Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2020, 22:50   #1
BHPian

How to keep stray dogs away from my car's roof

Hi everyone! I am facing a situation and I hope you guys might come up with a solution.

I live near Punjabi Bagh, West Delhi and my neighbours are very dog friendly who religiously feed the stray dogs twice a day at least. Henceforth, they are always around my home. 3 out of 4 of my cars are parked outside which are their usual victims. The Amaze and the Duster have a permanent dent on the roof of the size of a crater because of their habit of sitting on them, while the Grand i10 has graze marks all over its panels, not to mention none of them have their antennas remaining.

Till the time my neighbours don’t marry their dog loving daughter, these canines will continue to prey on our cars. We have tried everything from spraying Sodium Hypochlorite solution or a domestic phenyl, to spraying a whole can of Mortein onto the cars. Every night I go to my balcony and throw small stones at them or sometimes dad hits them with a broom or a stick, but nothing has made them give up. Very passionate about sitting on the roofs. Lol.

I even played those inaudible frequency dog repellent audio clips on YouTube, which obviously was in vain.
I have tried parking in such a way that it’s impossible to climb, but these buggers just won’t give up.

I’m left with an option of adding a small security buzzer onto my cars. In any case, I wouldn’t want to upgrade the security system majorly which might require me to change the whole remote key. Maybe some alarm that can be activated with a small button inside or has a small key of its own?

Apart from that, the Amaze is still under warranty so no electrical business for it.

So how do I go about it? I’m really out of ideas now.
dr.aviansh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 23:07   #2
BHPian

re: How to keep stray dogs away from my car's roof

Haha. One solution till that daughter is still around -

Get a Bigger, Badder, Meaner dog - Pit Bull / Rottweiler / Shepherd.
Miyata is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 23:11   #3
BHPian

I don't even know where to start. Throwing stones and hitting with brooms daily? Please don't escalate towards harming further.

Have a word with your neighbours and ask for their help in finding a suitable solution.
digitalnirvana is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 23:20   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.aviansh View Post
None of your solutions are healthy or effective for the cars, dogs, or the situation.
1. Spraying an abrasive product like phenyl on your paint isn't the brightest idea.
2. Violence against the dogs are going to make them and your neighbors hostile towards you.
3. The easiest solution would be on the lines of asking your neighbors to feed them far away from your cars, or, making a dedicated sleeping area for them. Something like a cooler/ fan installation or a wet mudded area would be preferred by them over the roofs of your cars.
4. Park your cars inside/ buy cheap plastic sheets to put at night.

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd June 2020 at 09:19. Reason: Quoted post deleted.
rayjaycleoful is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 23:29   #5
BHPian

One of my friend was facing the same issue, dogs used to love the roof of his beloved Grand i10. Finally what he did is raise the wiper blades of the car & it worked
karan0009 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 00:04   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The girl in the house opposite ours has 2 dogs. Add to that at least 2 more that she feeds, which invariably stay close to hers and hence our gate. While they thankfully haven’t gotten into the habit of climbing on cars, the ruckus these canines create gets very annoying. Loud barking all through the night disturbs everyone. Plus, the dogs poo on the roadside, if not mine then near someone else’s gate. It becomes that person’s job to clean up. We have to get dog poo cleaned from in front of our gate every other day. There is another such nut job at the other end of the lane who at one time had 7 dogs. They have been abandoned by the family who moved abroad after the death of the owner. 5 survive and they live in and patrol the area outside that house. Sheer nuisance created by irresponsible owners.

All these dogs are highly territorial and often get into fights with each other or with strays from neighbouring streets. They chase delivery people and maids going from house to house. Our househelp’s 5 year old was bit a few months back. Taking an evening walk inside the colony gets difficult, and many people do so carrying sticks.

I understand that calling the municipality guys is sentencing the dogs to death. If anyone has solutions for managing this problem, please share.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 22nd June 2020 at 00:27.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 00:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3 out of 4 of my cars are parked outside which are their usual victims.
Your issue isn't dogs. It's (no of cars)>(no of parking spaces). Solution - reduce the number of cars. A lot of us pick houses based on parking spaces.

Quote:
Till the time my neighbours don’t marry their dog loving daughter, these canines will continue to prey on our cars.
But if she gets married to the neighbours she'll continue to live there, no? It must be terribly inconvenient to have her spinsterhood wreak havoc on your automotive life.

Quote:
Every night I go to my balcony and throw small stones at them
You must have very good aim. I can't find the dustbin from my bed, and that's only a distance of a few feet. Do you find small unexplained dents on your car in the morning?

Quote:
I even played those inaudible frequency dog repellent audio clips on YouTube, which obviously was in vain.
Maybe you need louder speakers. I assume you're playing the audio clips from your stone-throwing vantage point. For that distance, you'll need speakers like you see in nightclubs. The ICE sub-forums should have what you need.

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd June 2020 at 09:21. Reason: Quoted post deleted.
v1p3r is online now   (45) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 01:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone! I am facing a situation and I hope you guys might come up with a solution.

Like your sense of humour. An easy inexpensive solution may be to try giving these dogs an alternative resting place. In my experience dogs love sleeping on a pile of sand/fine gravel. So, try making a mound of sand in one of the corners and ask the neighbour to try and feed them near that. Also as suggested by one of the other readers, put your wipers up. That also helps making it tougher for them to climb onto the roof. Hope it works. All the best.
Lalvaz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 01:30   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Something like a cooler/ fan installation or a wet mudded area would be preferred by them over the roofs of your cars.
4. Park your cars inside/ buy cheap plastic sheets to put at night.
Thank you I might consider this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Our househelp’s 5 year old was bit a few months back. Taking an evening walk inside the colony gets difficult, and many people do so carrying sticks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post

parking 3 cars out on the road when you have space for only one is laughable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
A lot of us pick houses based on parking spaces.
Yes Shreyans. Having worked in a government hospital for a couple of years, I remember seeing atleast 5-10 patients with dog bites daily. Some patients are not educated enough to understand the rabies vaccine course and do not comply to the schedule. I really hope that kid is okay.

Oh I’m sure everyone like Octane and V1p3r picks houses according to the parking space but not according to the parking space needed say 30 years later? Because we did the same when our house was built back in 1988 when we owned just a Maruti 800.

Also, I didn’t correctly mention that the sticks and brooms are meant just to scare them off by POKING them and not to injure them physically. So, yes my aim with THROWING the stones is pretty good if it’s intended NOT to hit them.

Being a doctor I don’t advocate hitting them, which is why I asked for alternative solutions like a buzzer which went forgotten about.

Tried the wiper method long ago.

Last edited by dr.aviansh : 22nd June 2020 at 01:58. Reason: Punctuation
dr.aviansh is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 03:05   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Oh I’m sure everyone like Octane and V1p3r picks houses according to the parking space but not according to the parking space needed say 30 years later? Because we did the same when our house was built back in 1988 when we owned just a Maruti 800.
Really Aviansh. The first post talks about 'hitting' dogs with sticks/broom and throwing stones 'at' the dogs, spraying mortein (what if even one of those strays licked the car surface? ) on the car and what not..pretty easy for the reader to forget other alternatives when one reads stuff like that with the potential of maiming/killing those poor strays.

Also nothing wrong with the number of cars gradually increasing over 30 years as you say. But to be taking it out on strays, think of the cars becoming an encroachment on their spaces too.

In any case, the 3 extra cars didn't come overnight did they? You must have gradually planned on these additions. Sorry to point out the obvious but the parking should have been planned too, maybe after the first car that you parked on the road (either by renting out parking or in any case with holding the purchase till you arranged for parking on rent) since the strays bother you to that extent.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd June 2020 at 07:21. Reason: Compacted quoted post
octane1002 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 06:43   #11
BHPian

Copy pasting something I found online:

“Order online a cheap motion detector with buzzer, 1/2 an inch solenoid valve or a water purifier soldenoid valve (electromagnetic water valve).
Interface them both, my usual method is get the LED light out or Buzzer out to drive a 12v relay through an SL100 NPN transistor, have a 12v common power supply so that you need only one adapter, all should cost less than a 1K unless you need it to work even during a power cut :-)
In that case you need to spend some more for a 12v 4.5AH battery backup system what you get off the shelf meant for CCTV, if you have a UPS at home that should take care without any need for a dedicated backup.

On the sprayer part, a cheap plastic spray gun with flexible pipe connected to the solenoid valve hooked to a tap nearby or somewhere in series to the pipe.”

You could also set up a cardboard contraption, something like this:

Name:  947946A2AB20440597F87B95C7077A71.png
Views: 9319
Size:  249.3 KB
TheHelix0202 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 06:49   #12
BHPian

Please check if the dogs are spayed/neutered (ear will be clipped with a 'V' notch). If not please see that they are by involving your young neighbour and contacting your local neighbourhood canine group (I am sure you will have one). Hitting and scaring is never a good solution which just makes them more aggressive and territorial.
keroo1099 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 08:46   #13
BHPian

Take a Ply board the size of your car roof and hammer nails in them (spaced 2 inch x 2 inch) to protrude and 1-2 inch on the other side. Tie this on the roof of the parked cars. The dogs will not climb on to the roof and in a week or so will give up completely, whether the Ply is there or not.

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd June 2020 at 09:22. Reason: Removing unwanted bits from the post.
Amrik Singh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 08:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

1. Dogs or for that matter, any other animals living in urban areas, do not need human compassion to survive and thrive. Their survival and numbers are dependant on their own ability to adapt and natural selection at play. Even in non-urban areas, they do not need humans for anything, just that humans give them their space and nothing else.

2. Feral Dog packs are a nuisance nurtured further by human compassion.Same with Feral pigeons!

3. The inherent pack behaviour of canines means that feral dog packs can very quickly become deadly, towards other pets or kids, if they face any constraint.

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd June 2020 at 09:23. Reason: Removing unwanted bits from the post.
roy_libran is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 09:25   #15
Team-BHP Support

Mod note: Please be civil and keep the discussion healthy. Avoid suggesting cruel methods or procedures. If you have no better suggestions, stay away from the thread.
moralfibre is offline   (23) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks