Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2020, 22:28   #1
BANNED

Uber India may become a billboard for ads

To start its own advertising line, Uber India’s board met on January 29 in Noida and passed a resolution to the same effect.
Quote:
Bengaluru: Uber India aims to start its own advertising and branding wing, so that it can better monetize users and show them ads. Uber’s move parallels that of e-tailers Amazon and Flipkart, which have started monetizing their web traffic through digital advertising.

To start its own advertising line, Uber India’s board met on January 29 in Noida and passed a resolution to the same effect. Uber India said in filings, sourced by Paper.vc, that it intends to have an omni-channel approach and advertise through electronic display boards in cabs, the internet, television and other means.

“Currently advertising opportunities are being offered only on cars,’’ said an Uber spokesperson. “Uber India is set to become yet another marketplace for media buying and selling as the ride-hailing company opens itself and its collaterals up to advertising. The Uber app and other digital properties owned by Uber could be monetized for marketing activities, since the brand has a significant digital footprint,” said Paper.vc analyst Nikhil Kanekal.
If Ola offers ad-free rides, then I will prefer Ola to Uber even at a slight premium.

Source: ET Auto
wheelguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 23:18   #2
BHPian

Re: Uber India may become a billboard for ads

I think it's a good idea. I have always felt the boring BMTC buses should have long done something along those lines and used the drab body of the buses to adorn with digital or non-digital adverts to monetize and improve their revenues.

Similarly for the railways. Most trains in the country are a depressing sight to behold. May as well add some color/life and in the process generate more revenues - to eventually come back to the system and improve the system!
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 09:10   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Uber India may become a billboard for ads

A lot of cabs up north already carry advertisements. But that revenue would go to the driver. Looks like Uber wants a piece of the pie.

I doubt RTO permits it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
I think it's a good idea. I have always felt the boring BMTC buses should have long done something along those lines
They did, during Ashoka's reign almost a decade ago. But the law prohibits advertisements on the buses. The matter was urgently handled especially after the Nirbhaya case.

Quote:
Regional Transport Authority officials never had it so tough. While they have managed to stop all private and government vehicles from displaying advertisements, they've found the Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) a tough nut to crack. They're armed with an Act of law, a high court ruling and a Road Safety Authority (RSA) decision which prohibits display of ads on vehicles as these could distract other drivers.
http://praja.in/en/blog/murali772/20...ries-unmindful

Then, citizens protested too.

http://bengaluru.citizenmatters.in/2...overnment-2375

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/64364505.cms
Old 15th February 2020, 09:45   #4
BHPian

As long as these aren't in your face type ads playing at full volume over the Car audio, they should be tolerable.
Took a spicejet flight early this morning and they were playing loud ads over the PA system
Should these be even allowed over the PA system in a flight?!
Broke the slumber of many a flyer.
anantpoddar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks