Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2019, 08:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Are the bike-sharing apps taking business away from app-based taxis?

The streets of Bangalore are flooded with shared bikes like Bounce, Vogo, Driveezy etc. I was startled to see the ever increasing percentage of black number plates on roads. This includes the self-rental cars as well.

Looks like people are moving away from app based taxis and using public transport for commute and bike-sharing for last-mile connectivity for longer distances and bike-sharing entirely for shorter distances.

Though I have never tried them, it looks like with increasing numbers of bikes they have become much more reliable and attractive particularly for the younger crowd. The app based taxis, off late, have become extremely unaffordable in most cities.

The public transport has always been bogged down by the last mile connectivity problem. If these apps can resolve that, I think this model works the best. These are extremely cheap at around 5Rs per Km. Also no need to depend on the whims and fancies of app based taxi drivers. Availability has also gone up.

But the rampant misuse of these bikes is becoming a major issue. This is reported in the forum itself in the Bounce review thread. The other day our apartment entrance was blocked by a dozen Bounce bikes and we had to physically move them to ensure smooth flow of traffic. The bike sharing firms need to quickly resolve this teething issue.
Few related news links.
https://www.business-standard.com/ar...3100559_1.html
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/70472885.cms
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 11:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Are the bike-sharing apps taking business away from app-based taxis?

I am sure bike sharing will never replace cab.
Imagine going from your home to important client meeting on a bike in rains, or going to airport in the heavy traffic.

Bike sharing can at best be only a literal last mile transportation option.
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:55   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think it can replace, Ola/Uber will be more useful in some situations. However it is affecting the business of Uber and Ola for sure.

Couple of my colleagues who come in the company cab usually. sometimes when the can't leave in the cab come with me or other colleagues using Quickride. Now my home and their home is 2-3kms apart. near my home they take a Bounce. it is good and economic as well. Quick ride-70 rupees. Bounce 7-rupees. The same distance in Uber/Ola costs around 300 rupees.
Apart from the cost, many Ola/Uber drivers these days remind us of Olden days when commuters were at the mercy of Auto drivers...commuters could go only where Auto drivers wished to go and not the other way round

There are some people who believe that some rogue Ola/Uber drivers are the people who damage these Bounce/Vogo scooters so that they close down!
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 13:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think these bike sharing apps should learn few tricks from self drive rental companies. A vehicle is always picked up and dropped at specific touch points, which are hopefully manned by staff(needed for countries such as ours) to ensure the vehicle condition before/after ride is complete.

Main problem I notice is people just park these bikes in the middle of no-where. I have seen scooters in the middle of fly-over(Wondering if some poor lazy soul needed a bike to jump off). This results in abuse and damage to the infrastructure.
rajshenoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 14:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:
I think these bike sharing apps should learn few tricks from self drive rental companies. A vehicle is always picked up and dropped at specific touch points, which are hopefully manned by staff(needed for countries such as ours) to ensure the vehicle condition before/after ride is complete
I think both Vogo and Drivezy have specific pickup and drop points. Drivezy offers bike rental for longer duration and people can opt for weeks/months
Old 4th August 2019, 11:03   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Are the bike-sharing apps taking business away from app-based taxis?

Mod Note: Thread moved to the Street Experiences section! Thanks for sharing.
Old 5th August 2019, 14:31   #7
BHPian

Bike sharing apps are very very useful and flexible mode of commute in cities. But they cant replace Ola/Uber due to many reasons already posted by members

But, looking at the way people use (or misuse rather) these bikes, I don't think these business will last long.
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 07:56   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

Main problem I notice is people just park these bikes in the middle of no-where. I have seen scooters in the middle of fly-over(Wondering if some poor lazy soul needed a bike to jump off). This results in abuse and damage to the infrastructure.
I used to think the same, but came to know that it's because of running of out of fuel. Not many refuel and upload a bill to claim a reimbursement.
Also, I have seen Bounce regularly hiring huge trucks to collect all the bikes and redistribute them again to strategic points ( 90% of the time i saw these trucks on a Sunday ).
And I am seeing Yulu electric bikes in the same state..Out of charge and left in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by rajwheelz : 6th August 2019 at 07:57. Reason: Removed extra lines
rajwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 09:58   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The manner in which these rental bikes are abused , especially Bounce, pains me to a great extent. I have seen scooters that are stripped to the chassis. Fuel is stolen. Tyres/wheels are removed, headlamps are smashed, seats are torn. I have seen bikes dumped on the rain water drain along NICE road. Feels like a criminal torture and abuse, albeit on vehicles.

We, as a society have a long way to go in terms of maturity to use shared property/services. Unless Bounce makes some stringent changes to their policies and fine such users heavily, they will wrap up their business in near future. Such businesses cannot survive in an immature and brutal society like ours.
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 10:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The manner in which these rental bikes are abused , especially Bounce, pains me to a great extent. I have seen scooters that are stripped to the chassis. Fuel is stolen. Tyres/wheels are removed, headlamps are smashed, seats are torn. I have seen bikes dumped on the rain water drain along NICE road. Feels like a criminal torture and abuse, albeit on vehicles.

We, as a society have a long way to go in terms of maturity to use shared property/services. Unless Bounce makes some stringent changes to their policies and fine such users heavily, they will wrap up their business in near future. Such businesses cannot survive in an immature and brutal society like ours.

Completely agree with you. People generally have no regards to using others property, such a pity. I have used Bounce thrice, in two of them both the mirrors were missing.

Also even if Bounce want to penalize the people who do such kind of mischief, how will they zero in on a particular user who could have dont it? Seems practically impossible.

KK
Old 6th August 2019, 18:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

My regular commute being within North Bangalore and along KIAL highway, I increasingly notice these bike- sharing scooters heading towards the airport (the luggage being the giveaway), not to mention self drive rental cars as well. The substantial savings probably more than offset the inconvenience of driving/riding even considering the return ride after an airport drop
Old 6th August 2019, 22:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

I only hope the bike/scooter sharing apps sort out their issues and thrive. It will make a huge difference to last mile connectivity and also force taxis/autos to be more customer friendly
Old 7th August 2019, 08:47   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

To me, this was the last thing that Bangalore needed.. MORE people who'd be rashly zipping and cutting down the streets in a two-wheeler, without the need of owning a two wheeler, with the added benefit (to them, a nightmare for the non-users) of wantonly parking or waylaying their vehicle the very second they don't need it. This means that since their anonymity is certain, they can exploit the roads, break road rules, break signals (I've seen that personally) and stop on the dime and park right there where their destination lies, which most often is in front of someone else's gate or property.

My opinion may not be popular and fanatic national patriots consider me a pariah but here's the cold hard truth : In a country with about 1/3rd the land area of United States and with an excess of three times (most of them unruly and unlawful) the population of the United States.. rental vehicles are about the stupidest idea one can come up with, it may make some returns initially but when the company adds up vehicular damages, misuse, cost of transporting and re-fueling etc, they will land in a bust sooner or later, unless their plan is too off-load their stock to some other bigger transportation app, with Softbank grinning ear to ear either way.
Old 17th August 2019, 10:38   #14
BHPian

This has become a pain in the neck! Rampant parking in all places and negligent driving by the users. The other day the Bounce guys came to our area - Jayanagar 3rd block telling they want to make a very neat and clean area near a park as a parking lot for these bikes and the rational was it will help customers. Well the residents resisted it and threatened to call the cops and then they had to scoot. Trust me, the way these bikes are parked haphazardly is a menace.

The concept of rent and all that may be good, however the parking issue is to be checked by the guys who run this business.
Old 17th August 2019, 10:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
My opinion may not be popular and fanatic national patriots consider me a pariah but here's the cold hard truth
I completely agree with you on this. This was really not needed at this time especially when Bengaluru has almost gone to the dogs as far as traffic and traffic sense is concerned. I really wonder how our governance even permits such schemes and ideas!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks