Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2018, 08:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Goa to finally get an app-based taxi service: GoaMiles

Without the surge pricing, the operators will never be on board. They are used to increasing prices basis their whims. This initiative is bound to fail. Which is unfortunate.
Old 29th June 2018, 10:01   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

While I appreciate the initiative, I am always skeptical of apps made by local governments & authorities. Don't know how user-friendly or functional it will be. Bureaucracy, corruption & vested interests might kill it.

But something seriously needs to be done. The pricing of cabs in Goa is insane. I have paid 800 bucks for a 25 minute trip - crazy! On the other hand, self-drive car rentals and also 2-wheelers are priced quite okay. It's probably why we see so many tourists using these as the cabs will cost you more than your food on a Goan holiday.

I find everything in Goa to be well-priced, with cabs being the sole exception. And they are fools - because of the steep pricing, their downtime is a lot from what I've seen. If they were to price it more reasonably, they'd have a lot more uptime & business.

Good thing that BHPians will always drive their own cars to Goa . No worry of exorbitantly priced taxis. Goa - what a destination...and what a road! Just love it.

Last edited by GTO : 29th June 2018 at 10:02.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 12:37   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

This is actually a great idea. Like others here have mentioned, one of the reasons to avoid flying to Goa for me (which would easily save me half a day of driving either way) is the vexing question of how to travel within Goa. Private cabs are exorbitant and public transport is not an option (though I have used it on occasion).

But I am skeptical about the execution: it would seem much more sensible to allow access to Uber and Ola than expect travellers to download a Goa-specific app on their vacation there. And if there is no rating system that disincentivises a driver against indulging in the usual customer-unfriendly practices that cabwallahs are notorious for, there is little doubt that this initiative will end up in the garbage heap and things will go back to what they were before.

Still, one can hope...
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 01:16   #19
BHPian

Does anyone have had any experiences with Goamiles. Please share.
Old 23rd October 2018, 07:52   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayB View Post

My experience has been similar to this :

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65345640.cms

Works sometimes, doesn't work most of the times, also rates aren't competitive at all, you are better off negotiating a rate with a regular taxi guy, or driving your own or self-driven rental car.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd October 2018 at 15:52. Reason: Slight formatting change.
techn0l0gist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 15:55   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayB View Post
Came close to it recently, but after reading a few reviews in the Google Play store I didn't even bother downloading it.

2 most common complaints:

1) No cabs available.

2) They require you to fund your "wallet" before you can book a cab.

Now, funding the wallet might seem reasonable, but if you combine it with the fact that after doing so - you're shown that no cabs are available -- it's a pain. Add to that, the fact that most people wouldn't try it again (since they are in Goa for only a few days), and the refund process is apparently painful & slow.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd October 2018 at 15:56.
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 15:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Came close to it recently, but after reading a few reviews in the Google Play store I didn't even bother downloading it.

2 most common complaints:

1) No cabs available.

2) They require you to fund your "wallet" before you can book a cab.

Now, funding the wallet might seem reasonable, but if you combine it with the fact that after doing so - you're shown that no cabs are available -- it's a pain. Add to that, the fact that most people wouldn't try it again (since they are in Goa for only a few days), and the refund process is apparently painful & slow.
Absolutely!! I was there few weeks ago and the only message I got in my 5 day stay was " All our cabs are booked". I tried from multiple locations in North Goa and that was the message I saw. I believe we can only book from airport as there is a "Goa Miles" counter there and have seen few taxis with the stickering. And I had to preload the wallet with Rs200 which would be lying unused for quite sometime.

Also, I paid Rs 2800 for a distance of 60km and 1.5 hrs jouney!! Its insane!!!
CrankShaft05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 17:41   #23
Team-BHP Support

From a few weeks back:

Goa Miles taxi driver is stopped outside the airport by the regular taxi mafia, and forced to drop the passengers back, so that they take a regular cab

Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 17:02   #24
BHPian

Re: Goa to finally get an app-based taxi service: GoaMiles

I used Goa Miles last week for a quite a few times and was impressed by their service. I booked the first ride from Goa airport to Panjim and paid a charge of 900/- which is quite decent. The cab was clean and the driver was on time.

We also took a ride from Panjim all the way to Varca and it costed us 1200/- for a sedan which is quite reasonable. We also used Goa Miles to travel within South Goa and had equally good experience. From Colva to Varca, a local taxi guy quoted us 600/- and we ended up paying 200/- when booked via Goa Miles.

All in all, a very good experience. I found the South Goa cabs to be better than from Panjim/Airport.

The app itself is little slow but location and other info is quite accurate.
the_skyliner is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 15:20   #25
BHPian

Re: Goa to finally get an app-based taxi service: GoaMiles

GoaMiles is reliable for airport pickups. I had used this service twice from the airport. On both occasions I found the prices to be similar to prepaid taxis. The taxis were neat and the drivers were professional.

The situation is just opposite for airport drops. Taxis are almost always unavailable. As soon as a taxi shows up on the map it disappears. It is better to book a taxi with the hotel for peace of mind.
strawhat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks