Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2019, 17:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Learn driving in your own car - Sharp Drives, Bangalore

I have been on the lookout for a driving school for the purpose of car driving for my wife, who learnt driving about a decade back and then lost touch. While surfing through the net, found this on Quora https://www.sharpdrives.in/ and thought this sounds very interesting.

They provide experienced professionals (claimed) who teach in your own car. I have a 6 year old Dzire, so I am fine with the wife learning on this as she would drive this car once she learns, so thought of checking with the forum if anyone has had any experiences with them.

MODS: I searched for relevant thread on this topic and found none. Please feel free to move as appropriate. Thanks!!

Last edited by dass : 5th April 2019 at 17:02.
dass is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 17:43   #2
BHPian

re: Learn driving in your own car - Sharp Drives, Bangalore

I may be wrong but don't they have dual ABC set-up in driving school cars? This won't be available in personal cars which could be risky I guess.

I for one would prefer the driving school car even without this dual ABC system as they are properly equipped with stickers and warning signs. Also, liability wise it is a good idea to take the driving school car rather than own.
the_skyliner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 18:38   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I have been on the lookout for a driving school for the purpose of car driving for my wife, who learnt driving about a decade back and then lost touch.
My cousin and her husband, both of them who has licence and have driven cars for short duration many years back used service of Sharp drives couple of months back once they got a new car.

They had good reviews about the service. However, one issue that may come up is that it all depends on how good or bad the driver who is allotted to you is. They were assigned the same driver for entire duration spread across some 1.5 months with sessions only on weekends.

You are charged per hours of session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
I may be wrong but don't they have dual ABC set-up in driving school cars? This won't be available in personal cars which could be risky I guess.
Agree. However, there are many who has got license and 'knows' how to drive. The issue is to get comfortable with car.

Driving schools, in general unfortunately don't bother much on making you a better driver. They are only bothered about getting you a license.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 14:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Driving schools, in general unfortunately don't bother much on making you a better driver. They are only bothered about getting you a license.
This is 100% correct. I went to Maruti Driving School when I was 18, since my parents were not completely aware of the fact that I knew how to drive already If I remember correctly, they charged significantly more than other local driving schools and although my experience was fairly smooth since they hardly required me to do much as they quickly discovered that I already knew how to drive, I was disgusted with the entire practice. I detested the twin pedal setup. Initially when I completed the simulator training part of the course, when they put me in a Swift, I felt that something was weird with the cars pedals as they were not consistent in feel and I wasn't able to judge pedal inputs as accurately as I normally would be able to. Later on, I realized that this is because the instructor also has a set of pedals on his side and that this is probably the reason. Also, I discovered that these buffoons advocate usage of clutch way too often so technically they are teaching the wrong technique itself to others. In the end when I went for my driving test, there was a middle aged woman who was part of my batch and she simply could not drive at all yet she was coming along. She couldn't even do a simple H pattern and figure of 8 on the joke of a driving test that we had. Yet, I suppose because she paid a lot to the driving school, she was allowed to retake the test again and again until she probably fluked it to get her license

All in all, I advocate learning in your own car itself because not only will you not have to get used to something else, the twin pedal nonsense is simply too much of a jugaad and the instructors at most driving schools just suck.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 7th April 2019 at 14:27.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 15:36   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Learn driving in your own car - Sharp Drives, Bangalore

If any of my family members wanted to learn how to drive, it certainly would NOT be in our own car . I'd prefer that they first clean their hands in a car owned by the driving school as mechanical abuse and nicks / dents are all part of the learning process!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
This too
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks