Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2020, 11:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Cars stolen at gunpoint in India

Thanks to Jasdeep Singh for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Jasdeep shares the following:
Quote:
My 2017 Ford Endeavour, White colour, was snatched at gun point from Mohali near Airport, on 11 Nov 7:44 pm. Car pictures and news attached.
Cars stolen at gunpoint in India-a28c6d5cc1b14cc1b120db38ca00ec08.jpg

Cars stolen at gunpoint in India-img_4634.jpg

Cars stolen at gunpoint in India-a80c729a35a146eea6de13ec3dce7e93.jpg

Cars stolen at gunpoint in India-e3220524422d4ae6b86b128e8e178258.jpg

Cars stolen at gunpoint in India-6102de55bf8d4f4b8ce1ffb2595ccf8a.jpg

Cars stolen at gunpoint in India-e733269241904543bca73b722de88007.jpg

blackwasp is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 13:33   #2
BHPian

Re: Cars stolen at gunpoint in India

Horrible thing to experience. Shot fired nearby!

But good thing is that he walked away safe. In these scenarios, its better to lose property than life, which can always be either recovered or bought again. He did the right thing handing over the keys.

Also, another takeaway is that its better to spend on tracking device on cars and bikes.

I also remember one incident where fast tag deduction alert sms helped track a stolen Scorpio.
saikarthik is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 17:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Scary incident indeed. First time I am hearing of an incident where the car was stolen at gunpoint.
Yes, better to lose the car than life in such scenarios.
Insurance should help in recovering the loss of monetary loss.

Quote:
Also, another takeaway is that its better to spend on tracking device on cars and bikes.
The car is not recovered, the thiefs threw the tracker away.
Old 28th November 2020, 19:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

I too never heard of stealing a car at gunpoint. Good that the owner is safe.

Really feels odd. Maybe there is some rivalry or an enmity at play behind the scenes.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 28th November 2020 at 19:29.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 20:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
I also remember one incident where fast tag deduction alert sms helped track a stolen Scorpio.
My scorpio. Unfortunately the cameras were under maintenance at the time the Scorpio crossed the toll in question. And till then it had been driven on routes that avoided tolls.

The car was found over a year later in Rajasthan, being used by drug smugglers hauling 500 kg of choora (opium husk).
hserus is offline   (70) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 20:43   #6
Team-BHP Support

This road - Aerocity, is usually very busy as it bypasses Chandigargh and serves multiple sectors of Mohali.

I have travelled at all times, midnight to dawn on this stretch, besides Punjab is usually very safe to travel at any time.

There’s definitely more to this, personal differences or even some money matter might be the reason.

I may be totally wrong though, just my views.

Good luck to Jasdeep.
Turbanator is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 21:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
This road - Aerocity, is usually very busy as it bypasses Chandigargh and serves multiple sectors of Mohali.

I have travelled at all times, midnight to dawn on this stretch, besides Punjab is usually very safe to travel at any time.

There’s definitely more to this, personal differences or even some money matter might be the reason.

I may be totally wrong though, just my views.

Good luck to Jasdeep.
Exactly; this road is absolutely packed at the time this happened.
A friend has a workshop in sector 82, and he is a regular commuter; i too use this road regularly, when I am around.
That said, car jackings around Zirakpur have been in the news since past few years now.
akshay4587 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 21:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

A quick search lead me to couple of news items and it seems carjacking at gunpoint is not entirely uncommon.

Gurugram: Techie robbed of car at gunpoint
Quote:
January 22, 2020 CHANDIGARH: A visit of a 36-year-old software engineer from Gurugram to his office branch here turned into a nightmare when a gun was pointed to his head and his car snatched in a robbery at IT Park on Monday night.
Scrap dealer carjacked at gunpoint in Mullanpur
Quote:
June 17, 2020: A 35-year-old man was carjacked at gunpoint by two men near Siswan village of Mullanpur in Mohali district on Monday night.
Here is an example where some stolen cars land up.

Fortune Runs Out for Interstate SUV Thieves
Quote:
June 7, 2020 ITANAGAR: Stolen cars 26 in number, mostly luxurious Toyota Fortuners, and worth more than Rs.9 crore have been recovered by police in the state capital in the past six months, including one that reportedly belongs to a relative of former Bihar chief minister Lalu Prasad Yadav.
airbus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 12:16   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Never heard of the same in Mumbai, but it was a bit common in shady areas of the East Coast, USA. Our MBA professor then had told us = say nothing, walk out of the car and let the thief peacefully drive your car away.

This is the kind of stuff that we pay an insurance premium for.
GTO is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 12:28   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Never heard of the same in Mumbai, but it was a bit common in shady areas of the East Coast, USA. Our MBA professor then had told us = say nothing, walk out of the car and let the thief peacefully drive your car away.

This is the kind of stuff that we pay an insurance premium for.
I am referring to this thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...insurance.html (Thief poses as valet driver - Customer denied insurance)

Here in India, as per insurance company, owner isn't supposed to hand over the key for peaceful solution.

They will reject the claim if one does so.

Owner is expected to do the same as this brave gentleman & risk getting a bullet by refusing to hand over the key !!

Last edited by BlackPearl : 30th November 2020 at 20:06. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
NaXal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 12:30   #11
BHPian

One big reason to not get Fortuner or Endeavor here. Stuff like this shouldn't happen but reality is it does and in-line with the state of our country.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 19:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

That is a different case where the owner handed his car key over to some fraudster thinking he was a valet driver.

Loss of the car due to theft or robbery is fully covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
I am referring to this thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...insurance.html (Thief poses as valet driver - Customer denied insurance)

Here in India, as per insurance company, owner isn't supposed to hand over the key for peaceful solution.

They will reject the claim if one do so.

Owner is expected to do the same as this brave gentleman & risk getting a bullet by refusing to hand over the key !!

hserus is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 23:33   #13
BHPian

One of my colleagues was robbed in front of Great India Place mall Noida at 8.30 PM with full traffic on the road. He was overtaken by a swift and the guys came with a gun asked him to sit in the backseat. They took the cash and gold dropped him at Pari chowk and fled with the car. The guy also had a brand new phone worth 50K. They didn’t take that only threw the battery out of running car so that he doesn’t make calls when they drop him. The car in question was a 2010 Honda City. The car was found after three months driven just 1000 Kms but with bald tyres fried clutch and lot of dents. He used to wear lot of gold. The gold which he was robbed of was worth approximately 2-2.5 lacs at that time. It was suggested that someone from DND toll must have tipped these guys since he was wearing this much gold and that could have led to the incident. So you don’t know what kind of people are out there looking for every opportunity they could get to rob someone off of their hard earned money.
nik0502 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 00:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quite shocking - are criminals in India getting influenced by their counterparts in Africa? Tip: Always hand over the valuables & walk. These criminals are trigger happy and have got nothing to lose even if they get caught after shooting you.

I'm glad he wasn't injured/shot at. Good luck to Jasdeep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
There’s definitely more to this...
Extreme case: Turns out to be a scam.

I hate to say it- integrity is becoming a rare trait in this world and people are always finding new ways to make easy money.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 08:46   #15
BHPian

There should be some way of immobilising the car remotely. Maybe manufacturers can feature this as an indelible feature. Sometime ago, I also read about GPS trackers that can be fitted anywhere in the car. Not easily traceable, it gives enough time to nab these goons.
While it won't be really possible, my wishlist is to have electric seats that can jolt the senses out of these goons.
roadrunner_nv is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks