Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What is the longest time you have spent in a traffic jam?
Never spent over 2 hours in any jam 106 30.64%
2 - 3 hours 76 21.97%
3 - 4 hours 75 21.68%
4 - 5 hours 40 11.56%
5 - 6 hours 15 4.34%
6+ hours 34 9.83%
Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2018, 08:38   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: What is the longest time you have spent in a traffic jam?

I was stuck in a traffice jam during July, 2000 while returning from Bidar to Bangalore. Those days NH44 was a double lane road without dividers, we were held up near Kurnool for more than 4 hours.
Old 1st December 2018, 08:43   #77
Senior - BHPian

We should hear some harrowing stories from this one:

What is the longest time you have spent in a traffic jam?-img20181201wa0004.jpg

Apparently a 10km jam from 1 am today near Thoppur.

Hope it is not too bad.
Old 4th December 2018, 00:28   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
We should hear some harrowing stories from this one
Thoppur ghat in the 21st century, that is since the blasting the hill down and laying the 4-lane and much powerful vehicles (both PV and CV). During our first day of our 2nd year tour, we were royally stuck here for 5-6 hours, and these were regular happening when it was the steep 2-lane road.

My wife who was native of Salem and visited all her life, thought it was a big deal when I first negotiated it as a newbie driver
Old 4th December 2018, 04:36   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
During our first day of our 2nd year tour, we were royally stuck here for 5-6 hours, and these were regular happening when it was the steep 2-lane road.
I was once stuck on that that when they were blasting for about 6 hours when we were returning from Palani. Must have been 1998-99.

That ghat used to be hairy to drive at night. Krishnagiri was also a nightmare because of the lorries without enough power to go up the grade. So they will chug along at 2 kmph & you can't overtake it in your powerful Maruti 800 because it is not safe in an undivided Highway. There used to be huge jams.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 13:28   #80
BHPian

As I live in Bangalore, commuting and getting stuck in traffic jam go hand-in-hand. Recent experience is just 3 days old.
Last Saturday I had done booking for the movie 2.0 at VR mall, Whitefield. This mall is just 3.5 kms from my place. The show timing was for 5.45pm. At 5.20 pm (just before leaving), my wife said that it's a Saturday plus metro construction is going on, let's go in our a Honda Activa otherwise we might miss some part of the movie. I said, relax! we will go by car and will reach on time. It took me 1.25 hours to cover that stretch of 3.5 kms. We were 1 hour late, my wife was fuming and finally we were so disappointed that we skipped the movie. Later on, took my wife for shopping to compensate.
Old 4th December 2018, 13:49   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
That ghat used to be hairy to drive at night. Krishnagiri was also a nightmare because of the lorries without enough power to go up the grade.
I agree, Thoppur had very less margin for error. One mistake and you could end up against those boulders.

It was due to the Krishnagiri-Hosur jams that Dharmapuri-Palacode-Rayakottai-Hosur route became famous. Many buses who had advance notice of the mess ahead, used to take this route.
Old 6th December 2018, 20:44   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
On 13th of august this year due to unprecedented rainfall it took me 13 hours to cover 80kms from my home in shimla to parwanoo. There were several landslides along the way. I was stationary at one spot for 8 hours. The jam extended for several kms. People were so fed up that everyone left their cars aside and sat on the dividers.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65396133.cms
Hello,

I was in the same traffic jam! Started from Shimla at 7AM and reached panchkula around 9:30 PM. I was advised by some locals to go back to shimla while I was waiting at one landslide near waknaghat at around 10AM. Wish i had listened to them!

The worst experience was on 14.08.2008 while coming from Gurgaon to Chandigarh. Four of us friends left gurgaon at around 6PM and at 2 AM we were still in Delhi!! I remember we covered 48kms in 8 hrs. Probably could have walked faster (i was much younger then!). Jam cleared at around 3AM and reached chandigarh at dawn around 6 AM! Thank god i dont stay at that place anymore. I think a similar thing happened in gurgaon in 2017 as well.

Just remembered, was coming from kasol to chandugarh on 23.09.2018. After heavy rains many bridges and roads were closed! One section of the NH in the hills aroiund AUT was UNDER WATER!
Had left around 11AM so as to reach by 8PM easily but had to take multiple alternate routes and could only manage to reach Bilaspur around 11PM. Was so dead tired took a room there and came to chandigarh next morning!

Last edited by guptavis : 6th December 2018 at 20:49.
Old 6th February 2019, 19:25   #83
BHPian

Voted for 6+ hours

I was once stuck for more than 7 hours in Khardungla, while returning from Nubra Valley.

This happened sometime in June'2017, it was snowing that day and there was no snowplough at service.

It was one hell of a day, we all survived with help of camphor!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks