Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2019, 16:28   #46
BHPian

Re: Owner gets donkeys to pull MG Hector; MG initiates action against him

Try to sell something to the customer. If for whatever reason the customer doesn't like it, abuse the customer. Technically the customer has bought the car. How he gets it's wheels to move shouldn't be a matter of concern to MG. If tomorrow a Hector is stranded on the middle of the road and people get down to push it cursing their way to glory, is MG going to file a case?

Yes, its a machine and it can have issues. It could in fact very well be a lemon. But initiating a case against the customer who has paid for the car in all good will is totally uncalled for. MG should remember the case of the duster being donated to a municipal board in Kota. I think there was also a businessman who got fed up with his Jaguar and got it towed by a pair of donkeys to the showroom. How can we forget the in famous case of Vinayak Skoda selling a fake Rapid Black Edition and Zac Hollis stepping in himself to have it resolved? MG should learn and not act bully.

Last edited by SmartCat : 10th December 2019 at 23:52. Reason: Offensive bits removed
sub.g84 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 16:53   #47
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam109 View Post
Damn! If MG's facebook page handlers are using this as a template reply to persistent complaints or strong criticism, they're doing a FAR better job of defaming MG than any customer ever could!
My thoughts exactly when I read the reply screenshot. The tone itself was wrong and they could have worded it much better. " We always aim to offer the best customer experience and are in touch with the individual over how we can help resolve this issue " - Something on these lines probably would have sent a better message to prospective buyers

Quote:
Seeing the number of complaints on the fb page about the clutch plate overheating / burning, MG would do well to initiate a mass recall and fix along with an apology. They had dream launch in India, would be such a shame to fritter it away.
A mass recall of their first car would be the worst publicity. I don't see that happening.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 9th December 2019 at 17:46. Reason: formatting
AZT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 17:20   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub.g84 View Post
Well that is a typical Chinese mentality. Try to sell something to the customer. If for whatever reason the customer doesn't like it, abuse the customer. I take pity on the chap who spent his hard earned 20 lacs on a chinese car.
Well done, that's exactly how we paint 1.4 billion people with a single brush.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 18:00   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Well done, that's exactly how we paint 1.4 billion people with a single brush.
I agree with you to an extent.

But for a brand which has been synthetically positioning itself as a British brand (which it is, albeit only technically), its nationality isn't off the table. It is very much on the table and in fact staring at us right on our face.

Secondly, it is MG who took the pain of picking up the paint brush and the paint can. If they'd not gone after the customer, most of us wouldn't have known about this problem of theirs. Now? With their heavy handed response? Their attitude does make one remember China's characteristics - whether it be Russell Peters on stage, comically impersonating an angry Chinese shopkeeper scolding a customer with the immortally funny line "Be a man..do the right thing".

Why did they even go to the extent of branding themselves as being British only to present themselves as distinctly Chinese in their actions? We didn't ask them to do either of those things. This is Branding 101, Chapter 2, titled "Thou shalt not say one thing and act otherwise"

Last edited by SmartCat : 10th December 2019 at 23:46. Reason: Political bits edited
locusjag is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 19:49   #50
BHPian

This thread is on the brink of being fairly racist and bigoted. While I definitely don't support MG's callous attitude here, I don't see why the country of origin of the manufacturer and calling out "typical Chinese mentality" is necessary here.

Yes, MG is a Chinese owned brand that was once a British company. That does not mean that they are incompetent. They set up a huge manufacturing facility in the country and brought out a seemingly well engineered and competitive product to the market. They have also seen decent success in more mature markets such as the UK.

How would y'all feel if people globally called out Land Rover and Jag for being unreliable due to their incompetent Indian owners?

MG needs to fix this and definitely mature as an organization. But please blame management and the system without perpetuating extremely damaging and bigoted stereotypes.
prakhar1998 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 22:34   #51
BHPian

We were considering BS6 MG Hector as our upgrade in Mar'20. Called up their office and asked for a test drive. However after seeing the MG's heavy handed response to frustrated customer action, we are seriously re-considering. We had couple of cars from VW, three cars from Maruti, one from Hyundai and two from Tata, and in general we had decent, non aggressive support from all these companies or their Authorised service centers.

Now we are just thinking of dropping MG Hector and go with Jeep Compass, which we had driven for nearly 60kms as test drive. Still three months to go..

Last edited by ajmat : 9th December 2019 at 23:14. Reason: Compass not campus
manjubp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 23:54   #52
BHPian

Why are we just ready to pounce on MG?
Agreed that the owner would have got a lemon and MG could have handled it better.

Remember, MG had invested a lot and also providing lots of employment opportunities to our people. Also the parts suppliers will be getting good enough business from them.

Just bashing MG because its a Chinese product will discourage other original Chinese OEM from investing in India. There are other manufacturers like SAIC and Great Wall Motors ready with their money to invest in India. Imagine the amount of money that we might lose and the employment opportunities that could go down the drain once they decide to back out, knowing that the path forward for them isn't easy.

Volvo too is Chinese now, but we don't bash them around for whatever little niggles that it have. Though I am not sure where Volvo cars are being manufactured now.

Let both the parties affected present their sides of the stories respectively before we conclude anything.
DrCar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 03:06   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I see this as a publicity stunt more than anything else. I am sure with proper communication and interaction issues could have been resolved. I have heard of many instances where MG is keen to listen to the customer and have found solutions. Even if not, there are consumer courts that the person could have reached out to.

In addition, I would say that it is also cruelty to the donkey that was made to pull that vehicle, even if over a small distance.
Especially the latter. That fellow should be thrown in jail. We desperately need stricter animal rights control.
slango97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 06:07   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
But for a brand which has been synthetically positioning itself as a British brand (which it is, albeit only technically), its nationality isn't off the table. It is very much on the table and in fact staring at us right on our face.
Well, agree to an extent that its an synthetically created brand. A little bit peak into history and some facts:

MG is owned by SAIC. They are also in 50:50 partnership with GM and Hector is part of global launch of 2019 Captiva. In 2017 General Motors packed up and left Indian customers in utter lurch. Transferred its plant to MG in 2017 itself. So, GM didn't left in hurry, it was a well thought after plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
MG needs to fix this and definitely mature as an organization. But please blame management and the system..
Well, lets talk about the current management at MG, again we have to refresh our memory a bit - remember the infamous Tavera issue where GM dodged the Conformity of Production (COP) audit by making available pre-tested, BS III-compliant engines to the inspectors. Moreover they manipulated, where certain variants of the Tavera were wrongly counted in a higher weight class in order to be able to face more lenient emissions standards. They were caught, penalized and had to recall 1.14 lac vehicles.

And, who were part of the management at that time:

Quote:
US auto major General Motors has dismissed 25 people, including former head of India operations Rajeev Chaba, who is now VP, Sales and Marketing in China, and current CFO Anil Mehrotra, for violations of company policy regarding recall of 1.14 lakh units Chevrolet Tavera in India.
https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu.../-1652683.html

Enough said, finding it extremely difficult to trust MG.
gutsy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 08:36   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
This is just ridiculous. Just wondering who or which team thought that the best way to go would be to initiate action against a disgruntled customer who put up money to buy your car. is this Chinese democracy being implemented in India by MG (SAIC) for the Hector (Baojun 530)?

That said, they are cool enough to crack jokes on themselves because their facebook response ends with 'brand's highly held reputation'

It is neither British nor 'highly held' by any measure. This is not the way to start your journey in a new country. I can't imagine Kia doing this.
aaychat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 08:39   #56
BHPian

In the absence of lemon laws these legal actions have zero value other than both parties screwing each other over publicly. The man will never get a new car and MG won't get a cent out of the guy.
Pretty immature of MG to throw themselves into the mud pit.
Although, I don't think this will mean much since a majority of customers have very little value for the experiences of other customers and the Hector will continue to sell well. It's just an outlier. Ignore and buy more.
yd_gli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 08:40   #57
BHPian

Imagine 10 people doing similar things in different parts of the country. Will MG threaten them all too?
Old 10th December 2019, 10:11   #58
BHPian

Before we side with either the Esteemed Customer or the Company and start exchanging blows detrimental to both parties, I think it is of best interest to the entire automotive community to know the facts. This can only be done by our Esteemed TBHPian Vishal if he is a member in our forum or his TBHPian friends to enlighten us on what made him do this radical stunt. Of course, I have little doubt that the dealer whom I assume is the real reason behind all this trouble is basking in the sun as the customer and company are exchanging meaty blows.

Taking legal actions on a customer by a new entrant in the market is surely not a good sign of the things to come. I am sure the company may need a army of lawyers to straighten out all their future customers who may not toe their line.

Last edited by Sarath_MoJa : 10th December 2019 at 10:12. Reason: spellcheck
Sarath_MoJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 11:30   #59
BHPian

This news does not surprise me one bit. My friend was on the look out for a new ride when the Hector was launched. Petrolheads that we all are, I created a rigorous schedule of showroom visits, test drives, comparison of specs etc.... What struck me at that time was the total lack of commitment or interest that the dealers of MG in Chennai had towards the customer. Their general attitude was as if they were doing us a favor by giving us an under-priced gizmo car and everything else including customer queries were a luxury that they couldn't afford.
I knew then itself that MG will have a tough time once the honeymoon period is over if it continues with its present set of dealer network. Just having an under-priced car does not entail you to take your customers for granted.
MG has chosen to side with its dealer in ganging up against the customer instead of providing a solution.
Moral of the story? Bad ASS is a donkey
My friend went and promptly booked a Kia Seltos.
Neil Roy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 14:43   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
The man will never get a new car and MG won't get a cent out of the guy.
Actually MG seems to have offered the customer the option of 100% return or a replacement, but as per them the customer isn't interested.

Owner gets donkeys to pull MG Hector; MG initiates action against him-mg.jpg

It would still be nice if MG can get these things to be communicated more professionally.

Story at:
https://www.indiatoday.in/auto/lates...924-2019-12-10
nishsingh is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks