Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2019, 19:15   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Uber Driver dozes off and I have to drive the cab back home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
we have very different expectations from Uber vs either Black Yellow Cabs or other vendors.
Quote:
But when something goes wrong with Uber (including when the car is marginally dirty or does not have a functioning rear seat belt), we object.
I think it's more so because Uber affords us a platform to voice our opinion. And that Uber being an aggregator on which we book these cabs gives us a point of contact.

Who do we complain about the black and yellow cabs to? There isn't anyone. I hold the same yardstick for app-based taxis, black/yellow cabs and rental taxis; it's just that with Uber/Ola and to some extent, rental taxis that we have a platform where we can complain. Drop in a message on the app or contact the owner.

Of course, considering Uber responds, your expectations go up.

Quote:
So let’s recognise that Uber (and Ola for that matter) have made our lives better and that they are trying hard to do what they can.
This, I disagree with. In fact, Uber is perhaps deliberately not doing everything it can. Uber has repeatedly mentioned it is merely a technological platform that connects drivers and customers. This is how they are able to absolve themselves of liability: be it financial compensation/benefits to their drivers or criminal proceedings due to driver actions. This is why Uber is banned in certain cities in the US or Europe; Uber drivers do not face the stringent requirements other taxi drivers have to fulfill.

We have several cases (I think a few being in Bangalore) where Uber shrugged off liability for driver behavior.

No one denies the convenience app-based taxis have brought about; but that doesn't stop us from expecting regulation and accountability.
Old 24th December 2019, 12:58   #77
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
This happened last night.
Someone just did a "Tejas" on Ola.

Quote:
A Thane resident recently faced every passenger's worst nightmare, when the driver of the cab he had hired kept dozing off and almost crashing into other passing vehicles. So terrified was the passenger that he decided to take the wheel and drove himself home. After he had moved the driver to the passenger seat, he immediately fell asleep and snored all the way.
Uber Driver dozes off and I have to drive the cab back home-olaraoaa.jpg
Source & Full Article
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 13:01   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Someone just did a "Tejas" on Ola.

Attachment 1948699
Source & Full Article
Hahaha! Did a Tejas! Hope that doesn't catch on!
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 14:18   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Hahaha! Did a Tejas! Hope that doesn't catch on!
Hoping against hope! Ask Condor
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 14:34   #80
Senior - BHPian

This happened to me a month back. I landed at Mumbai airport at 1 am in the night and booked an Uber. I was dropping a friend at Chembur then going to Navi Mumbai. Post chembur, the driver was starting to doze off and had a couple of close calls even before Deonar bus depot. I promptly told him to let me drive and he did protest, but I threatened him with a 1-star rating if he doesn't comply.

I drove and paid him almost 900 bucks (after discounts) for the trip. Since that time, I now avoid taking cabs at night and if I'm landing late, I ask a friend / dad to pick me up or park the car at the airport if it's a one day trip. No more app based cars for me for late night trips.

I'm not sure why Uber doesn't restrict drivers from being on trip for more than 8 hrs a day and 12 hrs max for being online. Its very easy to implement. Further a lot of drivers work as someone's personal drivers in the day and drive ola / uber at night, putting the passengers as well as themselves at a huge risk.

Last edited by blackwasp : 24th December 2019 at 14:36.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 17:22   #81
Senior - BHPian

Yet another instance of someone doing a 'Tejas' on Uber

Quote:
A woman had to drive herself home in an Uber car after the driver fell asleep and the car recklessly skewed in the traffic.
Read more here : https://m.republicworld.com/india-ne...er-sleeps.html

Last edited by Klub Class : 3rd March 2020 at 17:28.
Old 3rd March 2020, 17:51   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post

I'm not sure why Uber doesn't restrict drivers from being on trip for more than 8 hrs a day and 12 hrs max for being online. Its very easy to implement. Further a lot of drivers work as someone's personal drivers in the day and drive ola / uber at night, putting the passengers as well as themselves at a huge risk.
Do you know why today manufacturing plants have a 48 hour working week with 8 hours work per day? Long time back in England (during industrial revolution) the work hours were more than 12 hours and 6 days working, small children were especially employed. No worker wanted to do it, but everyone did it because of competition. Factory owners definitely wouldn't want any restrictions.

Same way, no driver wants to drive vehicle in a stupor, but the competition in earning compels them to behave in this fashion.
Uber being a facilitator will never meddle as long as they make money.

Therefore the onus is solely with the Govt. Once it comes out, Uber will be forced to devise methods to limit the number of driving hours per day. (some system like pilots)

Last edited by alpha1 : 3rd March 2020 at 17:56.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 11:19   #83
Senior - BHPian

I often return to Mumbai on late night flights and many a times I have noticed that Uber / Ola drivers are totally exhausted. Once a driver himself told me he will need a cup of CHAI as he is feeling very sleepy. After stopping for CHAI, I shifted to front seat and was constantly keeping an eye on the driver. Luckily its only 20 minute drive for airport to my residence.

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 5th March 2020 at 11:27.
Old 10th April 2020, 15:57   #84
Senior - BHPian

Algorithm cant help much. The same guy drives Ola & Uber with a different sim. IF he drives Ola for 12 hrs and then switches to Uber, Uber will show info only for the time he has been active on Uber. Uber cant track the time he spent with Ola.

At the end of the day, the onus lies with the driver to provide safe travel.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 00:07   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Algorithm cant help much. The same guy drives Ola & Uber with a different sim.
Why does tracking depend on the SIM? Uber, Ola, everyone has a driver's DL and vehicle details. It is not difficult to track if the same person is driving based on the DL if the info is being shared among aggregators.
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 00:16   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Why does tracking depend on the SIM? Uber, Ola, everyone has a driver's DL and vehicle details. It is not difficult to track if the same person is driving based on the DL if the info is being shared among aggregators.
Well, data sharing isn't easy as companies won't like to share the data. Even if the data is obtained, there is no way to track if be drives as a regular driver for someone and then drives uber at night or drives some non radio based taxis like airport taxi or drivers for some time travel agency. At the end of the day, onus and responsibility should lie with the driver and he should be ethical enough.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 11th April 2020 at 00:17.
Old 11th April 2020, 00:49   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Well, data sharing isn't easy as companies won't like to share the data. Even if the data is obtained, there is no way to track if be drives as a regular driver for someone and then drives uber at night or drives some non radio based taxis like airport taxi or drivers for some time travel agency. At the end of the day, onus and responsibility should lie with the driver and he should be ethical enough.
That's when regulators come in. And this is nothing compared to the amount of data sharing that happens among companies (even those which compete against one another).

Nobody would be able to sustain driving at night and a regular full-time day job. They will slack and lose the day job. The main culprits are the full time uber/ola drivers who switch between aggregators, work not stop for 2-3 days and take off for the next 2-3 days. And that can be prevented with technology and will. Of course, there will be a few that would always succeed in finding loopholes, but the idea is to reduce their number and make it difficult for someone to game the system.

If the world ran on ethics, there would be no need for judiciary no? And these are people in the lowest rung of the socio-economic pyramid and not very informed/concerned about the risks of their behavior.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks