Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2007, 21:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Friends Indigo Involved In An Accident On The Highway With Pics

My Friend Had been to ratnagiri with his mom dad cousin.He Left From there at about 12 o clock in the afternoon.
While Returning Back He was around 300 km from mumbai and on the ghat section of the road and there was road construction going on and the highway was narrowed down to a single way.
There Was a Truck commin from the opposite side and my friend flashed him so that he can join this road after he passed.But this truck guy did not pay heed and directly entered the road commin head on towards the Indigo.My friend braked,wheels locked and went head on inside the truck at around 60 kmph.Luckily he did not even try to steer towards the left as there was a ditch and would have lead to distasterous consequences.
Nothin much happend to them but the car was really hurt hard.
The truck guy also braked hard at the last moment.Immediately after the accident he ran away but my friend took the other guys in the truck to task and registered an FIR.
Here are the pics clicked here in ghatkopar after he came back with the damaged car.Clearly shows the tank like built quality of the Indigo.Safety wise it rocks..!!

Last edited by humyum : 27th March 2007 at 21:57.
Old 27th March 2007, 22:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear everyone in the car came out unhurt..!!!
Old 27th March 2007, 22:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thank god that your friend and his family are safe and yes tata cars are built like tanks we have the evidence now
Old 27th March 2007, 22:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

firstly, it is really good to know that no one was hurt. But why do these truckers run after every accident ? i know , the bigger vehicle is always blamed, but why ?
Old 27th March 2007, 22:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thats the pattern. As you said, the big vehicles are at fault most of the time. I have seen this happening with small to fatal accidents. Truck driver will run away to the nearest police station and surrender himself before the crowd / people around will start acting. I guess this is very common and the transport company owners are also insisting them to do so in case they encounter such an accident.

One more thing I have experianced is these truck drivers are never bothered. I have noticed that even if you flash the light they will keep coming and may not let you go first. one reason can be the way they drive with the full load or its just been a habit for them. I have seen the same attitude with the cabies and auto folks here in city. sick!! they are not bothered..
Old 28th March 2007, 09:28   #6
BHPian

Man, scary experience. Good to hear that everyone was fine. And yes, Tata vehicles are build very strong. I can attest to that.
Do remember that on the highway, don't leave your fate in the hands/desicion of the other driver. It is better to play safe and drive more defensively than normal, as highways speeds of all vehicles is much more than city speeds. I normally do not overtake unless the opposite road is clear or there is a long distance for the incoming vehicle to reach. I never try and play 'chicken' with any incoming traffic, not with passengers in my car.
Ps: I'm not suggesting it is your friend's fault, but if the distance from the truck's point of view was too less to slow down in time, then flashing the headlines and overtaking perhaps was not the best tactics at that time. But then, I don't know what were the circumstances, so please don't think I've blaming anyone. For all I know, your friend could be a very good experienced driver and this was totally bad luck. In anycase the truck driver should not have run, as it makes him look guilty.
Old 28th March 2007, 11:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
Man, scary experience. Good to hear that everyone was fine. And yes, Tata vehicles are build very strong. I can attest to that.
Do remember that on the highway, don't leave your fate in the hands/desicion of the other driver. It is better to play safe and drive more defensively than normal, as highways speeds of all vehicles is much more than city speeds. I normally do not overtake unless the opposite road is clear or there is a long distance for the incoming vehicle to reach. I never try and play 'chicken' with any incoming traffic, not with passengers in my car.
Ps: I'm not suggesting it is your friend's fault, but if the distance from the truck's point of view was too less to slow down in time, then flashing the headlines and overtaking perhaps was not the best tactics at that time. But then, I don't know what were the circumstances, so please don't think I've blaming anyone. For all I know, your friend could be a very good experienced driver and this was totally bad luck. In anycase the truck driver should not have run, as it makes him look guilty.
I agree with you DriverR, the car drivers have more braking & controlling power...We should see that we give way to the heavier vehicles then just flashing the lights and expect them to stop...Let not our cars overtaking/passing depends on the incoming traffic's speed....

Abhi
Old 31st March 2007, 13:29   #8
BHPian

Lucky escape! With a ditch to the left and lorry in front, how fast did the car go to have wheel lock?! Or is it that Indigo's brakes are so unsafe?
Old 31st March 2007, 18:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

My friend was comin on a kind of blindish right turn on the highway which had a ghat section kinds.He was on the downslope at around 75 to 80kmph and the lorry was climbing on top.
As soon as he saw the lorry which was on its own side that time he flashed his light.The lorry driver failed to stop and my friend on realising that he stood on the brakes.So at around 60 kmph he went inside the lorry
Old 31st March 2007, 19:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
My friend was comin on a kind of blindish right turn on the highway which had a ghat section kinds.He was on the downslope at around 75 to 80kmph and the lorry was climbing on top.
As soon as he saw the lorry which was on its own side that time he flashed his light.The lorry driver failed to stop and my friend on realising that he stood on the brakes.So at around 60 kmph he went inside the lorry
Overseas I have seen whenever there is construction, there are temporary traffic lights that permit traffic only on one direction. In Hongkong I saw this even for a fairly short strech of repair under broad daylight. In our country that is not there so it is the case of 'driver beware'. In our country we simply have to assume the worst and drive accordingly.

For instance, when I see a stopped car in front of me, I always slow down because guys ALWAYS open their doors in a flash without bothering to turn back and check. Just today that saved an idiot his door if not his head. He smiled and said 'sorry sir' but I am glad he lived to say that.

Going 80kmph on a downslope, on a corner, that too when one side is under repair is, to put it mildly, rash. Doing that with a car like Indigo built to third world standards, without ABS is, well..worse. Still, a cars brake should not fail at such speeds, though I am not an automobile engineer. I wonder how you issued certificate of robustness to that car.

My sympathies are with your friend, and I am happy he escaped but we have to take ownership of our actions and their consequences.

Expert drivers should come out with tips for what to do under such circumstances.
Old 31st March 2007, 19:59   #11
BHPian

While I am glad all eacaped un touched -so to speak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Simple rule which most people forget!
You have to Give way to a vehicle climbing!!!
More so alorry/truck! If he has to stop suddenly he could break his axle!- Also He may not be able to start up again on the slope and could cause a massive traffic jam!
So next time pls understand - Its not always that the lorry is trying to jam you!
Cheers!
Old 8th April 2007, 01:46   #12
BHPian

Going 80kmph on a downslope, on a corner, that too when one side is under repair is, to put it mildly, rash. Doing that with a car like Indigo built to third world standards, without ABS is, well..worse. Still, a cars brake should not fail at such speeds, though I am not an automobile engineer. I wonder how you issued certificate of robustness to that car.

My friend you, yourself say one should not be doing 80 Kmph downhil, which is correct.
So how do you expect a car without ABS not to lock up its brakes at such speeds..And mind you locking of brakes and a brake failure are two very different issues.
Talking of robustness, why dont u arrange for a visit to Tata Motors crash test facility, you can see for yourself what safety features are incorporated in the bodyshell..From the pics the car looks in 'decent shape' after the head on impact with the truck, that too when it was coming downhill....so to say the car is robust..
Old 9th April 2007, 07:50   #13
BHPian

Sorry..as a layman I would feel 80km is high as far as driving in slope (even in non-slope on most indian roads) is concerned, but not high as far as failure of devices such as brakes go.

Brake failure and locking are different you are right but question is at what speed should wheel lock? If it is around 80, IMHO that is low. Again, I am not an engineer so would welcome expert comments - we should know the limits for information so you can include that factor while driving. If brakes are 90% likely to fail at 80kmph, it is senseless to go at that speed on any road because you cannot brake.

Can we say at any speed over 70kmph, if you brakes, good chance that wheels will lock? 60? 50?

If Tatas are so sure about their crash safety features, they can get it tested by independent agencies and publish results. We can then be sure. Last I heard even for CityRover (Indica sold in UK with disastrous results) they did not do NCAP testing perhaps with good reasons.
Old 9th April 2007, 10:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggkg View Post
Doing that with a car like Indigo built to third world standards, without ABS is, well..worse. Still, a cars brake should not fail at such speeds, though I am not an automobile engineer. I wonder how you issued certificate of robustness to that car.
Everytime I see a statement like that, I just cant stop
Old 9th April 2007, 13:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

well, i would go with the fact that driving down hill at 80 is a tad on the negligent side, esp with passengers. The golden rule of Ghats is "give way for upcomgin traffic". Esp trucks, they "snake" their way up these sections to make up for the incline. But, thank god no one was injured.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks