Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2020, 09:36   #31
BHPian

Re: Driving with the windows down is really bad for you

During winter time, I drive with driver side and rear right passenger window cracked open while the heater is in play. This to bring in fresh air and reduce the internal humidity and stuffiness feeling. It helps in fresh air re-circulation as well as control over humidity levels since the AC is not working.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 10:14   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I guess bikers & those who drive open cars (like my Jeep) are even worse off?
I am someone who can't sit in a car with windows rolled down, the noise, wind is too much to take in.

And I am rider, but believe me, with a helmet, balaclava, ear-plugs [not for music] and other gears, you don't feel as bad, but, I must admit, I ride for leisure, I seldom commute on 2 wheels nowadays.

Last edited by Sheel : 13th August 2020 at 12:35.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 10:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

In my first car, a Maruti 800, the windows were already down - of course, that car anyways did not have an AC, so the AC option was not even present. This was back in 2006,when I was a fresh graduate just out of college and in my first job.

Since then, Bangalore pollution levels have shot up and the usage of AC has become mandatory now, not just in summer but pretty much all year round, to counter the dust and pollution outside. Consequently, by the time I was on to my second car, driving with windows up at all times and with AC on 90% of the time has become the norm. Do not care much for the pollution, dust accumulation inside car and noise which permeates when driving with windows rolled down.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 11:00   #34
BHPian

I always prefer driving with windows rolled up. Can't stand the noise in a car especially on the highway. In the city, saves me the hassle of cleaning the interiors thanks to the pollution (at least pre covid sitch).

On my bike, I have no choice but to live with it! Also its a different feel altogether so really don't have a problem!
Old 13th August 2020, 11:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

The only reason i had my windows up and AC ON in City was noise.
On highways, the wind noise is too much so again no option.

But some nice places like ghats, i prefer to keep my windows completely open to get fresh air. Since i have sun visors fitted, i also like keeping my windows open till sunvisor levels during rains.

In Padmini way back in 2006, windows were always open and i have got completely drenched by Splash of water from oncoming vehicle on Dadar TT flyover, from then on in rains windows were always rolled up ( Manually ofcourse ) to very high levels on right side atleast.

We are now in COVID times, and window down is not an option anymore its a necessity ( Since air transmission is still unknown AFAIK ),but the good part is traffic has reduced in most cities.

Last edited by silverado : 13th August 2020 at 11:06.
Old 13th August 2020, 11:16   #36
BHPian

Thankfully most of us now a days run on AC with windows rolled up all the time. Gone are the days of Ambassador, Maruti 800 and Alto LX etc. where you had to keep the windows rolled down. Now a days rarely when driving through some villages we keep the windows rolled down just enjoy some fresh air. The moment you enter the city it is almost impossible to roll down the windows, thanks to the dust, noise and temperature.
Old 13th August 2020, 11:23   #37
BHPian

Rolling windows down - especially at speeds beyond 30-40 kmph, would consume more fuel. Which would then add to the pollution on road.

Secondly, I've observed, with open windows you feel more fatigue. It must be due to the effects mentioned in the study.
Old 13th August 2020, 11:29   #38
BHPian

99.9% of the time I drive with ACC on re-circulation and windows rolled up. The few times I keep the windows rolled down is at the start of the journey to cycle out the stale air inside the cabin, at check posts and non Fastag tolls. Also the Creta has a habit of automatically switching to fresh air mode when ACC is engaged. I have to manually reset to re-circulation mode each time. On a lighter note, I like to sing along to the music playing and it's in public interest that my voice should go unheard.

Even with all these precautions my car's interior gets dusty (moderate) within two to three weeks. I used to get dust allergies earlier an after moving into the city I got a bit acclimatized to the dust and pollution but with the spread of Covid19 and use of masks, the allergy is back I guess. Nowadays I'm very sensitive to dust. All the more reason for me to keep the glasses rolled up all the time.

This brings me to a question. Does anybody else face the problems of heightened sensitivity to dust/ pollution after starting to use face masks?

Last edited by BLACNWYTE : 13th August 2020 at 11:51. Reason: added a question
Old 13th August 2020, 11:40   #39
BHPian

Absolutely agree, I drive with my windows rolled up 99% of the time. It keeps my interior spic and span, cutting out the traffic ambient noise reduces exertion, enjoy the music and company if any in peace. The only exception being when I drive through forest reserves/national parks or way far in the hills, drive real slow, shut off the music roll down the windows and soak up the nature; birds/insects making up the ambient noises and the zero pollution crisp air which we don't get in the city.
Old 13th August 2020, 11:53   #40
BHPian

I used to roll down windows as driving at full AC in car often felt claustrophobic. There was also the issue of temperature control as I would often have to manually switch off the compressor when it got too cold.
But thanks to auto climate controls nowadays that problem is well controlled. So now I prefer driving with fully closed windows and rely on the climate control to take care of the rest.
amitayu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 12:03   #41
BHPian

So I'm a bit anal about this. None of my cars are ever driven with the window down.

Except in one scenario:

On long highway trips, I bring the window down every couple of hours usually after a toll gate or somewhere clean with no traffic for just a few seconds to freshen up the insides of the car. This makes a huge difference to the drive comfort.

I also have a habit of regularly (every 3-4 months) sanitizing the AC ventilation & hoses:

Do this after the vehicle has been parked for a few hours, preferably at night and close all the inside AC vents before you begin.

1. Turn on the engine and run the AC on high temp at full blast for a couple of minutes
2. Turn off the engine (and the AC) but leave the fan on full blast till the air isn't hot anymore
3. Spray two or three blasts of the below linked disinfectant from the outside AC air intake vents (usually just below the wipers.) This circulates the disinfectant throughout the AC plumbing. You should see condensation appear on the inside vents.
5. Wait for a minute or two. Open the inside vents and leave the fan on full blast for 5 minutes or till the air inside has no smell and park the vehicle for the night.
6. Next morning before you drive, air out the vehicle for a couple of minutes.

Enjoy your fresh feeling car and air conditioning!

The disinfectant I use is this: (Highly recommend the crisp linen variant because it's very mildly perfumed)

https://www.amazon.in/Dettol-Disinfe.../dp/B07XY8WM98

May sound lengthy or complicated but it really isn't. And especially useful considering the current scenario. I do this once every 3 months or so and takes about 10 min for the whole process. Remember to do this when the car has not been running so that the engine is not too hot. You will need to run the car to run the AC, so do this on a cold engine to ensure that the temps are not too much causing a risk of fire when spraying the disinfectant. Common sense prevails.

This ensures that my cars always feel super fresh when you enter with no smell, dampness or anything untoward. It also ensures that there are no unexpected surprises growing in the AC plumbing giving rise to foul smells later on.

One of the main reasons I never drive with the window down is I've learnt that once the insides get dusty, no amount of detailing or what not is going to get it back to the levels of clean it will be if you never drove with the window down.

I'm also allergic to dust. So that's maybe where this OCD originated.

Last edited by Tassem : 13th August 2020 at 12:04.
Tassem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 12:05   #42
BHPian

Did anyone here consider the fact that most of our immunities are much better than the scientists carrying out the research studies? Those who ride bikes and open jeeps or other cars with windows rolled down already have strong immunities (akin to those eating from roadside thelas regularly!) I think we decide whether to use the AC or not based on:

1. How much heat we can handle
2. How much fuel we want to save
3. How cool is the weather outside
Old 13th August 2020, 12:15   #43
BHPian

I drive for the first couple of minutes with windows down to let fresh air come in. Post which ACC at 24 and recirculation mode and switching to fresh air mode when the roads are a bit clear on highways.
Reason:
1. Pollution and dust
2. Noise (i love my music on the drive)
3. Safety (beggars, muggers,signal sellers etc)
4. Wife will kill me if I don't roll up the windows with AC
Old 13th August 2020, 12:18   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
On a serious note, I don't know how we survived a decade in an Omni without an AC. Windows open was fun then, it is unimaginable now.
In those days (circa '80s and early '90s), vehicle density per '000 population was much lower , there was lesser construction activity, less industries, more green cover - all of which contributed to cooler climes and less particulate matter hovering a few feet above the ground.

Another factor was that in those days the passenger car segment was dominated by petrol engines, which were inherently cleaner than diesels of the day. It was only much later that diesel engines became mainstream in the segment - the early models did not have the sophistication of cleaner diesels today.

The sheer volume of 2-wheelers on the road has also increased multi-fold , and these have been dominated by engines that haven't really evolved much from a green energy standpoint - more due to keeping their price points accessible for the masses.

That's not to say that air pollution was non-existent, back then. Far from it, it was very much there - especially in the metros where economic activity was more intense. However people with compromised respiratory function, weren't seen to sport a mask - a sight much more common now - specially in winter.
joybhowmik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 12:33   #45
Senior - BHPian

I've never opened a window for more than a couple of minutes in an urban area in urban areas. But yes, I've spent nearly 4 years riding motorcycles in India.

Reasons not to open windows:
1. Noise
2. Pollution
3. Dust
4. Safety - phone grabbing, persistent beggars etc

If you have a Jeep, best to enjoy it early in the morning or very late in the night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
On a serious note, I don't know how we survived a decade in an Omni without an AC. Windows open was fun then, it is unimaginable now.
Pre 2005, Bangalore hardly had traffic. One could drive from Bannerghatta Rd to Hebbal (About 20 Km; South to North) in 35 min - 1hr tops. Try that today.

We had far lesser buses, auto-rickshaws, two wheelers, cars, building construction. India has been booming from around the mid-2000s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I don't know about my lungs but I do care about keeping the car interiors dust free Happy to know it has good side effects for health as well.
Give this BHPian an award for putting his car over himself

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 13th August 2020 at 12:35.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks