Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2020, 15:48   #1
BHPian

How much has your daily km running reduced due to Covid-19?

Ever since the Covid-19-induced lockdown hit us, many people have been forced to work from home. Many of us have even had to limit our movements unless absolutely necessary. That means no late night drives, no going out to meet friends, etc. All this has led to a dramatic drop in the distance we drive everyday. While some people are throwing caution to the wind and going about their lives like everything is normal, there are some who are taking precautions and avoiding going out as much as possible.
What was the distance that you drove daily before the lockdown and how much do you drive now?

My answer: I used to drive 14-15 km daily, since my office and other regularly visited places are close-by to home. Nowadays, since I am following a pretty strict Home-Office-Home routine, this has dropped to under 5 km a day! When I visited the tire repair shop the other day, after checking my tire pressure the guy there asked me "Gaadi chal nahi raha hai kya?" ("Isn't the car in use?")
TheGearBox is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 16:01   #2
BHPian

re: How much has your daily km running reduced due to Covid-19?

I used to drive about 48 kms daily (both ways) before Hyderabad Metro happened, after metro services started to Gachibowli, I used to take metro, and used to take my car on fridays. I used to go out with my friends over the weekends, those were quick weekend trips within Telangana (~300 km max) longest was Kunthala water falls which was 300 kms one way from my house, so 600 in total. Now due to covid and work from home, I step out very rarely, no weekend drives, no night drives, etc.

We order everything online. Groceries from big basket, Electronics and other things from Amazon and other e-commerce websites. We have our milk supply guy and we have a general stores within 800 meters from our house.

Just to keep the cars in condition, I start my vehicles over the weekends and I go around for short 2-3 kms rides just to top off the battery charge. I move the position of vehicles so that the tyres wouldn't sit at one place and become hard. I maintain 1/4th tank fuel when not used because I don't want diesel to contaminate in the tank. I also regularly top up air in the tyres. Low tyre pressure + sitting at one place for long duration will cause hardening of tyres and unwanted cracks.

So previously it was about 50 kms of daily drive, now it is almost nothing.
WhiteSierra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 16:22   #3
BHPian

Used to drive 25km daily on the Honda Activa (to and fro office) since we don't like driving a car in the Bangalore office hour traffic. That has reduced to zero. Recently got the tyre pressure checked and it read 6psi :|

Used to drive the car for about 50-100kms over the weekends if not a bigger trip, that has reduced to 10-20kms which is a mandatory minimum I guess.

Get everything in our society (fruits/ veggies/ groceries). The most recent circuitous trip was a 20kms one to Decathalon when we got some sports equipment.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 16:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Although there has been no strict lockdown here like in India, I have been working from home since mid-March. So my daily office commute of about 26km reduced to 0. As schools were also closed from around the same time till August (except for a brief 2-week period in May), and we avoided all non-essential travel, my monthly mileage also dropped from around 1200km to about 300km during March-July.

Since schools re-opened, my daily mileage has gone up to 40+km due to school runs (avoiding public transport). The school is closer to my office than our home, so my daily mileage would be less if I was going to office!! With the other trips for shopping and couple of hobby classes, my monthly mileage is now more than the pre-Covid period.

All mileage savings from March-July was reset by our 4250-km road trip at the end of July
StarrySky is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 18:12   #5
BHPian

On the contrary, my mileage has increased due to Covid. Before Covid, I used to park my car at metro station (12 kms both ways) and take metro to office. However, upon imposition of lockdown, initially I was working from home but office resumed from end May. Due to closure of metro around that time, I have been going to office on alternate days and driving to office since then (60 kms both ways).
Though metro has started now, I am being cautious and still driving to office. I will be continuing with same till a vaccine is out.
Amity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 19:37   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: How much has your daily km running reduced due to Covid-19?

Have had a home office since decade+, so no difference to daily running. That being said, my weekly / monthly km running has fallen due to:

- No dinner / party / shopping trips

- No road-trips with the family :(. This is what I miss the most.

On the other hand, my weekend km logging has actually increased as every weekend, I have some test-car or the other. I don't remember the last time I drove my own car on a weekend.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 19:43   #7
ike
BHPian

My car used to cover around 10k KMS in 6 months including office runs and trips to hometown. Post corona and lockdown I have covered 3400KM from mid March till now. No highway runs, no shopping trips, nothing.
Old 18th September 2020, 20:31   #8
BHPian

I would do about 1000-1200 kms a month. About 450-500 km out of that would be office commute and the remaining would be either weekend usage or the monthly trip with the family. Now this has come down drastically to less than 50 km a month. And that's pushing it
Old 18th September 2020, 20:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

My daily drive to office was 80 km per day. Now it is 0 km and I assume this will be till atleast March 2021 as WFH seems to be the only way forward.

Using my car for usual errand a few times in a month. At max it will be used for 50-100 kms per month if at all.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 20:59   #10
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

My daily office commute was 80-85 kms, it still is the same.

Being in the essential services sector, I do not have an option of WFH sadly. While commuting from Gurgaon to Noida and back in April, May, June was relatively a bliss, it is very taxing nowadays. Traffic is back to normal in Delhi and at times the roads feel even more congested than they used to be in the pre lockdown era.

Previously, I used to take the metro train to work once or twice a week to avoid driving in the crowded roads. However, now I don't think I will be using the metro any time soon. So at present, it is a 80-85 kms commute five days a week.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 21:15   #11
BHPian

Daily commute used to be 30 kms and weekly total used to be 250kms in Bangalore. Now that I'm in my hometown it has gone up because of weekend travel to my wife's house/ reverse. So weekdays car doesn't run much but on weekends it clocks 300+.
Old 18th September 2020, 21:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Work from home option was available for me before Covid-19 outbreak too and I used to travel to office 2 - 3 days a week. About 60 kms required weekly for office commute is reduced. In the last 6 months, I have driven 600 kms only, that too mainly because of last 4 weekend drives to some places around Bengaluru.
Old 18th September 2020, 21:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

For my car it's been halved. I used to cover a minimum of 1400-1500Kms every month, not that numbers has decreased by a lot. Since I am in Mysore with my parents, my bi-weekly travel has reduced and so is my city commutes.
But I have taken every single opportunity to drive as much as possible, the last drive was to MM hills driving covering 460Kms in a day. The previous one was to Kavaledurga fort covering 800kms in 18hrs. More such unplanned drives are on the horizon.

My wife used to drive 1000kms in a month, all city driving. Since the lockdown, her car has been driven just 1700kms in 6 months.
Old 18th September 2020, 23:22   #14
BHPian

Office commute used to be 15kms a day + around 25-50kms on weekends to go with one BLR-CHN-BLR round trip a month. Last 3yrs have have averaged 18k kms/ year

Since March have driven ~500kms and almost all just because I was itching to take the car out. I usually service the car twice an year. Once in Mar/Apr and another in Sep/Oct. Haven't yet given for service since October last year with 8k done so far. Waiting for some reduction in cases in Bangalore.
Old 18th September 2020, 23:31   #15
BHPian

I used to commute to work on my RE Classic 500, a total of about 20 km to and fro. With WFH it has reduced to 0, however I still miss my rides, so end up taking my bike for short runs to nearby places once in every couple of days. Nowadays most traffic I notice is gearless scooters with luggage strapped or electric three wheelers transporting household items belonging to Big Basket or Swiggy or similar services. Happy to see reduced number of autorickshaws, however on other hand, feel sad for people who relied on them for their livelihood and don't mind seeing more of them soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks