Team-BHP - Short Fueling Tricks At Petrol Stations
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Short Fueling Tricks At Petrol Stations (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/21334-short-fueling-tricks-petrol-stations-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 487105)
@mainak...Dont the oil companies have a sort of a seal on the pump that we could check if it is intact ?

yes and no. oil companies dont have the seal..each meter is calibrated by Standards Bureau. After calibration of meter they seal the meter themselves. Next calibration is due after 5 years of operation or so. But if you bribe the calibrating agent, you can do with the tampering.

And the calibrating agent will seal it after it has been tampered ?? This is too deep rooted, i guess.

In india anyhting is possible with bribes. He will seal it after tampering. He would come again before the next calibration is due and recorrect the fault. So better to go for reputed company owned pumps which have Quality control steps incorporated.

I have seen one of the worst things happening.
I was in a bus traveling between Bombay and Bangalore where this couple in an Opel Astra pulled up at a highway bunk to fill up some amount. I know it wasn't a full tank. Anyways, they got cheated using the simplest trick. Another attendant got an empty fuel can and placed it near the end of the car and pumped away some fuel into that. The bloke in the car was too busy with the woman to notice anything. Not sure whether the car was new or the woman.

Moral of the story: Get off the vehicle and make sure it is filled well.

Another thought is how far away are we from self-service?

Quote:

Another thought is how far away are we from self-service?
Quite far, i must say. Loss of employment to many of the financially weaker sections, and there is no way the goverment is going to get away with it.

These malpractices also explain the variation I get in my FE when refuelling from different petrol pumps.:Frustrati

BTW, does anyone know of good fill stations in East Delhi? I find the IOC pump at Anand Vihar bit reliable. Any suggestions?

hello all,

last weekend i was on a trip to golden temple in vellore.While returning back we had our lunch at Relaince A1 plaza on the chennai-blore highway.
After tat we were in queue to fill our tank.A person from karnataka wasto fill ahead of us.He asked to fill for Rs.500.First the vendor filled for Rs.50 and said that he mistakenly set the meter to 5o instead of 500.Again he started filling (after doing some bla bla wit the machine) and stoppped at 450. Now the arguement started b/w the car owner and vendor that the machine was not reset before flling upto 450,whereas the vendor said it otherwise!!! my uncle who noticed this got that persons rescue and after lots of quarrel they paid only 450.

Mod's Note: Please carry out a search to find a relevant thread to post, rather than opening a new thread.

I have actually come across an honest petrol pump (BPCL) in Mumbai. The FE of my car has jumped by 1-1.5 Kmpl due to this shift.

This guy actually tests the quantity dispensed by each nozzle everyday at around 8:30 am by pouring 1L from nozzle into a glass jar, one by one for each of the 16 nozzles.He said thats the policy dictated by the company. Wonder how many bunks would do this.clap:

Guys, this one is right between Westside and the Sanghi Merc showroom on Hughes Road.

I guess talking about an honest bunk would be off-topic for this thread.:OT

Quote:

Originally Posted by madan80 (Post 486752)
then at another pump, the bill was some 1475.75, the dude swipes my card for 1476, and i was like no, im not signing, because the amount is different. so he grumbles and gives me back 25p. sometimes, they dont get that even if its 25 paise, its still un-ethical.

Happened to me quite a number of time at the BP Petrol station on the NH7 after Sujata. I asked him to fill in for Rs150, and as the reading shows 149.76
he stopped filling. I asked him for the 25 np back and never again filled up there again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PVS (Post 693617)
Happened to me quite a number of time at the BP Petrol station on the NH7 after Sujata. I asked him to fill in for Rs150, and as the reading shows 149.76
he stopped filling. I asked him for the 25 np back and never again filled up there again.

I dont think that qualifies for cheating. The petrol bunk guys cannot help it as the meter will jump from 0.76 to probably over the rupee.So they stop in advance.

Also, i dont think 25np coins are in rotation nowlol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 693686)
I dont think that qualifies for cheating. The petrol bunk guys cannot help it as the meter will jump from 0.76 to probably over the rupee.So they stop in advance.

They can always punch in the amt and then start dispensing.

Quote:

Also, i dont think 25np coins are in rotation nowlol:
They still are. And anyone refusing to accept them as change can be booked under law.

As far as I am concerned, whenever I fill at a bunk that is not Shell, I ask the attendent to punch in the amount, set to nozzle to auto lock and take his hands off...any one who dosent oblige, I simply pull my bike aside and ask for the complain book. The keyword "Complain book" opens their ears/eyes in milliseconds.

On the otherhand, when filling in my Esteem, I always used to go for topups...always at shell though. And quite a few times it has so happened, that the auto cut has stopped after filling in 5Lt, whereas topup takes in another 25lts of fuel!
Not sure how to handle this....may be from next time onwards I can announce beforehand...full tank, no topup!

Regards,

I never have this problem as i always fill to the brim which is usually 39/40L and i dont go buy rupee value but by Litres and i always pay by credit card ( therefore, fractions have never been a problem)

Quote:

Originally Posted by risga (Post 693000)
I guess talking about an honest bunk would be off-topic for this thread.:OT

hehe, you got company now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by risga (Post 693000)
This guy actually tests the quantity dispensed by each nozzle everyday at around 8:30 am by pouring 1L from nozzle into a glass jar, one by one for each of the 16 nozzles.He said thats the policy dictated by the company. Wonder how many bunks would do this.clap:

If anyone living in Bangalore is interested in taking a look at the above, please do drop in to a Shell pump in the morning, maybe by 630am or so.

About sometime back,the HP folks advertised about new electronic dispensing units. Something like e-fueling. The ad had a nozzle with half of it like an x-ray of it filled with wires and sensors.

I wonder if that would prevent losses from fuel still in the pipe.

cya
A

The easiest solution would be for the car companies to put electronic gauges instead of the chronological, which can give you the exact amount of the fuel in the tank or the exact amount added.

Wonder if its feasible. If yes, it should be the standard fitment for all cars sold in India.