MapQuest 0 0%
Whatever my car comes with (OEM) 6 1.15%
Other 4 0.76%
Voters: 524. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2021, 16:27   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Google Maps vs other navigation services

I prefer Google maps until India launches it's own navigation software.

Here are my few cents on Google maps:-

1) We should be thankful that we are offered this service for free. Something is better than nothing.
2) Nothing is 100% perfect or full proof. Google has its flaws, but at least we are provided with the service from a foreign country. India has made significant progress in the last decade, however I am yet to see an Indian navigational app.
3) Google maps can be used online and offline. Online mode uses internet and GPS. Offline mode uses GPS only, so your phone should be a good one to use the maps accurately.
4) Many complain that Google lands them into the wrong place etc. I do understand and agree with this, but the user is also to blame. Before venturing out blindly, we must study the route virtually, by using various methods like satellite mode etc. On many occasions, Google takes the route through a village or local market, which may be very narrow. In that case we must study the route beforehand and add a stop on the bold line which routes around the village, thus taking the user on a wider and better route. Have done this many times.
5) Google live is a good feature to track your loved ones, ladies traveling alone etc., although many may argue about security issues. However safety supercedes security.
6) Satellite mode gives you a good picture of the area.
7) There are many errors on the maps for location of various places, however you can't get everything as mentioned above.
8) Many a times you are shown the wrong location because of poor internet connectivity and/or low GPS signal. So Google may not be always to blame, it is your phone also that counts.
9) Continous use of such applications makes us dependent and we lose a sense of direction and do not remember roads. This is true but human minds may not be able to fully overpower the technology. Hence in today's world we have to live and move with the time, or we will be left behind.
10) Old school people prefer asking the local paanwalla about the route. Yes this should be done, however we should not forget that Google maps may have brought us to the paanwalla.
11) Google maps may be a life saver for some, who may be totally lost in the wild.
12) Many argue that the nation's security is compromised as enemy nations and terrorists can see places virtually etc. However please note that such people have access to better technology and use that to their advantage.
13) Security is always compromised but that's with all apps like Facebook, Whatsapp etc. Now the cell phone and associated apps are part of our lives and we can't live / work without it.

So let's enjoy what we are getting for free.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 10:19   #62
BHPian

When in the middle of a route i.e., between 2 turns ( 2 navigation events) is there a way to get Google Maps to say

"Yep, you are on the right track/path. Keep going." ?

Because often times especially in the middle of crowded cities that I'm new to I need constant reassurances and guarantees that I'm on the right track and for some reason the angel in my phone stays silent and makes me sweat...
barefeetdriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 12:15   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefeetdriver View Post
When in the middle of a route i.e., between 2 turns ( 2 navigation events) is there a way to get Google Maps to say

"Yep, you are on the right track/path. Keep going." ?
I have always wanted this feature, even wrote to Google, but I guess it is not a global problem.

The problem is that these apps are designed by teams in the developed world and they are either released as is or customized slightly for India. I doubt they will make any changes to help with confusing and closely spaced roads and other landmarks. I'm guessing the India team does not have enough resources.

Google maps also has a strange tendency to change from "turn right" to "take the north bound... " (or something similar).

It's a pity we don't support open source map applications and hardly anyone contributes data to such efforts. We have a tendency to tie ourselves to proprietary and ultimately expensive solutions (e.g. M$ Office, Windows...).
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 12:29   #64
BHPian

Voted for Google Maps. No other provider has been able to crack the ease-of-use model that GMaps offers. Have observed a lot of OEM maps across various cars, but none that can match up to Google unfortunately. It's a big big big boon that Google Maps has remained a free service, unlike some others which levy usage fees. Don't have much to complain about GMaps really, except maybe a couple of instances when the map directed me through some really obscure and inconvenient patches en route a destination. With the advent of Android Auto, it's become much easier to just plug-n-play instead of depending on the OEM service.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 13:08   #65
BHPian

Quote:
I have always wanted this feature, even wrote to Google, but I guess it is not a global problem.
Even a speaker shaped button that when tapped says, "Keep going" would do. Thanks for writing to the overlords btw. I will do the same.

Quote:
Google maps also has a strange tendency to change from "turn right" to "take the north bound... " (or something similar).
Which is pretty similar to "Take the first exit" instead of "Take the left" at a roundabout. Theoretically correct but confusing in traffic snarl.

Again these are just peeves and we all obviously Google Maps.

Quote:
It's a pity we don't support open source map applications and hardly anyone contributes data to such efforts. We have a tendency to tie ourselves to proprietary and ultimately expensive solutions (e.g. M$ Office, Windows...).
Yep...
barefeetdriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 11:40   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
*SNIP*

It's a pity we don't support open source map applications and hardly anyone contributes data to such efforts. *SNIP*
Have you looked at OpenStreets Map? You may notice that (like for most apps/new ideas etc.), Bangalore (and other Karnataka)-based people have been keen adopters and have contributed terrific amounts of information and edits. Unfortunately that means that Bangalore (and some KA) are the only ones with such detail there.

Even Waze (which still use Google's maps) seems to have maximum adoption in Bangalore, though even that is meagre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefeetdriver View Post
*SNIP*

Which is pretty similar to "Take the first exit" instead of "Take the left" at a roundabout. Theoretically correct but confusing in traffic snarl.*SNIP*
Actually when it comes to roundabouts (or roundtana as we say in Tamil Nadu) the exit number is a much more useful method rather than directional instructions.

Not all roundabouts have four exits branching off them. What would you have the navigation app do where a roundabout has eight or seven exits (as happens quite a bit in, say, Bangalore)? Which Left? Or which right? Sometimes even "Straight" will be confusing because you have two options, one at 11 O'clock and one at 1 O'clock.

Hell, near my house in Madras, there is a big roundtana with 6 exits - one approaching the roundtana, one going Left, one going Right, and three going straight up, absolutely parallel to the road you entered from, like a trident/trisoolam. So, if you had to go "straight" which one would you take? Or if you had to take the Right-most tine of the trisoolam, what would you have the maps app say?

In such cases, "take the third exit" is much clearer and unamabiguous.

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 2nd August 2021 at 11:48.
tilt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:05   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Even Waze (which still use Google's maps) ...
I do not think that is true. Although Waze is acquired by Google, they have their own basemap which is different from Google Maps. In fact, after this acquisition, Google uses a lot of data from Waze on their own maps, but fundamentally, the basemaps remain different in both the applications.

Google Maps and Waze had different basemaps created for different purposes, and designed in fundamentally different ways, and to date, they remain different even after the acquisition. It is possible that going forward Google will merge the two by taking the best features of Waze into their own Maps application. But that is something we will only know in future, if that happens.

Here is one good answer on Quora that explains how Waze basemap is fundamentally different from Google basemap: https://www.quora.com/How-is-Waze-di...om-Google-Maps.

Another relevant Quora thread which answers this question is: https://www.quora.com/What-maps-does-Waze-use

Last edited by Dr.AD : 2nd August 2021 at 12:09.
Dr.AD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 13:37   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post

Actually when it comes to roundabouts (or roundtana as we say in Tamil Nadu) the exit number is a much more useful method rather than directional instructions.

Hell, near my house in Madras, there is a big roundtana with 6 exits - one approaching the roundtana, one going Left, one going Right, and three going straight up, absolutely parallel to the road you entered from, like a trident/trisoolam. So, if you had to go "straight" which one would you take? Or if you had to take the Right-most tine of the trisoolam, what would you have the maps app say?

In such cases, "take the third exit" is much clearer and unamabiguous.

Cheers
Could not have been clearer, especially with the trident example. Thanks for that. I too find 'first exit' or 'second exit' useful, though initially it takes time to get used that terminology. In most cases, 'second exit' results in going straight.

By the way, 'roundtana' is Tamil? In most places, junction is referred to as a chowk, but in Orissa it is 'Chokko' and I think it is 'Naka' in Mumbai.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:49   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
*SNIP*

By the way, 'roundtana' is Tamil? In most places, junction is referred to as a chowk, but in Orissa it is 'Chokko' and I think it is 'Naka' in Mumbai.
"Roundtana" is a Tamil corruption of "round-turner" I think - it sounds logical. And yes, it is Tamil

And it does not refer to a junction, it specifically refers to the actual roundabout (the physical structure) present in some junctions.

I do not know if the words on the other languages you mention refer to the physical structure or just about any junction.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 20:58   #70
Senior - BHPian

I was introduced to Google Maps by a friend around 8-9 years back. Before that, the most preferred option was trying to include someone in the trip who knows the required route. Next was to keep seeknig directions from locals as we drive, but it often meant more time and distance covered. Google Maps made navigating easy even when driving alone.

But it has put me in extremely tough situations on a handful of occasions. It was not due to wrong configuration like navigating for bike while driving a car, choosing the option to avoid tolls etc.
1. It has suggested to drive in the wrong direction of a one-way road on at lest three occasions.
2. It suggested a route which led to a stream on two different occasions.
3. Many times it suggested a route through very narrow roads, local market etc to save a few hundred metres distance or a few minutes of time. Such roads are usually single lane or kuchcha roads or will have heavy movement of people. Once we enter such roads, reversing our way back to the main road will be almost impossible.

Lessons learnt:
1. Study the suggested route thoroughly before starting the drive. Try to find whether there are any detours from a main road to join the same road or another major road nearby. If so make a note to see whether the detour can be avoided.
2. When driving, if I feel uncomfortable about the route, or the road ahead becomes narrower or is a kuchcha road, pull over and ask the local people for directions. Aborting the suggested route at such a stage will save more time than continuing with it.
adisan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 08:52   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
...pull over and ask the local people for directions.
This. Thanks for posting this. In a country like ours where you will find people almost anywhere, just stop and ask! Or ask when you stop for meals, chai. Any navigation device is good and certainly useful, but also just stop and ask someone- you'll get the latest info, get to speak to someone from the place and make your trip so much more interesting. Normally I dislike and avoid chit-chat, especially in the office or at social gatherings, but the one exception is when I'm on long bike trips. I stop and ask for directions any chance I get. Always helpful people and always some additional great conversation! Don't get stuck with your heads down looking at maps or try and plan and plot every km of the route beforehand, the journey is part of the fun!

Last edited by am1m : 29th October 2021 at 08:53.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 16:23   #72
Senior - BHPian

Voted Apple Maps.

I've used Google Maps and I still have it as a back up. When I switched to the iPhone I wanted to give Apple Maps a go and see what it's like. To be honest, it's a lot more intelligent than Google Maps from my own personal use case.

What I like:
If I use Apple Maps to navigate to a destination, after reaching that place and if I choose to return the same route, the map won't show a micro view of the route; instead, it shows a zoomed out view with a marked line to my house. This may not seem like a big deal until you realise the savings you make on your data. If I did deviate on my return route, the map instantly switches to micro view showing me exactly where I am.

While enroute to a destination, I can quickly search and navigate to a waypoint (like restaurant, fuel station) without losing the original destination. Once I reach the waypoint, the map intelligently switches to my original destination. I think this is available on G Maps but on Apple Maps this is way more intuitive.

Also the map doesn't load place names enroute unless absolutely essential again saving data.

The best feature for me is the automatic marking of my parked car on the map; this is really useful in finding my car in unfamiliar cities.
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 05:06   #73
BHPian

Voted for Waze, because here in Europe found Waze to provide much better navigation and more importantly notifies you if you have crossed the allowed speed limit (fairly accurate). Google maps does not have this feature yet.
Old 16th November 2021, 05:43   #74
Team-BHP Support

I am a Google Maps fan, and would have voted for it unanimously if not for discovering the joys of Waze. Thanks to the Apple CarPlay enabled HU on my car, the interactive nature of Waze strongly appeals to me. I find the following features really useful:
  • Speedo shown on the app, which also turns red when over the limit
  • Calls out when police or speed cams are reported in the area. Very useful when there is almost 0 tolerance for the same on roads here.
  • Ability to report hazards including breakdowns or potholes.
  • Animation which allows to select type of vehicle, which also switches to a view similar to PcMan which eats up the road when moving.
Old 16th November 2021, 08:20   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Calls out when police or speed cams are reported in the area. Very useful when there is almost 0 tolerance for the same on roads here.
How do you resist the temptation of giving feedback about police or road hazards every time its displayed on the head unit? The timer for feedback makes me restless and found it very very distracting, for the same reason I have completely stopped using Waze. Other than this as you said its one of the best navigation apps out there.

Last edited by nandrive : 16th November 2021 at 08:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks