Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2018, 17:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes underbody disassembled to rescue kitten

A Gujarat-based businessman's Mercedes-Benz was disassembled at a workshop in Mumbai to rescue a kitten stuck in the car's underside.

Mercedes underbody disassembled to rescue kitten-master.jpg

The businessman, Jayesh Tailor was driving between Sion and Siddhivinayak temple when his dog, who was with him, started barking. He also heard faint noises from the underside of the car. He then asked the driver to stop the car to examine the car's underbody. On examination, he found a brown kitten stuck in a narrow space in the underside of the car.

The family sought help from passers-by, cops and a local mechanic. However, they were unable to free the kitten. The owner then called Mercedes breakdown service, who decided to take the car to an authorised workshop in Kalina. The car was driven at low speeds.

Mercedes underbody disassembled to rescue kitten-master-1.jpg

At the workshop, the car was partly disassembled to rescue the kitten, which was hiding in a tight spot in the engine bay. The entire operation took 6 hours and was carried out for free. An employee of the workshop adopted the kitten.

Source: Mumbai Mirror
ChiragM is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 17:38   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mercedes underbody disassembled to rescue kitten

That is just so cute . We put this thread up especially for the cat lovers on Team-BHP!
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 17:41   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
The entire operation took 6 hours and was carried out for free. An employee of the workshop adopted the kitten.
That was a sweet gesture from the dealership - not often heard of in India.

And I wonder if the employee would name the kitten as Mercedes ?
condor is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 17:45   #4
BHPian

Good to know that people still are compassionate to animals in India. It is so nice of the team to work together and save the life of the kitten .
amitpatnaik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 19:47   #5
BHPian

This is just such a heart warming tale. Makes me so happy to see the extents to which they went to get the kitten rescued. To everyone involved, my heartfelt gratitude. Thank you, on behalf of all greater living creatures.

Everything about this tale is such a nice thing. And I hope the kitten and the new owner have a great life ahead of them.
esoticoreventon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 20:18   #6
BHPian

Now this news made my day. It is good to see such kind attitude still exists.

Kudos to Mercedes dealer to do this painstaking job free.

As mentioned above the cat should indeed be named Mercedes.
Vasuki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 21:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is heartwarming. How kind people can be when tested in strange circumstances. This goes a long way in restoring faith in human nature.
shankar.balan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 22:14   #8
BHPian

That's a touching story indeed.

If I recall correctly this was in yesterday's TOI too. Strangely ( I hope I didn't misread) the TOI report ended with words that the garage people didn't find the cat, perhaps it managed to escape somehow on way to garage. I scratched my head wondering what the pic was all about then? The same pic was heading the story in TOI.

On second thoughts, I could not stop thinking whether the story would have been same, if it was a different animal. Killing a cat I believe is a big no from a religious aspect and the remedy is quite an elaborate and expensive one.

Quick edit- TOI pic attached

May be this combined with the temple visit got to do something here.

Nevertheless, a very noble act by all involved.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes underbody disassembled to rescue kitten-img_20181203_221949.jpg  

Last edited by Rodie09 : 3rd December 2018 at 22:22. Reason: Added picture
Rodie09 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 07:12   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedes needs a trip to the dealer for the simplest of the things? I presume the owner's daughter was also onboard, then absolutely the kitten would be saved irrespective of the costs and consequences!

There was a time these little fellows were camping next to my car (and sometimes under the hood during winter) and I had a 'standard operating procedure' before I start the car to thoroughly inspect under the hood, under the car, etc. and shoo these kittens off. I would even listen to the sounds carefully for the first few minutes of driving. They were my friends as they didn't let the rats come near the car!

Mercedes underbody disassembled to rescue kitten-cat.jpg
androdev is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 04:08   #10
BHPian

I am elated even though I don't like to keep pets in my home. I don't like to even touch a dog or cat except the cows we had in our village with our grand parents. Kudos to the car owner and also to Mercedes workshop doing this for free. Honestly speaking, I would have hesitated to disassemble the car even if it is swift. Here the owner agreed to disassemble few parts of a Mercedes to rescue a life. Hatsoff .

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Mercedes needs a trip to the dealer for the simplest of the things? I presume the owner's daughter was also onboard, then absolutely the kitten would be saved irrespective of the costs and consequences!

Attachment 1824694
You owe those cats a lot for not allowing the rodents near the car. Last thing you would want is that a rat chewing up something under your S Class. I shudder to think of the bills. Touch-wood!!

And I presume the owner himself a pet lover since he had his dog in his Mercedes.

Edit: I guess the car in pic is not your S class.

Last edited by hema4saran : 5th December 2018 at 04:25.
Old 5th December 2018, 19:08   #11
BHPian

I am so glad that the kitty was rescued safely. Kudos to the owner, dealer and everyone else involved. There have been many more such instances of animals getting stuck in car, I read another one recently where a cat was stuck in some luxury car in Kerela, I don't seem to be able to find that post though.
Old 6th December 2018, 12:48   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's a relatively recent one where a BMW owner saved a cobra that was in his car - http://www.newindianexpress.com/stat...t-1897007.html

Quote:
COIMBATORE: A five-foot-long Spectacled cobra that had found refuge in the chassis (the base frame of a vehicle) of a car was rescued and released into the reserve forest at Mattathukadu near Madukkarai.

Though its constant hissing had given it away when the car’s owner was en route to a village in Tirupur, he had to bring it into a showroom in Thennampalayam Pirivu in Neelambur before the snake could be removed from the vehicle.

N Vignesh Raj, owner of a knitwear company in Tirupur, was headed to Muthur (Tirupur district) with a relative to attend a wedding. Starting out on Thursday evening, Vignesh noticed a constant hissing sound emanating from the depths of the car. It was when he stopped to check the source that he caught a glimpse of a snake moving in the chassis.

With no way of safely chasing away the snake, he continued driving to his village. However, when he checked again, there was no sign of the reptile. Villagers suggested that it had probably slithered away somewhere along the way.

Not entirely satisfied with that assurance, Vignesh sought the help of a car showroom in Thennampalayam Pirivu. He was asked to come in on Friday to have the car checked. It took half an hour and the removal of two wheels to trace the snake to the chassis.

Soon after it was discovered, the snake slithered out of the car. Though workers at the showroom were prepared to beat it to death, snake catcher R Sanjay was called.

Sanjay, member of Save The Snakes with over 7,000 rescues to his credit, arrived at the showroom at 3 pm on Friday afternoon and safely rescued the snake. He identified it as the common spectacled cobra.

While the episode ended with both humans and the snake safely going their way, it was a nerve-wracking experience for Vignesh. Having seen the snake in the chassis, he was naturally terrified. He had to make sure that he did not open the car doors or windows till he reached the showroom to keep the snake out, he narrated.

Save the snakes

Sanjay, member of Save The Snakes with over 7,000 rescues to his credit, arrived at the showroom at 3 pm on Friday afternoon and safely rescued the snake. He identified it as the common spectacled cobra
Old 6th December 2018, 13:05   #13
BHPian

That snake experience sounds scary!
I wonder if some animal like a snake in the above case can find its way into the cabin through the firewall. Imagine driving on the highway and suddenly you feel a snake slithering around your leg!
Old 8th December 2018, 16:06   #14
BHPian

I have on three separate occasion rescued kittens from inside engine bays - twice , they were my own adopted kitties and another happened recently here in Kolkata - again a kitty I used to feed , this one got inside the elantra engine and it was my own foresight that saved him. I used food in all three cases to lure them out and it sometimes took as much as one hour.

Speaking of snakes , when father was posted in Guwahati (early 90s) , a King cobra was found chilling on the back sit of a colleague's car. He found out after getting inside . Another incident was even more dangerous , an unidentified snake had crawled under the dashboard and started uncoiling itself as the car was being driven - this too I believe is an Assam incident (that place is infested I tell you , I had snakes crawl over my feet literally speaking and I was six or seven years old then ).

Animals , be that snake or cats , love car engine bays because it is warm and provides a cave like shelter. If you observe there are kittens in your usual parking area , it is a good idea to keep a tally and check the engine bay if required.

Last edited by basuroy : 8th December 2018 at 16:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks