Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2020, 13:33   #1
BHPian

Fortuner drives through deep floods - Consequences, damage etc.

This will make all Toyota Fortuner owners happy.

Found this week-old video posted by a youtuber and also referred on another automobile website. Somewhere in the streets of Gurgaon the youtuber driving a Toyota Fortuner encounters a heavily waterlogged stretch of road. They even see an Audi stuck in the flood and being towed by a tractor.

After some deliberation they decide to give it a go. The Fortuner successfully conquers the challenge in spite of the water level coming momentarily above the bonnet.

Several people are found claiming in the comments section of the youtube video that Toyota can actually use this video as a marketing move

Nevertheless with 700 mm water wading capacity being next to only Ford Endeavor's 800 mm benchmark, this is a good show for the Toyota Fortuner. Watch from 4:25 mark in the video for the real action.

Fortuner drives through deep floods - Consequences, damage etc.-scrn.jpg

Fortuner drives through deep floods - Consequences, damage etc.-scrn-copy.jpg

Last edited by haisaikat : 8th September 2020 at 13:50.
haisaikat is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 13:59   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Fortuner drives through deep floods - Consequences, damage etc.

This appeared on my feed earlier today. Saw the full video and found it to be an unnecessary stunt, most likely to get attention. Reminded me of another video I saw recently, that of a sunk Nexon while trying to cross a flooded railway underpass.
ashis89 is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 14:53   #3
Team-BHP Support

Water wading is rather stupid risk to take with primary family vehicles. Even with purpose-built offroad vehicles it is a risk, but then we usually have other vehicles to tow us out of trouble. And we do recce of the path we take to reduce further risk.

Lot of parts under the hood are not really water proof. Unless you must take the risk, don't do it with unprepared vehicles. This Fortuner didn't even have a snorkel.

Last edited by Samurai : 8th September 2020 at 14:58.
Samurai is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 15:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

There was very little in the video that actually showed the water and the capabilities of the vehicle and a lot more about everything else!!

Can't ask the content creator to edit the misleading title of the video but can still ask mods to edit the title of this thread .
paragsachania is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 15:10   #5
BHPian

The Fortuner owner was elated as soon as he crossed the stretch of water. Water entering into the air filter assembly, engine and then causing subsequent major damage will take few more minutes after crossing the stretch and not immediately AFAIK.
bharatbits is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 17:36   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

A case of having too much of 2 things: time and money. Putting any car through that risk just for making a video is utterly pointless and moronic. But then most of Gurgaon and NCR region is filled with such idiots thanks to the massive prices at which the local population sold off their farm lands.
drmohitg is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 17:49   #7
BHPian

The owner of the car and channel "Prateek Rathee" is the brother in-law of famous Youtuber "Flying Beast".
One thing I've noticed is that his content is quite immature and somewhat clickbait-ish.
Putting a 40L+ through such an ordeal is just pure stupidity. I cringed every moment of the video. Some people will do anything in the name of content
Sreesh1009 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 17:51   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
There was very little in the video that actually showed the water and the capabilities of the vehicle and a lot more about everything else!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Water wading is rather stupid risk to take with primary family vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
found it to be an unnecessary stunt, most likely to get attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
A case of having too much of 2 things Putting any car through that risk just for making a video is utterly pointless and moronic.
The creator of the video is a YouTuber and b-i-l of Capt. Gaurav Taneja, the whistle blower who spoke out against Air Asia.

Risking a vehicle like this just for the sake of getting some viewership on YouTube is hard to believe !!
vigsom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 19:44   #9
BHPian

Let's say even if the car had got stuck, he would have probably got some good content for his vlogs.

Episode #1 - My Fortuner got submerged in water!
Episode #2 - Called a crane and then this happened..
Episode #3 - OMG! Never thought it will be this costly!
Episode #4 - Must have clauses in your Fortuner Car insurance policy
Episode #5 - Not expected this from Toyota India
Episode #6 Bringing my Fortuner back from the service centre after 40 days.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 8th September 2020 at 19:46.
Sherlocked is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 19:48   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fortuner drives through deep floods - Consequences, damage etc.

It's the stupidest thing you can do with an SUV or any 4x4. Ask me, my Jeep has driven through lots of floods & lakes. It's a lot of fun in the beginning and makes for some amazing pictures / videos. You then realise the consequences and subsequent damage. A lot of things under the hood aren't waterproof. The first to go will be the starter, then the alternator. I lose count of the number of times I have overhauled my starters & alternators (horns, air-con compressors etc. all follow). Also, once water enters the nooks & crannies of your vehicle, rust is a given.

End result, now whenever we encounter water bodies while offroading, I take the longer route around it . I love my car too much for such nonsense.
GTO is offline   (76) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 20:32   #11
BHPian

Anyone who loves cars and buys them out of his own hard earned money will never do such stunts in my humble opinion. I once tried to drive through a waterlogged area because I was in a hurry to reach my wife and child. Completely misunderstood the depth of water and got stuck in the middle. The ordeal that followed gave me nightmares for a month. Thereafter I have taken leaves, I have taken a bus, I have driven 20-30 kms extra, but I have never dared to drive through another waterlogged area. Even if my next car is an SUV with one meter water wading capacity, I will not dare to drive through anything beyond ankle deep water. The thrill is just not worth the long term damage.
Night Raven is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 20:57   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

This video tells us a few things -
  • People are rich enough to willingly damage their big buck SUVs/cars.
  • People have no iota about the limits of their vehicles.
  • You'll find morons in all corners of the world.
  • People go to any stretch to make Vlogs for likes on YouTube.

There would be times when one may have to do it unwillingly but still, taking a longer route is preferable. I've myself driven through about 300mm (1 feet) water in my Wagon R and Brezza as the whole town had waterlogging and all roads to home were waterlogged but water had not entered the car nor any damage to engine (got lucky I guess).

Once rain water mixed with drain water enters the car and the carpet gets wet, the car is a mess for a month or so. The stench it leaves is too much. And with almost all cars getting a fixed carpet unlike M800 of yore, it's a challenge to dry it. I went through this for both my car's when they got submerged till running board in July due to extremely heavy rains at my place (240mm in 30 hours) and water entered both the cars and the carpet was wet. I was in such a position that the cars couldn't have been taken out due to deeper water just outside my gate. So all I could do was look at the cars getting water inside them and wait for it to recede. It has taken nearly a month for things to get dry. There is some smell still there but not as much as it was earlier.

Fortuner drives through deep floods - Consequences, damage etc.-img_20200801_225851__01.jpg
This snap was taken when water had entered our ground floor house. We shifted upstairs after this and water reached over the running board area.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 8th September 2020 at 21:11.
BoneCollector is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 21:11   #13
BHPian

Reminds me of this video from Reddit.

Some people! *facepalm*
digitalnirvana is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 09:30   #14
BHPian

I have an honest question.

In this situation, what if you drive the car in reverse? Wouldn't it reduce the chance of water entering the air intake?
Old 9th September 2020, 10:11   #15
BHPian

I think the water level looked higher because of the bow wave created when the fortuner travelled at speed. I have done something similar in my safari dicor in mumbai on the sclr. As long as the foot is on the accelerator and a constant speed is maintained in a low gear, one should be ok. The problem to look out for is potholes in unsealed roads, or open manholes, stones etc
AirbusCapt is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks