Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2020, 16:33   #1
BANNED

Uber rolls out RideCheck, an OTP verification feature

Under the PIN verification feature, Uber users will receive a four-digit code when they book a ride that is to be shared with the driver-partner to start the ride. Users will have to activate the feature in the app's setting.
Quote:
New Delhi: Ride hailing platform Uber on Thursday said it will roll out new safety features, including a PIN verification for starting trips and RideCheck for long, unexpected stops, for users in India.

Under the PIN verification feature, Uber users will receive a four-digit code when they book a ride that is to be shared with the driver partner to start the ride. Users will have to activate the feature in the app's setting.

Uber Senior Director of Global Safety Products Sachin Kansal said the feature is under pilot and should be rolled out to users in the next few weeks.

"In addition to the PIN, we are also working on advanced technologies that will feature ultrasound waves to automatically transmit the PIN for verifying rides," he added.

The RideCheck feature will enable Uber to flag certain trip irregularities, like long, unexpected stops or midway drops that might, in some rare cases, indicate an increased safety risk, especially for women.

"If an anomaly is detected, Uber will initiate a RideCheck by reaching out to both the rider and the driver through a push notification," Kansal said.

"Over the last three years, we have introduced several features to enhance safety standards on our platform. We have been piloting and refining these features in different markets globally to ensure that they work for riders and driver partners," Kansal said.
Interestingly, Uber's rival Ola already offer some of these features on its platform. It launched the OTP feature in 2017, while Ola Guardian feature was launched in September 2018 and recently in over 16 cities globally.
Quote:
Talking about the audio recording feature, he said both riders and driver partners can record audio during the ride.

"This audio is encrypted and can only be either deleted or shared with Uber. Neither party will be able to hear the recording. Once shared, the audio can help our agents better understand the issue and resolve them," he said.

The feature is currently in pilot in Mexico and Brazil, and Uber will look at testing it in the Indian market later this year.

Kansal said privacy is an important aspect and Uber will ensure compliance with local laws.
Source: ET Auto
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 18:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Uber rolls out RideCheck, an OTP verification feature

While the OTP feature might seem fairly redundant if one were to just verify the reg. no. and the driver name/face on the app vs. actual, we often ignore to do these basic checks when in a hurry or when taking an Uber becomes very routine.

A very heinous crime was committed in the US when a woman mistakenly entered a car thinking it was her Uber.

Quote:
A student thought she had gotten into her Uber, police say. Hours later, hunters found her body.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/crime...ound-her-body/
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 07:28   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

They are trying to put a PR spin on this. I think the real benefits of the OTP requirement are:

- To prevent the driver from starting the trip before the customer has actually arrived. After all, this is India and drivers will do anything to make an extra buck.

- To control fake bookings?

Of course, it also solves the problem of getting into the wrong cab.

If I book an Ola Hire (long-duration rental with multiple stops), I appreciate how Ola requires an OTP to end the trip. This ensures that the Ola driver cannot end my rental trip without my permission. I've always had problems with Uber Hire.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 10:58   #4
BHPian

I welcome this feature. Last year, while returning from my class, me and my friend stepped into an Ola Xcent with a similar registration number instead of the Uber we booked. The Ola's OTP feature saved us a lot of trouble.
Old 20th January 2020, 13:01   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think the real benefits of the OTP requirement are:
Here's yet another one.

At the domestic airport, there is an "Ola area" conveniently located at the pickup point. The nearest Uber XL was 14 minutes away. I booked an MPV on Ola and it gave me instant confirmation with the OTP (but no car number).

Just walk up to any of the waiting Ola cabs and give the driver your OTP. That cab is yours.
Old 20th January 2020, 23:36   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
... it gave me instant confirmation with the OTP (but no car number).

Just walk up to any of the waiting Ola cabs and give the driver your OTP. That cab is yours.
That's how it works at Bangalore Airport for Uber too (there are separate Ola and Uber zones outside the terminal).

Book required category on app > get OTP > share OTP with next available car of selected category in the pickup zone > good to go.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th January 2020 at 23:37.
Old 21st January 2020, 09:53   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Here's yet another one.

At the domestic airport, there is an "Ola area" conveniently located at the pickup point. The nearest Uber XL was 14 minutes away. I booked an MPV on Ola and it gave me instant confirmation with the OTP (but no car number).

This has been there in Bangalore for more than a year now. Everytime I keep wondering what is stopping them for implementing this in T2 Mumbai airport.

It is always a mess. The driver shows 4mins away but has to take a loop, many times passengers book early and driver is blocking the pickup point if he has arrived. Else usually it is a 10-15mins wait for your cab and you need to keep looking out for your cab number.

T2 Mumbai needs this desperately for Uber but they still haven't got it.

Bangalore is a breeze, there's queues for each Uber category and you just get into any cab when you are next in queue, the cab driver cannot refuse and you just give him OTP to start the trip.

Few times cab drivers are not happy at your destination and try to ask the next passenger in queue. The Uber assistants there don't allow it and enforce them to take the passenger.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks