Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2020, 11:18   #61
BHPian

Re: Future of road-trips, post lockdown

Hello Bhpians

We(Me and my dad) want to travel to Puri Temple, Orrisa by Car this week where a my mom prefers to travel via Train as the distance from Vizag to Puri is around 430KM. She says the to and fro journey eats up most of the time, as we have three days in total. But it seems that trains won't be starting anytime soon, I don't want to travel via Train too. What do you guys say?

And can you guys help me with the places that are a must visit on that route, the famous food and all. But most importantly how's the situation there? Is it safe to travel to Orrisa now as there's a Covid situation going on. Drop all of your suggestions, I'll consider them all

I'm a new member, please ignore if there are any mistakes. Thanks

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th September 2020 at 11:23. Reason: Formatting and editing for readability
Old 28th September 2020, 11:42   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatautoguy46 View Post
Is it safe to travel to Orrisa now as there's a Covid situation going on.
I'm not a doctor so what I'm going to say is just my opinion formed by reading things doctors have posted.

From what I can gather, the activities that carry the highest risk of contracting covid are roughly the same as in the case of any other respiratory disease. So more than any particular state or city being a high-risk, it seems to me that the activities you are planning on undertaking there need to be assessed for risk.

From what I read (and it seems to make sense) what we really need to avoid above all are long periods in indoor public spaces and crowds.

So I think that makes train travel a higher risk than going by car. But again, if you travel by car and at your destination visit a temple that in all probability will be crowded with people who may not be wearing masks and may not be social distancing, that is a higher risk activity.

(Just my opinion.)

Last edited by am1m : 28th September 2020 at 11:44.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 15:33   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Bhpians

We(Me and my dad) want to travel to Puri Temple, Orrisa by Car this week where a my mom prefers to travel via Train as the distance from Vizag to Puri is around 430KM. She says the to and fro journey eats up most of the time, as we have three days in total. But it seems that trains won't be starting anytime soon, I don't want to travel via Train too. What do you guys say?

And can you guys help me with the places that are a must visit on that route, the famous food and all. But most importantly how's the situation there? Is it safe to travel to Orrisa now as there's a Covid situation going on. Drop all of your suggestions, I'll consider them all

I'm a new member, please ignore if there are any mistakes. Thanks
I am from Odisha. Settled in HYD for last few years and do HYD-BBSR in about 16-17 hours regularly. I did it as recently as a day before the India wide lockdown as my father was alone at HYD and we had travelled to BBSR for some personal work. Vizag to Puri should be a breeze.

We as a family take a lot of road trips through out India - at least 4 big ones and multiple short ones in a year. Since Mar 23 2020 we have not gone out of our house except for essentials and few short drives with family covering less than 100 kms. For short drives we don't even get out of the car and take eatables and enough water.

Puri would be the last place I would visit during the pandemic. Its like an hour drive from my place in BSSR. God can wait. We will all one day become a part of the God. Till that time I would want to be alive and be with my family for as long as possible

Not worth the risk mate! Any travel is not worth in the current situation unless it is critical. Don't think going to a temple can ever be in the critical list.

Each of us will have different priorities but still don't think bravery is one during this pandemic. Assuming you can drive your parents should be 50+ at the least. No point risking this trip. God forbid anyone falls sick you wont be able to do much in an unknown place.
nibedk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 15:57   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
I am from Odisha.

Puri would be the last place I would visit during the pandemic. Its like an hour drive from my place in BSSR. God can wait. We will all one day become a part of the God. Till that time I would want to be alive and be with my family for as long as possible

. My mom wants to visit Puri Temple. As my dad is getting three days holiday in a row we want to use this opportunity. And we were so bored being in home for months. So thinking of that. Apart from Puri, what are the other must visit places? Help me with them.

Each of us will have different priorities but still don't think bravery is one during this pandemic. Assuming you can drive your parents should be 50+ at the least. No point risking this trip. God forbid anyone falls sick you wont be able to do much in an unknown place.
My dad just turned 50, my dad and I are a lot interested in road trips. I had driven 265 Kilometers in 6 ½ hours in our 11' Santro. Considering the pandemic situation, I guess the traffic should be less and easier to travel. That's why I'm thinking of it. If there are enough place to admire on the way, we will surely go ahead with it
Old 28th September 2020, 17:31   #65
BHPian

Quote:
My dad just turned 50, my dad and I are a lot interested in road trips. I had driven 265 Kilometers in 6 ½ hours in our 11' Santro. Considering the pandemic situation, I guess the traffic should be less and easier to travel. That's why I'm thinking of it. If there are enough place to admire on the way, we will surely go ahead with it
Choice is your mate! Is it worth risking life for a leisure trip and that too to a place where there will be a lot of unruly crowd mostly not following any social distancing.

Things are completely back to normal. Do not expect it to be any different from before lockdown period.
nibedk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 20:03   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Situation would be the same everywhere I would think. Irrespective of the Covid numbers, there would be people who would be going about without any precautions whatsoever. I feel it would be more important to think about how you're going to implement all precautionary measures from your end. Where would you be stopping for breaks, where would you be staying and how would you ensure social distancing and sanitization from your end.

I would say stick to open spaces like Puri beach, Gopalpur beach and Chilika lake and avoid crowded places like temples.

Famous authentic Odia food would be chhenaapodo, chhenaa jhili, rosogolla, chudaa-ghasaa & dalma all available in and around Puri. Then there's delicious seafood near Chilika lake.

Good luck for the trip!
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 20:21   #67
BHPian

I have been fortunate enough to be part of a profession that allowed me to travel freely across the country in the peak of the lockdown.

While driving to Solapur from Belgaum in my gypsy, I did the following.
1. Carried several litres of drinking water. Kept myself hydrated.
2. Carried food from home.
3. Packed a blanket and a sheet just in case I had to sleep in the vehicle.
4. No stops on the way except for attending nature's call.
5. Periodic breaks for sipping a cup of coffee and enjoying the scenery.
6. Did not stop for people asking for lifts.
7. Carried a first aid kit with medicines for all types of sickness.
8. Sanitised my hands and the steering wheel each time i got off.
9. Ensured that I had my mask on at all fuel pumps. The chaps filling the pumps do not feel like wearing masks and can be the spreaders themselves.

The biggest mistake I felt I did was to follow Google maps on the way back. Google has the knack of taking you through the worst of roads on the pretext of saving time. While exiting out of Solapur towards Bijapur, Google maps took me via some interior village roads which some parts of which were non existent. I was in for a surprise when I suddenly came to a fast flowing stream with a broken looking bridge. Part of the bridge had sunk in and i was not aware of the depth of the water. The stream was fast enough to take an adult with it. I could not turn back so decided to move forward. The gypsy managed the bridge well and i reached the other side to find a steep incline covered with muck. Thankfully the 4wd came to good use and i was able to cross the incline while the Gypsy lost traction a few times.

I somehow reached the highway and then ignored the maps. Continued on NH54 and followed the NHAI boards wherever possible.

My experience on the Guwahati to Kokrajhar stretch was much better. Fuel pump guys choose not to wear masks I guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks