 22:45   #10

Hi All,

I just passed my DL test today and wanted to share my experience. This forum has been very helpful in preparing for this without agents.

Learners Licence:
  • Follow the instructions in this thread.
  • Telengana transport site has a question bank, go through it. The test is not very easy.
  • The process is fairly straightforward and streamlined. Book a slot online and carry the right paperwork. You should be done in about 40 minutes.

Driving Test:
  • Book your slot 30 days after getting the learners permit
  • Carry the printout of the slot confirmation, which includes the Form 4
  • Also carry the registration, insurance and PUC copies of the vehicles you will be bringing for the test.
  • Reach 1 hour before your slot
  • I went to Kondapur RTO. Go to counter 1, get your payment confirmation slip.
  • Next wait for a while, till your batch is called for fingerprinting and document check
  • Once you have the verified stamp, don't waste time waiting. Approach the inspector in charge and tell him you are ready.
  • He will ask you to get your vehicles to the test area
  • Car test: ONLY BRING A HATCHBACK. There are three tests, 8 track, H track and 5 point turn.
  • 8 and H are fairly easy, Practice the 5 point turn as it needs some skill. I had no issues with it. But anything longer than a hatchback will struggle.
  • Bike Test: There is an 8 and a zig zag track. You should not touch your feet on the ground. IMO it is almost impossible to do this without touching your feet down atleast once.
  • I touched the ground 2-3 times on a Yamaha FZ. Almost no one did it perfectly. However, i was still passed. Make sure you wear a helmet and go very slow.
  • All the action is observed by cameras.

My overall experience was very positive and was done in about 45 minutes for both car and bike.

Interestingly, when i went there there were hardly any agents present. One agent i found said they will lend a car for the test or Rs. 1200.

I think the overall process is well defined and there should not be an issue is getting the license as long as you are comfortable with your car/bike.

Hope this helps the future license seekers.

PS: I have been driving over 20 years. My old license expired and getting a new license was easier than transferring the old one from Maharashtra.
octavius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 23:11   #11
BHPian

I am going for a learner's licence at Uppal RTO in a few days.

Wanted to check if a private practitioner can certify me as medically fit (on Form 1A)
or does it have to be a doctor practicing in a government hospital.

Last edited by NK@Hyd : 23rd August 2022 at 23:14. Reason: elaborated my query
Old 7th December 2023, 14:08   #12

It is a great thread. Thanks for posting your experience. Wish this was available 15 years back and wish I had contributed to creating this 15 years back.

I had the same scenario 15 years back (2008) - license issued elsewhere was lost and I had to get a duplicate from original location vs a fresh license at Uppal RTO. I chose the latter. I too chose to go the clean way without agents.

It was not a smooth sailing by any means those days. There were agents all through, who would ensure you can stand in a queue the whole day but still do not reach the counter. There were multiple agents who approached, promising to get it done quicker. Officials were hand in glove. Had to take a principled stand not to go the agent way. Had to intervene to get the queue cleared of the agents and ensure I submitted the form even if it took me 3-4 hours in the queue. The order in which the documents are arranged was a giveaway to the counter official if you had taken help from an agent or not. And in case you had gone solo, one can imagine how cooperative the official can be.

For the driving test I had taken my Honda City, and despite the best efforts to fail me, the test went through without a fault.

It has come a long way since then. I understand from my own experience and from these posts that it is much streamlined now. I had to renew my license recently and it was a breeze - everything on the T-App-Folio, without even the need to step foot at the RTO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks