Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2018, 08:01   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Karnataka: Carpooling app? Your car could be seized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Whereas ride sharing apps like Quick Ride verifies your official mailing address (which is verified and personal emails not allowed)
How do they verify that (apart from the usual click-through mechanism)? Do they do some sort of background check? If not I fail to see how this ("verify email address") adds anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Private car insurance policies clearly state that the insurance is invalid if [...] one plies the car for hire with passengers.
The actual term is "for hire or reward". I have searched a lot for its definition; but have not found any yet. Reading through a number of judgments of various high courts and the supreme court, what I have found is that the term's definition is never called into question.
Old 31st October 2018, 16:28   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The actual term is "for hire or reward". I have searched a lot for its definition; but have not found any yet. Reading through a number of judgments of various high courts and the supreme court, what I have found is that the term's definition is never called into question.
The terms are generally understood in the insurance industry.

New Zealand even went to the extent of modifying their motor vehicles act to include formal definitions.

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/commercial-...ire-or-reward/
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 16:55   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post

Would be very interested in hearing the POV of someone who does use these apps both as a consumer and a provider..
When I used to use Quickride to share the space in my car, especially since I cut across the whole city during my commute, I was pretty choosy with regard to the rides I accepted. You can get to know about the person before they get into the car itself. Though I used it for a year or so, I have offered only 50 rides so far which is quite low compared to others who have done hundreds of rides. The main things I used to see in the requesters were their verified status, their attitude of approach, their source and destination and so on. You can get a rather clear picture of a person before the ride itself. Some are very professional, with a good introduction of themselves for the first ride and also very prompt in updating their location, arriving at the pickup point at the correct time and so on. Whereas there is another bunch of people who treat us like a typical Uber cab. Such requests used to be rejected right away. Beyond this level of filtering, you can only trust your luck in case something went wrong. Most of the people who have pooled with me were from top corporates and many from my company itself. Hence, the risk is on you. But of all the rides I have offered, there hasnt been a single sour experience. The only time I didnt like was when a passenger(guy) came and sat at the back seat even though the front seat was empty and he didnt even bother to say a Hi. Gave him a one star rating and didnt accept his ride request anytime later.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 01:46   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do they verify that (apart from the usual click-through mechanism)? Do they do some sort of background check? If not I fail to see how this ("verify email address") adds anything.
An organization email gets deactivated as soon as an employee quits the organization, and having restricted access you can be more or less sure of it being verified only by the person intended. And talking about background checks, don't the organizations themselves do it. If someone is paranoid or extra cautious, they can chose to accept rides only from employees of big organizations where background checks are strong and emails are encrypted.

I am not saying this is the safest option possible. However it's any day a much safer option than public transport. Else it seems the only 'safe' option is travelling by your own car, which is a much much more expensive proposition.

For example a drive one way to my office is minimum 2.5 liters of petrol or 600 INR by Uber/Ola or 80-85 INR by Quickride as a passenger or depending on the number of riders it can end up being free as driver. Take your pick.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 1st November 2018 at 01:58.
Altocumulus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 09:17   #110
BHPian

Quote:
The verification takes place by entering the OTP sent to your official email id in the QuickRide app and then your profile will be shown as Verified with a green colour icon. Unless you share your official email password to someone else or if your official mailbox is hacked.

I use QuickRide app sporaidically giving rides, however, I am very choosy in giving the ride only for the verified users and mostly those from the same organization as mine.
Old 5th November 2018, 10:11   #111
Senior - BHPian

I recently saw a news item that a Hyndai car was seized near Poonamalee in Chennai by RTO officials, when it was found to be carrying two passengers secured through the ride share app to Bangalore. The authorities have been obviously receiving complaints for sometime, and have got in to action recently with decoys acting as passengers.

Last edited by Gansan : 5th November 2018 at 10:12. Reason: Add content.
Old 5th November 2018, 11:39   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I recently saw a news item that a Hyndai car was seized near Poonamalee in Chennai by RTO officials, when it was found to be carrying two passengers secured through the ride share app to Bangalore. The authorities have been obviously receiving complaints for sometime, and have got in to action recently with decoys acting as passengers.
I believe the Seizures are happening with respect to the long distance travels. The Apps which are under monitor are like Bla Bla Car etc... since recently my friends were travelling to Hyderabad and they were stopped near some toll by RTO officials and the first thing they checked in the phones was the Bla Bla car App, later they were left without any fines.

So i believe the long distance Car share Apps are under scanner.

Last edited by SPEEDY_RACER : 5th November 2018 at 11:41.
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 11:52   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
they were stopped near some toll by RTO officials and the first thing they checked in the phones was the Bla Bla car App, later they were left without any fines.
Can RTO officials ask for my phone? Are they within their limits to check my phone?
fordday is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 13:47   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Can RTO officials ask for my phone? Are they within their limits to check my phone?
See that i cannot comment but if they get doubt then they might ask and if we cooperate then its good for us and if we don't then we our-self get into troubles as they jump into conclusions.

In my friends case RTO officials asked all the questions documents etc, every thing was produced when they asked where all are going etc, then my friend said for an holiday and RTO has said that's its our duty to check that you are not doing any thing beyond the rules can we check your phone so that you are not doing any Cab Sharing for which he agreed and then they let him free. Though he had QuickRide but they didn't bothered to check that. They were mainly interested on Bla Bla Car.
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 14:00   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Though he had QuickRide but they didn't bothered to check that. They were mainly interested on Bla Bla Car.
This is encouraging. One of my friend though has moved out of the app after he has built a circle of friends and now they communicate as any two friends would and have their own way of settling it. What the app has brought forward is the way many people approached Carpooling. It has taught many that with a little effort, more trouble, traffic and fuel can be saved.

Last edited by madhavgpai : 5th November 2018 at 14:02. Reason: Unintended submit
madhavgpai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 10:36   #116
BHPian

I recently came across this huge endorsement for Quick Ride by the Bangalore Traffic Police and the Niti Aayog

https://twitter.com/blrcitytraffic/s...66655179415553

https://twitter.com/amitabhk87/statu...536512?lang=en

It seems the Addnl Traffic Commissioner gave awards to the top carpoolers in a cool awards ceremony

Quote:
See that i cannot comment but if they get doubt then they might ask and if we cooperate then its good for us and if we don't then we our-self get into troubles as they jump into conclusions.

In my friends case RTO officials asked all the questions documents etc, every thing was produced when they asked where all are going etc, then my friend said for an holiday and RTO has said that's its our duty to check that you are not doing any thing beyond the rules can we check your phone so that you are not doing any Cab Sharing for which he agreed and then they let him free. Though he had QuickRide but they didn't bothered to check that. They were mainly interested on Bla Bla Car.
I would encourage anyone using Quick Ride to simply have a reference / image of this tweet
https://twitter.com/blrcitytraffic/s...66655179415553

No way that a socially positive initiative like carpooling is illegal

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th December 2018 at 20:07. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post if re-posting within 30 minutes. Thanks.
Old 16th January 2019, 09:45   #117
Senior - BHPian

Recently I changed my firm and the new one doesn't have office bus/cab facility yet, so I usually commute by Bike(2 days a week) and car(3 days a week). 22.5 kms one way, around a total of 45kms daily. Due to the rising pollution levels(dust & smoke) I find using the bike daily a little troublesome. But commuting in a car all alone is super boring. Hence, today for first time I offered ride and 2 people joined me. I would mostly prefer 1 or 2 people at max in a ride as the little Estilo's performance takes major hit if there's more than 3 people on board. Was interesting to meet new people and have chit-chat throughout the journey.

But am kinda confused now whether this is legal? Am someone who stops at red light even at 3AM in the night, so basically want to totally avoid any legal hassle. And if you know Bangalore cops, they aren't the friendliest of all

Has anyone faced any problems from the cops lately? Is it legal enough to continue with QuickRide? I loved the hassle-free experience. Its kinda win-win situation for both rider and passenger specially since the Uber/Ola brigade have jacked up prices to unbelievable levels now

Last edited by SoumenD : 16th January 2019 at 09:47.
Old 31st January 2019, 11:34   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

I find that Quickride app is now serving as a platform for Coverfox (the e-broker) to sell insurance policies for the app's users. On the other hand, we worried about insurers denying claims by ride-sharers on this thread earlier! Here's a surefire way for insurers to know that you're involved in carpooling/ridesharing. If any insurer wanted to, they could tap into this information during underwriting of new quotes and use it when adjudicating any submitted claims later on.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 15:51   #119
BHPian

Quickride came to our office today for promo. Many of our colleagues got enrolled. I asked a few questions like...
Q: safety with strangers ?
A: No other than employees from approved corporate list can become a member.

Q: Legality ?
A: Issues have been resolved now. It seems that once ride sharing in popular platforms were misused for profit making (like 15 rupees/km per seat) which was illegal. As long as the cost stays within 5 Rupees/km, it is perfectly legal.

Q: what is the cost breakdown
A: 6.5% of the money you make goes to Quickride which includes GST.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 10th June 2019 at 15:53.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 15:03   #120
BHPian

Government is mulling legalizing private vehicle carpooling but not clear how they will monitor 'no profit, no-loss!'

KYC based! Privacy issues from 'big brother' or social media map companies? Good ideas but need to be more comprehensive and align with other ministries, local authorities I think.

A draft will be circulated, apparently. Again, states will have power to modify accordingly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks