Team-BHP - The underrated size & quality of upcoming expressways in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   The underrated size & quality of upcoming expressways in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/224371-underrated-size-quality-upcoming-expressways-india-5.html)

Updates on Surat - Chennai Expressway

1) https://twitter.com/cbdhage/status/1280970790834446339

#inprojectupdate Land acquisition started in Karnataka for Akkalkot-Kurnool Greenfield highway Project. part of Surat Chennai highway.

The underrated size & quality of upcoming expressways in India-ecbrbmnwoaaedy.jpg

2)https://twitter.com/cbdhage/status/1276965432411525123

#inprojectupdate
The alignment for Surat -Ahmednagar Greenfield corridor.
most probably it will intersect Samruddhi Mahamarg in Khambale village .Land Acquisition notice issued but as of no land acquired .

The underrated size & quality of upcoming expressways in India-ebiwqxsxsaa8xke-1.jpg

Attachment 2027892

As the saying goes 'Better Late Than Never'. What should have been accomplished at least a few decade back(thanks to some incompetent leadership and bureaucracy) is now coming to fruition. Hopefully by the next decade every major city connected to every other by such Expressways.

Thanks a whole lot, Arjun. That is some really refreshing and heart-warming set of information that you have put up. Just builds up a lot of optimism as to what sensational surfaces we BHPians can look forward to accelerate over in the near future.

Regarding the permissible speed limits: I will reserve my doubts till the time the highways are actually operational. There are many highway projects we have seen in the past where high speed limits are promised during their development and construction, thereby allowing the authorities to quote unbelievably short duration travel times and keep the public eagerly waiting in anticipation. But once the roads are opened, we end up seeing the same encircled number 80 everywhere on these dream stretches.
:Frustrati

We do, however, need to keep one thing in mind. The completion of these highways is in no ways going to take pot-holes out of the equation for us. Because by the time these new roads are ready to operate, we would begin to see that the other highways which have fantastic roads as on today would have deteriorated to great (pot-holed) depths by 2025. I like to think of this as Frozen's Law: The total no. of pot-holes in any territory remains constant. It can only get transferred from one highway to another.
:uncontrol

Adding some of the massive road tunnels recently opened/ under construction/ proposed in the Himalayas.:)

Of late some truly epic road tunnels have opened up in Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and Jammu. Some even bigger ones are under construction in Ladakh, Kashmir and Uttarakhand too. If we go by The length and width of these tunnels most of them are not Impressive. However taking the terrain and altitude into consideration, only then will we grasp the sheer engineering involved. Fun Fact – Some of these road tunnels will break multiple world records upon opening in the next 3 to 5 years.
I have only taking into consideration those tunnels that have opened recently or will certainty open in the next five years. Please do note there are even more spectacular rail tunnels although note adding them here. Waiting to do a drive on these spectacular routes soon!

1. Dr. Syama Prasad Mookerjee Tunnel
Dr. Syama Prasad Mookerjee Tunnel/ Chenani-Nashri Tunnel is a road tunnel in Jammu. It is located in the Lower Himalayas on National Highway 44. Construction started in 2011 and was completed by 2017. It is India's longest road tunnel and the country's first tunnel with a fully integrated tunnel control system. It reduces the distance between Jammu and Srinagar by 30 km and travel time by 2 hours. The all-weather tunnel bypasses snowfall and avalanche prone areas in winter at places like Patnitop, Kud, and Batote that obstruct NH 44 every winter and cause long traffic jams.

Completion – 2017
Length - 9.28 km (5.8 mi)
Cost - ₹3,720 crore

The underrated size & quality of upcoming expressways in India-chenaninashri_highway_tunnel_night.jpg

2. Atal Tunnel
Atal Tunnel/ Rohtang Tunnel is built under the Rohtang Pass in the eastern Pir Panjal range of the Himalayas on the Leh-Manali Highway in Himachal Pradesh. At a length of 9.02 km, it is the longest tunnel above 10,000 feet (3,048 m) in the world and named after former PM, Atal Bihari Vajpayee. With the Atal Tunnel and after completion of the under-construction Shingo La Tunnel, both the Leh-Manali Highway and the Nimmu–Padum–Darcha road routes will become all-weather roads.

Completion - October 2020
Length - 9.02 km (5.60 mi)
Cost - ₹3,200 crore

The underrated size & quality of upcoming expressways in India-1280pxpm_modi_in_atal_tunnel_2020.jpg

3. Banihal – Qazikund Tunnel
Banihal Qazigund Road Tunnel is a road tunnel at elevation of 1,790 m (5,870 ft) in the Pir Panjal range in the Indian union territory of Jammu and Kashmir connecting Banihal and Qazigund. The tunnel will reduce the distance between Srinagar and Jammu by 16 km. It is a double tube tunnel consisting of parallel tunnels - one for each direction of travel. Each tunnel is 7 m (23 ft) wide and has two lanes of road. The 2 tunnels are interconnected by a passage every 500 m (1,600 ft) for maintenance and emergency evacuation. The tunnel will have forced ventilation for extracting smoke and stale air and infusing fresh air. This Tunnel is almost ready, could be made operations in few weeks possibly Independence day.

Completion – June 2021
Length - 8.5 km (5.3 mi)
Cost – ₹2,100 cr

The underrated size & quality of upcoming expressways in India-banihal-tunnel.jpeg

Trial run

The underrated size & quality of upcoming expressways in India-bannihal.jpeg

4. Zoji La Tunnel
Zoji La Tunnel is a 14.2 km long road tunnel under the Zoji La pass between Sonmarg and Drass towns in Kargil district in Ladakh, currently under construction. The tunnel along with the Z-Morh Tunnel which is 22 km before Zoji La tunnel towards Srinagar will ensure year-long road connectivity between Srinagar and Kargil which currently remains closed for 7 months due to heavy snowfall on the Zoji La pass. Zoji La provides a vital link with Drass and Kargil in Ladakh but remains closed for 6-7 months (from November to May) during winter due to heavy snow fall & snow avalanches. It takes more than 3 hours to cross the pass but the tunnel will reduce the time. This tunnel was a strategic requirement of the army and the Ladakhi people as the pass is close to LOC and vulnerable to hostile actions.

Completion – 2024/25
Length – 14.2km (9 mi)
Cost - ₹6,800cr (might escalate upto 9,800cr)

The underrated size & quality of upcoming expressways in India-zoji.jpg

5. Z – Morh Tunnel
The Z-Morh Tunnel is an under-construction 6.5 km road tunnel near Gagangir in the Ganderbal District of Kashmir. It is named for the Z-shaped stretch of road between Sonamarg and Gagangir that the tunnel will replace. It has great strategic importance for India as it will provide reliable, year-long access to the disputed borders with Pakistan. The tunnel will increase social and economic development throughout the region and boost tourism in Sonamarg, which boasts attractions including the Thajiwas Glacier and activities such as whitewater rafting on the Sind River.

Bhpian @ruzbehxyz has a thread on this project
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post5087639

Completion – 2022
Length - 6.5km (4 mi)
Cost - ₹2,378 crore

Summer view of a portal
The underrated size & quality of upcoming expressways in India-22.jpeg

Winter view of a portal
The underrated size & quality of upcoming expressways in India-33.jpeg

6. Shinku La Tunnel
In August 2020 after the Issue with China, the government had approved a DPR for constructing a 13.5 km (8.4 mi) tunnel. National Highways & Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited has expedited the detailed project report (DPR) work on the Shinkun La Tunnel. However, a new shorter 4.25 km long alignment has been approved and tunnel is expected to be completed by 2024 instead of the 2027 completion of the original alignment. It is understood that the total cost of the BRO tunnel construction will be around ₹1,000 crore due to a simpler design and requirement of basic electromechanical fittings. The 4.25km tunnel will have longitudinal ventilation using banana fans, which require minimum electricity and operational costs.

Completion – 2024
Length – 4.25km (2.6 mi)
Cost - ₹1,050 crore

7. Chattergala Tunnel
Chattergala Tunnel is a proposed road tunnel in Jammu. The tunnel will connect Kathua and Doda districts of Jammu via basohli-bani through Chattergala. After completion of this tunnel, the travel time from Lakhanpur to Doda would be reduced to 4 hours.

Completion – 2025
Length – 6.8 km (4.25 mi)
Cost – ₹3,000cr

8. Vailoo La Tunnel
While initiating the blasting for Zojila Tunnel, Shri Nitin Gadkari said the DPRs of the Singpora-Vailoo tunnel on Kishtwar-Anantnag road have been prepared.

Completion – 2026/27
Length – 10.4 km (6.5 mi)
Cost – not yet ascertained

9. La Chung La
The 14.78 km tunnel under Lachung Pass. The last tunnel on the highway has been planned under the 16,666-ft Lachung Pass on the boundary of Himachal Pradesh and Kashmir. This Tunnel will be Located 25km from Sarchu.

Completion – 2026/27
Length – 14.78 km (9.25 mi)

10. Baralacha La Tunnel
The defence ministry has proposed a 13.2 km tunnel beneath the Baralacha Pass in the Zanskar range. At present, crossing it on the 470-km highway connecting Manali and Leh is a nightmare for travellers.

Completion – 2026/27
Length – 13.2 km (6.5 mi)

11. Tanglang La Tunnel
The tunnel planned under Tanglang La Pass.Not much has been revealed yet.

Completion – 2026/27
Length - 7.32km
Cost – Not yet ascertained

12. Pir ki gali Tunnel
In 2019, the National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited (NHIDCL) had hired a Spanish Consultancy firm along with an Indian private consultant company to prepare a DPR for the construction of a tunnel on Mughal road. Mughal road connects the districts of Poonch and Rajouri with the valley of Kashmir and reduces the distance between Shopian and Poonch from 588 km to 126 km. It is a historical route which was made functional for vehicular movement in 2009. It is about 84 km from Bufliaz (Poonch) to Hirpora (Shopian). This route is known for its lush meadows, gushing waterfalls, tossing and lurching trees and chirping birds, all Ideal for Tourism. It is an early stage proposal and no details about its length or cost is ascertained yet. I personally think this tunnel would only be completed after 2030.

There also two tunnels of 8 km long each on Sudhmahadev-Goha-Khelani stretch and a 2.4 km tunnel at Khelani bypass in J&K have been prepared.
(1) Sudttmatiadev- Dranga LENGTH - 4.5 KM AND ITS DPR attached below

http://forestsclearance.nic.in/write...icalReport.pdf

At least 2 more tunnels >10km are in early stages of planning that are still undisclosed by the Govt/BRO.

Dear ArjunPadmakumar

If you are fascinated with what's coming, look at what's coming in Uttar Pradesh.

TBhp link: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...pressways.html

See:

https://youtu.be/lNgqjQQE1JA

Nice video ☝

2015 - 25 is probably a golden decade in India's infrastructure story. A huge amount of national highway/expressway infrastructure work is in process. Not to mention DFC, metro in all Tier 1 and 2 cities and some Tier 3 and 4 cities, and a few others like MTHL, several new airports, lots of rail track doubling and electrification, etc. In no other decade have I seen such a huge transportation infrastructure works in progress. Looking forward to seeing 80% of these complete during 2022 - 2025.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunilch (Post 4838761)
We are going OT here but I feel compelled to write this. The entire debate on North v/s South wherein the North seems to be getting a favorable deal when compared to South is just a fallacy created and perpetuated by the politicians, whenever there is a election coming up in their respective states. And this is not limited to South politicians. Many politicians in other states too simply spread this fallacy that they are being treated unfairly by the CG and once they are back to power, they will fix this lol:

I guess we should stop think in terms of North v/s South and simply discuss the merits/de-merits of the projects.

Absolutely. The best example is Salem-Chennai expressway. They have been stuck in judicial cases and extreme political opposition due to biased "mylords", politically paid off news anchors and unscrupulous environmentalists'/NGOs.

Well it is a fact that there are more investments in the north than south,
1. Well its the nature of the beast, the Hindi belt which has propped up the current NDA to power, gets its reward. As much as it sucks, that's how democracy works. Tough one to swallow. :mad:
2. Land acquisition is comparatively easy in the north, south India especially Kerala and to some extent TN are very urbanized.
3. The mistrust amongst the local population on the central government does not help too.
4. Current state government interested in reviving the abandoned project of highways under the the sea :Frustrati (sethusamudram) https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le34852925.ece

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunilch (Post 4838761)
I guess we should stop think in terms of North v/s South and simply discuss the merits/de-merits of the projects.

True.
I am sure disappointed at the lack of expressways near me, but then I sure know the reasons why. The expressway connecting the biggest two cities in the south is being protested against. About my home state, the article shared below by @ darklord is more than enough. Chances of Kerala getting an expressway is the same as me using a V8 petrol for my daily commute.:sadface

The North-South divide is politically motivated and the tax retribution argument is an example. Basic understanding of our history and awareness of other countries' examples would have been more than enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darklord (Post 4840477)
It was one amongst the first proposed expressways in India, scuttled by local politicians on the flimsy ground that it will divide the state into two.
17 years later, a "lengthy" state like Kerala is yet to have a proper multilane...

Still remember the Minister M.K.Munner being vilified for his enthusiasm. 'It will split the state in half'. 'How will people cross the road with their cow?'. :Frustrati

My grandfather built his business concern a good distance from the road, saying that the road will be widened soon. People said he was not utilising the place properly. Well, that was in 1970. It is 2021 now and the road is still at pre-independence width, with the widening done at an excruciating 1km/year !!!

And now they want to built a semi-high speed railway across the state. Nothing against the project, but talk about keeping the cart before the horse.

See:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/85146244.cms

(India to have US standard highways in 3 years: Nitin Gadkari)

Gadkari's words reminds me of the dialog from Sholay at the start of the memorable train sequence ...

Viru (Gadkari): Kyon Jai maine kuch zyada to nahin bol diya?

Jai (Modi perhaps?): Partner abh bol hi diya hai to dekh lenge!

Mods, please dekete if OT. Was just trying to lighten the mood. I find it funny that Gadkari (though he's been doing a fantastic job) thinks that we can have US kind highways in 3 years. He probably completely misses the point about highway patrol, consistent lane markings, road discipline and RTO licensing practices, etc; all of which seem a tall ask to fix in 3 years.

Can someone give more information on the new tunnel opened between coimbatore and Trichur that is going to lead to a significant reduction in travel time between the two cities?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PVS (Post 5120613)
Can someone give more information on the new tunnel opened between coimbatore and Trichur that is going to lead to a significant reduction in travel time between the two cities?

See:

https://twitter.com/TheMercifulDon/s...502097920?s=19

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuthiran_Tunnel

The Bangalore - Bijapur stretch on the NH50 came as a shock to me while going to my native post the first lockdown. The journey time has been cut short by almost 2 hours and the road quality is simply amazing. Very less traffic as well when compared to the Bangalore - Pune highway.

Also, the Bijapur - Solapur stretch was hinted at being included in the Limca records for being completed at record time: https://m.timesofindia.com/city/beng...w/81252751.cms

We're seeing great improvements in highways all over Karnataka with a good balance of greenery too as compared to a couple of years back and hope this further improves in future.

However, certain roads in and around Bangalore are in a very bad shape but i guess that would be a seperate topic unrelated to the national and state highways.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhi7013 (Post 5120650)
The Bangalore - Bijapur stretch on the NH50 came as a shock to me while going to my native post the first lockdown. The journey time has been cut short by almost 2 hours and the road quality is simply amazing. Very less traffic as well when compared to the Bangalore - Pune highway.

Also, the Bijapur - Solapur stretch was hinted at being included in the Limca records for being completed at record time: https://m.timesofindia.com/city/beng...w/81252751.cms

We're seeing great improvements in highways all over Karnataka with a good balance of greenery too as compared to a couple of years back and hope this further improves in future.

However, certain roads in and around Bangalore are in a very bad shape but i guess that would be a seperate topic unrelated to the national and state highways.

Yes, we went to Hampi (from Bangalore) in Jan 2021. The icing on the cake was the fact that we got to travel on the then-recently 4-laned NH50 (Chitradurga - Hosapete, about 130 kms long stretch or so), which had just opened 2 weeks earlier.

It's fantastic.

See:
https://twitter.com/deepakulli/statu...265714177?s=19

Today's Times of India in Mumbai carries an update on Mumbai-Nagpur Expressway.

Key takeaways:
1) Not surprisingly, the opening of Nasik - Nagpur section is officially announced as Dec 2021. The current CM of MH had (rather boldly) announced May 2021 opening, which everyone knew was a pipe dream. Lets hope the Dec 2021 deadline is met.

2) Mumbai (Thane, or Shahpur to be specific) - Nasik section is announced for Dec 2022. This is primarily due to the tunnels being dug to bypass Kasara ghats. Again, a bit skeptical of the deadline, but fingers crossed if it can be achieved. TBH, Mumbaikers will know the pain of reaching/crossing Thane to hit the expressway. But hey, let's not complain too much!

3) Officials are again claiming 150 kmph speeds. Lets hope they stick to 120 kmph (realistic) and ensure better traffic behavior.

4) Toll rates are expected to be INR 1100 (as per article, the rate is fixed as per CG rule of 2008 to be INR 1.65 per km).
I had recently posted on another thread about the discrepancy in tolls between MH and MP during a Mumbai-Bhopal trip. Now I understand why MH tolls were pricey, or atleast its my guess. They call current Mumbai-Nasik highway as expressway in the official naming, and charge that steep toll rate (I suspect the same with Dhule/Malegaon stretch, but I need to check it).

Despite all the issues, I hope this expressway goes "live" soon. Will be a major boon for MH in general. And brings Pench, Satpura & even Jabalpur much closer by self-drive (boon for us Mumbikers :cool:)

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/85503273.cms

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by VT-RNS (Post 5130982)
Mumbai-Nagpur Expressway.

I've been following this project for sometime. By Dec 2021, at most 1 or 2 sections might open. Several bridge sections are still not done. It will likely take another year for major sections like Shirdi-Nagpur or Alephata-Nagpur to open. Only the tunnelling work is happening as of now on Shahpur-Alephata stretch. 2023 or 2024 would be the realistic expectation.

Quote:

3) Officials are again claiming 150 kmph speeds. Lets hope they stick to 120 kmph (realistic) and ensure better traffic behavior.
150 is the design speed. Yes 100 or 120 might be what will be allowed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vharihar (Post 5120673)
Yes, we went to Hampi (from Bangalore) in Jan 2021. The icing on the cake was the fact that we got to travel on the then-recently 4-laned NH50 (Chitradurga - Hosapete, about 130 kms long stretch or so), which had just opened 2 weeks earlier.

Officially you mean? When I travelled in Jan 2020, Bijapur-Chitradurga was done barring 1-2 km of roadwork near Chitradurga. Lane markings weren't there. I fully knew what was the condition beforehand. So it must've been completed sometime in 2018 or 2019.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandabear (Post 5089469)
Salem-Chennai expressway

This and the Madras-Bangalore expressway never made sense.Neither were providing any sort of value add.