Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2019, 11:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Uber to start audio-recording inside cabs to boost safety

I believe the app will vest the right to record sound, with the user. In that case, our privacy is still in our hands.
Old 2nd December 2019, 12:36   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
I believe the app will vest the right to record sound, with the user. In that case, our privacy is still in our hands.
I was thinking about this, but again, only when a fight breaks out between the passenger and driver and passenger wants to prove the other party was wrong, then the recording starts. So, it should start recording only when driver speaks. I am not sure about voice recognition technology, but can the recording be done only when driver speaks and not the passenger ? In that case, the issue of passenger privacy might also be addressed.

There may be so many scenarios, that a complete coverage of the issue might be tough to deploy.

What comes next ? Video recording ?
livetodrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 13:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetodrive View Post
I was thinking about this, but again, only when a fight breaks out between the passenger and driver and passenger wants to prove the other party was wrong, then the recording starts. So, it should start recording only when driver speaks. I am not sure about voice recognition technology, but can the recording be done only when driver speaks and not the passenger ? In that case, the issue of passenger privacy might also be addressed.

There may be so many scenarios, that a complete coverage of the issue might be tough to deploy.

What comes next ? Video recording ?
What if the driver keeps on talking? It doesn't make sense.
The permission to record audio should be in the hands of the passenger.
For example: a lonely lady or a person traveling at odd hours would prefer to have the audio recorded for their safety.

Related topics from India.
Chaayos facial recognition tech sparks calls for data protection law in India
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 14:07   #19
BHPian

I would like to flip this whole thing 180-degree.

Maybe I as a consumer should start recording all Uber trips on my smartphone. That way if anything untoward happens I have proof without having to rely on Uber/Ola, whose track record in protecting rider's interest / safety is "mixed", to put it generously. (Downright pathetic in my own personal experience).
gautam109 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 16:17   #20
BHPian

Not sure why this is being mistaken as an invasion of privacy - this is a move to ensure safety and promote law compliance.
1. The recordings will be on the drivers phone (for all rides), and the passengers phone (if he/she wishes to record any improper behaviour).

2. The recordings are encrypted - these cannot be opened without a key that only Uber will have access to.

3. These recordings arent being uploaded to Uber directly. If the driver or passenger reports an incident, the recording will be shared with Uber. Uber can also share this with the law agencies.

In my humble opinion, this is a pretty good move (albeit at the cost of a few privacy concerns). This move will provide a proof of who-said-what, and who is to blame in case of driver-passenger conflict.

Most of all, this will provide an additional level of security to the women folk, and prevent incidents and proof of wrongdoings in cases such as - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...men-night.html (How safe are Uber/Ola for women at night)

nishsingh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 03:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

I don't like this move. Although privacy is a lie, I'd not like to give consent to a system to listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I feel this is a data collection for feeding to some natural language-based AI engine. A car is a place to collect a lot of conversations and to have any driverless car which is trained to take inputs from the cabin occupants
I don't think this is a case. With self driving tech, you should also be able to use the app and enter the destination like how you do today.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 3rd December 2019 at 03:04.
Old 3rd December 2019, 07:49   #22
BHPian

Privacy.. what privacy ? While travelling in a third party private or public transport vehicle, one always carries a risk of being over heard and seen and has to be cautious on what is being said despite paying money. It's not ones' private car or living room..

If implemented right , this may reduce untoward incedents as driver knows he is under surveillance all the time..i would go one further and say mandatory video recording during night times where chances of crime are high..
Old 3rd December 2019, 08:34   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
Not sure why this is being mistaken as an invasion of privacy - this is a move to ensure safety and promote law compliance.
1. The recordings will be on the drivers phone (for all rides), and the passengers phone (if he/she wishes to record any improper behaviour).

2. The recordings are encrypted - these cannot be opened without a key that only Uber will have access to.

3. These recordings arent being uploaded to Uber directly. If the driver or passenger reports an incident, the recording will be shared with Uber. Uber can also share this with the law agencies.

In my humble opinion, this is a pretty good move (albeit at the cost of a few privacy concerns). This move will provide a proof of who-said-what, and who is to blame in case of driver-passenger conflict.

- https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...men-night.html (How safe are Uber/Ola for women at night)

While on the surface their intentions are all innocent and saintly and have the advantage of safety, I am sure that there are clauses buried in the T&C allowing them to review/use our audio recordings (or parts of it) in the guise of "improving our sevices" and
" providing the user with a better experience " and also allowing them to make changes to the terms in the future to allow them to possibly use the data in the future.

All they have to do is push a notification on the app in the future, to which you'll blindly press "AGREE" and Baam...they have permission to use it

These recordings will themselves be worth a lot. And for a tech company it's a literal Goldmine/Data Oil field. Do you really think they'll not use it?

These are greedy fast growing,loss making, capitalist Unicorn companies with sociopath geniuses at the helm you are talking about. They will do just about anything to make the money as long as it doesn't kill people.

If you carefully read through their terms and conditions I'm sure you'll come to a different conclusion
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:22   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
Privacy.. what privacy ? While travelling in a third party private or public transport vehicle, one always carries a risk of being over heard and seen and has to be cautious on what is being said despite paying money. It's not ones' private car or living room..

If implemented right , this may reduce untoward incedents as driver knows he is under surveillance all the time..i would go one further and say mandatory video recording during night times where chances of crime are high..
Largely agree with this - one shouldn't be saying stuff in a cab that one doesn't mind having overheard in first place. Though there is a difference in "comfort level" between driver / co-passenger overhearing a conversation vs it being recorded on the cloud, potentially for posterity.

Re. video - it's not so simple. I often work on my laptop when commuting on Uber. Sometimes there are confidential client reports or e-mails open. Can't have them getting recorded & stored on random servers, no matter how "secure" the system is designed / claimed to be.

All issues are solved if the app requires rider's explicit consent to record & ideally consent is taken separately for video & audio (if/when video is introduced).

Last edited by gautam109 : 3rd December 2019 at 11:32. Reason: typo
Old 3rd December 2019, 23:21   #25
ais
BHPian

This is a good idea, as is anything to ensure passenger safety. I've been a victim of assault by an Uber driver last year. He is facing criminal proceedings. Uber denied all liability in reply to my legal notice. A comprehensive case will be filed soon to end cab aggregators free run.

Had there been voice or video recording, this and several other crimes would have been avoided because the drivers would have known better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks