Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2020, 12:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Dangerous tiff with a KSRTC driver and walking away with a heavy loss + heavy heart

Do lodge a police complaint. Any accident should be reported to the police. Especially one with significant damages.
Also don't use the same car for at least 6 months. Preferably change your home too if security is lax. These guys, Taxi drivers, auto drivers, water tankers, etc have a huge network and for sure your name, address and car details will have been distributed to them. So you will be target to a lot of aggressive driving, stones thrown at your house or pets, even increased harassment by traffic cops. These things are in Bangalore though. In Kerala things might be better, esp if you have some contacts in the local political party.
wildsdi5530 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 14:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Dangerous tiff with a KSRTC driver and walking away with a heavy loss + heavy heart

You should also write to the Station Manager and KSRTC MD if you have not already done so. Not that it will make a difference, but just to do everything that is possible within our hands.

In our country, these days, justice is easier to get via social media rather than going to the authorities. That is why a dashcam would have helped. Just uploading such a video and tagging Kerala MVD would have got you enough attention to bring this person in front of the law.

I drive 60 kms every day in North Kerala roads and suffer the menace from both KSRTC as well as private buses. They don't really give a damn about the consequences and are comfortable even thrashing people knowing they have their union's support behind them. It is never a good idea to engage with these goons.
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 15:17   #18
BHPian

Dear GKR9900.

First of all, sorry to hear about the ordeal and can understand the rage you had when he was doing the stunt and can understand how you reacted. Yes, looking back you also might be feeling that you could have handled it in a better way and you are right. By doing the rash driving like what the driver did and trying to make him stop, you did a mistake and learnt from it because KSRTC drivers are never going to learn. Period nothing more.

Having said that, let me also vent out my frustration by just pointing out their stunts:

1) No way the action of the driver can be justified. I have experienced it first hand many times and they just overtake oblivious to other fellow vehicles on the road unless it is another KSRTC bus coming

2) They bully because: one it is Government Vehicle they are driving and they don't really care about it. Second they know others really don't want to mess up the cars by confronting them and there by getting damages.

3) Many a times, they come with their headlights on as if they own the road. But sadly as we all know, nothing can be done. At times i have seen them bullying even Police Jeeps!!

4) Many a time i have faced this and many a times i have lost my composure but never tried to make them stop by overtaking and trying to make them stop. To be frank, i have followed them and wait for them to stop in a bus stop and then try to argue after making sure my car is safely out of his reach. And as always it ends up in verbal abuses and higher BP for me for the day.

5) Installing Camera is the only thing which can give us some justification and even by uploading it is Social Media have served the purpose many times.

Just take care of the car and your family and it is just a waste of our time to fight with them there. Raise a complaint and sometimes it will have impact. Best is to convince yourself that it will serve the purpose and move on.
Thanos-VV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 21:18   #19
BHPian

Thank you everyone for the response. Although I created this thread so that other fellow users can learn from my experience, I learnt a few things from us team-bhpians too. Feeling much better after going through all the responses.

As everyone has suggested, I already have a dashcam running in the XUV5OO. Was planning to install one in the Elantra as well. Definitely going to speed it up after this experience. As for the Elantra, she's already entered for repairs and we plan to get her back in shape soon. And as for the driver involved, I have been shooting emails to different officers in charge. Also filed one in the public grievance portal. I don't expect much of a reply as that is the sad state of affairs in our state. If at least one official takes a note of the mail I sent so that such scenarios can be avoided in the future, I would be happy.
GKR9900 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 23:06   #20
BHPian

My brother-in-law has a unique way of responding to rogue drivers. He gives a big salute. It leaves them perplexed, they would have anticipated you would confront, instead that was a lemon . It is hilarious to see their expression.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 7th July 2020 at 23:18.
Thermodynamics is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 03:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi GKR9900,
I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you, but I think many actions on your part were completely unnecessary. If you were being closely followed/following an erratic driver, you have two options according to me:
1. Safely accelerate away from him/her
2. Fall back (Maybe take a 10 minute coffee break )

While it is no excuse, these drivers are under intense pressure to meet schedules- you can report them by calling the police and sharing any video/photo evidence. Fighting the public bus drivers is generally fruitless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
The heat of the moment caused me to seek instant justice and it ended up being a loss to our mind and wallet.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 8th July 2020 at 03:27.
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 06:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Let it go man. I was hit by a KSRTC bus when i was travelling with my dad. And my dad was a direct report to the MD of KSRTC at the time. He said it was pointless to argue, that drivers are a law unto themselves due unionization - and said the most productive course of action was to leave it and claim insurance.
greenhorn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 10:20   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Dangerous tiff with a KSRTC driver and walking away with a heavy loss + heavy heart

Quote:
Now this is one incident that I wish I could have avoided. And it's one of those experiences that one wouldn't want to share, but if there was a place to share it, team-bhp would be it.
Very sorry to read your ordeal GKR9900. At the same time, equally delighted to know that you are all safe and unharmed. The car will get repaired.

While driving in India, the first thing I was taught by my dad years before I learnt driving was - "right of way" and "traffic rules" don't apply to all because most don't know these. All that matters is own safety. Drive defensive, follow rules & immediately give way to a bad driver in the mirror. Slow down, let him/her go ahead to such a distance that you cannot catch-up & then start driving peacefully again. Top of the list - in a fight, the larger vehicle WINS. So don't fight.

I'm sure these are the rules that you'll tell your next generation often now on.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 10:35   #24
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dangerous tiff with a KSRTC driver and walking away with a heavy loss + heavy heart

If there ever is a need to stop any vehicle, please try to do so at a toll / police check-post or ask police for their assistance.

This was a bus and it rammed your car, the consequences could have been worse. A car driver too could ram you or your vehicle if confronted, damaging you or your vehicle or both.

Imagine any one pulling out a gun.

Last edited by Sheel : 8th July 2020 at 13:21.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 10:38   #25
BHPian

Sorry to hear what you went through. Are the repair complete?
In Kerala, KSRTCs are called "Aanavandis" ( Elephant Vehicles) as you know. The drivers are so rash and can filter through traffic better than teens in their KTMs and R15s. They think that they own the road. I'm a keralite and have to depend on KSRTCs when I have to. They drive so rash and so fast, so they will be able to overtake other buses and collect more people. To be honest, I enjoy the fast driving, but little do I realize the dangers of their driving. Give them the keys to an F1 car or a supercar, and they will easily smoke Micheal Schumacher.
Did you inform the KSRTC depot?
You should have taken pictures with your mobile, but I can understand that the situation does not allow you to do it.
They should really stop their competition and start driving properly!!!

Last edited by Sheel : 9th July 2020 at 15:03. Reason: dippo = depot. Please proof read your post before submitting it.
Govardhansupra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 13:03   #26
BHPian

First of all sorry to hear about what happened.

I travel fairly regularly between Trivandrum and Kochi and I for one surely knows whats its to drive on these roads. Earlier I used to travel by KeSRTC buses and later I started driving. SO I have experienced both sides of the journey. My preferred seat for these 'long' journeys was seat no 51, the single seat right next to the driver and its was quite common to strike up a conversation with the driver or conductor. (long in the sense that the journey took anywhere between 5-7 hours). One thing I have learnt is that most of them do not wish to drive that rashly but have to because they have to keep the time. The running time allotted for a Super Fast bus to reach Trivandrum from Kochi is 4 hrs 30 mins, IIRC, which is impossible to maintain at sane speeds and under the current traffic conditions. These time tables were created long back and have never been revised since. They will be penalized if they miss the target times continuously, is what I was told. It sure were thrilling rides I got in the front seat, but most of the time my thought was, 'this is it, this is the end'.

When I started driving the same route, now I was at the receiving end. At lest three or four times I will be run off from the road either while they overtaking me or coming from the oncoming lane. Now I have a system that whenever I see a KeSRTC bus in my RVM I move to the side and just let them pass.

I too had an accident involving a KeSRTC bus once but it was a very minor one in comparison. I was waiting at a traffic signal in the middle lane of a three lane road and on my left was the bus, my B pillar was about on level with the fuel cap of the bus. Ahead of the bus was a truck or tempo, I'm not sure now, and on my right was other cars. When the signal turned green, to my horror the bus started to turn right, to avoid the slow pick up truck/tempo. My mother who was on the passenger side was mortified and despite me pressing down the puny horn on the i10, the bus started to rub against my left ORVM. It was a matter of seconds before I would lose my left fender, bumper and may end up with broken headlamp and dented bonnet. Luckily for me some bystanders who were waiting to cross the road shouted and alerted the driver and he stopped, glanced at the situation, simply turned back to his lane and drove off. Later at home I found that my loss was only some paint from the ORVM and nothing else.

Many advice I have seen earlier in this thread is to invest in a good two way dashcam and I think that is absolutely necessary now. I have been pushing it but I think I'll go for it soon.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 13:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACNWYTE View Post
The running time allotted for a Super Fast bus to reach Trivandrum from Kochi is 4 hrs 30 mins, IIRC, which is impossible to maintain at sane speeds and under the current traffic conditions. These time tables were created long back and have never been revised since.
This 4 hrs 30 mins is absolutely crazy. Since you drive often in this route, how much time do you take, considering one break somewhere near Kayamkulam, which I guess is also the case with KeSRTC buses?

Is the running time officially available through some government source? Or can it be found out using a RTI to Kerala MVD?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 13:17   #28
BHPian

Sorry to hear first of all. You should not shy away from lodging a police complaint, file a case with whatever details you have as of now. Even though you were not having a Dash Cam, there might be some CCTV footage if you are lucky enough. Moreover share the same story through social media accounts too. There is nothing to lose for you!
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 13:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Buddy, dont blame yourself for what you did since most of us in such a situation would have acted in similar sort of manner.

Now the first and foremost thing which should come to your mind is to avoid unnecessary exposure to people in times of Covid.
So drive with utmost care, and if you get in to a road rage situation think of Covid first. Take care.

Last edited by silverado : 8th July 2020 at 13:32.
silverado is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 13:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now this is one incident that I wish I could have avoided. And it's one of those experiences that one wouldn't want to share, but if there was a place to share it, team-bhp would be it.
I see a KSRTC driving like he owns the road behind me, i just give way. I lack the patience to handle such idiots, easier for me to let him be someone else's bumper flasher.

I sympathize with your issue.
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks