Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will the steep traffic fines deter traffic offenders?
Yes 409 88.91%
No 51 11.09%
Voters: 460. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2019, 00:24   #121
BHPian

Re: Will the steep new traffic fines deter traffic offenders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Well, it depends on the motive of the authorities (cops/govt. etc). If the motive were to be an effective deterrent in the genuine interest of safety, the mere visible presence of cops will and does deter people from flouting rules.

Speeding on the QEW and 400s is a different story. However, I do not see people jumping red lights even at mid-night if there is no cop around. That's what I'm talking about. I would only advocate cops being visible at junctions where traffic is usually chaotic due to people blocking intersections (unintentionally) for eg. Other than that, people should be responsible enough to know that jumping a red light or breaking general traffic rules is unsafe. If they get caught and have to pay a fine, so be it. I'm all for the cops being hidden and not in plain sight. The intention is to make sure that people follow rules even when there isn't a cop in sight.

This behaviour/mentality of not following rules when big brother isn't looking over the shoulder is what plagues India. There's corruption when the ACB/CBI isn't watching. There's filth thrown around when no one's watching. How many watchdogs are we going to position and in how many places? It's time we grow up and become more responsible. If we do, it will show in everything we as a society do, including electing leaders etc. /end rant

Last edited by Sheel : 12th January 2020 at 07:20. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 11th January 2020, 11:49   #122
PGA
BHPian

Re: Will the steep new traffic fines deter traffic offenders?

Trying to revive this thread to seek opinion about the status our roads post introduction of new MV Act. Do we see any change in our behaviour on the roads. Personally for me I see no change, my state has only now implemented the new penalties, the response from the public is tepid. Why has all the din died out without making much impact on the roads, or is it still too early to take the call about its efficacy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks