Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2019, 18:56   #1
BHPian

Traffic Sahayak App: How to make money from traffic offenders!

Whenever I drive on the Pune roads, I see roads infested with morons. All the time breaking some or the other rule. It stressed me out to a great extent initially but, later I have come to terms with it. I always felt I should have some way to punish these offenders by reporting their offenses.

Well, now you have an option. Though it is not perfect but something is better than nothing!

I came across this app named Traffic Sahayak. You can record an offence and they report it to the respective authority by collecting the video, location and other details. The reward (Rs 10) though paltry, avenges me to some extent.
So here is the quick review.

Pros:
  • Relatively easy to use UI
  • Offence approval process is fairly quick (less than 24 hrs). Though defers on case to case basis
  • Mobikwik wallet integration is seamless
  • Multiple vehicle - Multiple offenses can be reported via same video

Cons:
  • Not all offenses are listed. So you have to choose between what is available
  • You can report offenses only via live recording through your mobile's camera. No option to upload videos recorded on other devices like dashcam.
  • Reward amount is paltry
  • Reward amount can be transferred only to Mobikwik wallet. No other options available as of now.
  • Live recording is not possible many times when you are traveling or when you have to record it secretly
  • Have to enter each vehicle's registration number manually though clearly visible in the video

Offences reported by me were mostly wrong side driving (as it irks me the most) followed by wrong parking, tinted windows.

Below are the screenshots. So far I have earned Rs 190
Attached Thumbnails
Traffic Sahayak App: How to make money from traffic offenders!-dashboard.jpg  

Traffic Sahayak App: How to make money from traffic offenders!-ui.jpg  

Traffic Sahayak App: How to make money from traffic offenders!-home-screen.jpg  

Traffic Sahayak App: How to make money from traffic offenders!-upload-history.jpg  

Traffic Sahayak App: How to make money from traffic offenders!-faqs-guidelines.jpg  

StepUP! is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 19:10   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Traffic Sahayak App: How to make money from traffic offenders!

I read about this:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...-offences.html (Goa Police will now reward citizens for reporting traffic offences)

I had no idea something like that exists in Pune as well. If I just drive around town for a couple of hours, I might just be able to retire and do this full-time, that's the amount of traffic offenses I witness each day (and I have proof on my dashcam).

But I said this on that thread and I'll reiterate. I won't indulge in any such exercise until, a) reporting is anonymous, b) there's objective fairness: someone raised a valid point - what if the same offense is reported multiple times or by multiple people.
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 19:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would be apprehensive about the authorities giving away the name of the person who reported a violation. Anything can be obtained in this country for some money or chai pani.
But I think generally if they can take care of such things, its a good idea to crowdsource some jobs like this.

There have been such examples of reporting a pothole, garbage with gps co-ordinates in Bengaluru. Not sure how its working
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 09:03   #4
BHPian

Thanks for sharing this. I get irked daily by wrong side drivers whose body language is as if its their birth right to drive that way. One such moron driving on the wrong side once tried to kick my car from his two wheeler as he was cramped for space. He didn't succeed, but he was at a greater danger of being hurt if he succeeded.

I think incentive is just a token. Many of us would be willing to report these morons free of cost (in fact I'd be willing to pay Rs 10 myself if they take action on the morons!).

But stopping the vehicle to record the offence is not practicable. Is it possible to place the mobile on the windshield and then trim the videos to show offences once you reach home? Is the app suitably designed for such usage?

Anonymity is also important. Hope the makers of the app clarify on this.

BTW the app's author seems to be some private player - not any Govt department. Wonder whether this can be regarded as an official initiative of the Govt, as ultimately they are the ones to act on the reported violations. App description does not mention of any such arrangement between the app makers and the Govt.

Last edited by mayuresh : 8th March 2019 at 09:13.
mayuresh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 09:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Traffic Sahayak App: How to make money from traffic offenders!

Thanks for sharing this. I can totally understand your frustration. An easy to use smartphone-based system like this is a must for Pune, especially since a majority of road users have absolute disregard for traffic rules and most go unpunished.

Something you often hear from traffic cops in the city is that they are overwhelmed by the sheer number of road users and can't catch each and every offender. Therefore, a traffic offense reporting system like the one introduced in Goa would certainly help.

The problem with the people here (and probably elsewhere in the country) is that if there are rules to follow, they need a minder. Cops cannot be deployed at every location all the time. So, a system like this would make people think twice before breaking traffic rules as there could be someone in their immediate vicinity who could report them to the police, thus instilling the fear of law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I won't indulge in any such exercise until, a) reporting is anonymous, b) there's objective fairness: someone raised a valid point - what if the same offense is reported multiple times or by multiple people.
I also agree with the points raised by libranof1987.
TusharK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 18:52   #6
BHPian

Re: Traffic Sahayak App: How to make money from traffic offenders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
BTW the app's author seems to be some private player - not any Govt department. Wonder whether this can be regarded as an official initiative of the Govt, as ultimately they are the ones to act on the reported violations. App description does not mention of any such arrangement between the app makers and the Govt.

Sorry to sound pessimistic. The app may be wonderful. But what strengthens the suspicion is it has no connection with the law enforcement authorities is another news article that depicts state of traffic in Pune.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/68455985.cms

The complainant has tried logging a complaint for wrong side driving in various forums such as whatsapp number, facebook and even by personally visiting the police. Nobody took cognizance of her complaint - quite obvious when the policemen on duty are quite lenient to wrong side driving happening under their nose.

If this is the state no amount of technology is going to achieve any betterment to the situation. Neither policemen nor public seem to find any problems with wrong side driving. Feel ashamed of belonging to such society.

Most Viewed