Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2020, 12:46   #1
BHPian

FASTAG with sunfilm on the front windshield

Desperately looking for a solution to fix FASTAG on my Innova's windshield which has VKOOL sunfilm.

My Innova 2011 model has VKOOL film on the front windshield. When I removed the Sunfilm from the car's windows, I left it on the windshield because it really made a difference in reducing heat when driving into the Sun on highways. Moreover, it had a very light tint and cops never looked at it. Over the years, I forgot that this film was fixed.

Two years ago, I bought a FASTAG from ICICI Bank and fixed it in the middle of the windshield, just behind the rear view mirror - obviously, I ended up fixing it over the Sunfilm, without realising it.

To my consternation, I found that nine out of ten times, my FASTAG would not be read and I ended up backing out of the FASTAG lane and going into the cash lane. Instead of speeding up, the FASTAG inevitably slowed me down at toll booths. I got so fed up that I stopped going into the FASTAG lane and always paid cash. I thought my FASTAG was faulty perhaps because I bought one before the technology stabilised.

Now, with FASTAG becoming mandatory and the queues at Cash Lanes getting longer in almost all toll booths, I decided to get my FASTAG replaced. After two months of follow up and multiple calls to ICICI FASTAG helpline, I finally got a replacement tag and my balance was transferred to the new tag.

Before removing my old tag and fixing the new one, I thought may be I fixed my old FASTAG in a wrong location so started looking up the Team-BHP forum for any advice on where to fix the TAG for best readability.

I happened to read a post where a member said that his friend has been having a problem getting his FASTAG read after he fixed it over the VKOOL film, because it is a metallic film that interferes with RFID signals. I then realised that my be my old FASTAG was OK, and it is not being read because I fixed it behind the VKOOL film without realising it.

I am in a dilemma - I travel regularly on highways and need a working FASTAG. At the same time, I do not want to remove the VKOOL film from my windscreen.

I am not sure I can stick the FASTAG on the outer surface of the windshield - it might read then, but it might get damaged by rain or the wiper. One solution is to peel off a portion of the sunfilm and stick the FASTAG in that area. I am worried that cutting the sunfilm in the middle of the windshield may result in the film starting to peel off. Removing the sunfilm in a small area to the left corner of the windshield may be a better solution, but then will the FASTAG read if it is fixed in a corner of the windshield and not in the centre? Thankful for any suggestions from members on how best to go about making my FASTAG work.
Old 16th March 2020, 13:13   #2
BHPian

re: FASTAG with sunfilm on the front windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartakavi View Post
Desperately looking for a solution to fix FASTAG on my Innova's windshield which has VKOOL sunfilm.

When I read your post, I thought I was reliving my Fastag experience. Only characters changed are Garware Metallic film and XUV 500
I did cut the film near the drivers corner at the top and paste the Fastag. It does work. I however could not get a replacement tag even after 2 months,hence ordered the new one from Amazon. I then cancelled my ICICI tag and got refund of deposit and tag balance in 10 days.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th March 2020 at 14:10. Reason: Please do not quote full-length posts when responding. It hinders mobile user experience.
inder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 01:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: FASTAG with sunfilm on the front windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartakavi View Post
..will the FASTAG read if it is fixed in a corner of the windshield and not in the centre?
Remove a small area of the film and fix the tag. If you're not confident, get the film cut by an experienced installer.

Position of the tag is not an issue. Mine is fixed near the left corner and works absolutely fine.
Old 18th March 2020, 07:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have 3M CR70 on the windshield. I pasted the ICICI fastag on to a clear plastic sheet and then stuck the plastic to the windshield using cellophane tape. The position is behind IRVM. No sunfilm was cut. There was no problem reading the fastag anywhere. Does brand of sunfilm affects the reading? I am not sure.

Last edited by msdivy : 18th March 2020 at 07:19.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 23:02   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I have 3M CR70 on the windshield. I pasted the ICICI fastag on to a clear plastic sheet and then stuck the plastic to the windshield using cellophane tape. The position is behind IRVM. No sunfilm was cut. There was no problem reading the fastag anywhere. Does brand of sunfilm affects the reading? I am not sure.
I bought this after reading your comment and it works like a charm.
https://www.amazon.in/Parikshit-Subl...ing:
PRND1.5L is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks