Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2020, 15:55   #1
BHPian

Thugs on 2-wheelers stop car owner, attempt robbery

I am sure we would have heard enough of this in many dimensions to where the alone drivers been hurt/vehicle damaged etc. The point is - Has this started more especially after covid lockdowns?

What I have read/heard #1:

Apologies, the video is in Tamil. The quick translation is,
Quote:
Driving from Vikravandi to Ulunthorpet (Towns in Tamilnadu) people come in 2 wheeler and try to scratch your car with heavy iron rods and if you stop the car and get down they try to snatch the valuable or the car itself. The person (who speaks in the video) his uncle has gone through this and luckily he hasn't stopped looks like but his new Etios was enough damaged. Later when he has enquired tea stall near the toll plaza they are well aware of this. They suspect the information about the drivers/car with ladies goes from the toll plaza.
What I have read/heard #2:

Similar instance near Villupuram where a group of people flashes high-power torch on cars in the areas on the highway (where drivers slow down) to take control of the car. There has been a video but not sure of its authenticity as police themself claim that no such incident had taken place.

What I have faced #1:

Yesterday (27th Dec 2020) while I returned to Bangalore (alone around 5.30 PM), I was coming home via Phoenix Mall road (Whitefield Area), where a two-wheeler was taking the U-turn before phoenix mall/in-front of Bimal auto agency. I slowed down and let him overtake. I don't remember the brand of the vehicle but I remember his vehicle well because it has lights everywhere (especially one near the accelerator and clutch).

After view minutes driving from there, somewhere before Decathlon he was driving beside me, overtook in a flash, and stopped before me. I wasn't sure what's happening (because I wasn't driving fast / engaged in any argument or anything of that sort). He came near my car asked me to lower the window when I put it a bit down. He was asking me to come down. I was asking why he didn't tell me anything. He was drunk I could sense him.

At least 2 - 3 minutes he was just asking me to come down / lower the window fully. In all the 2 - 3 minutes, his eyes were everywhere. I had my wallet on the seat next to me (as I filled in diesel), credit card was outside and my phone was also on the seat.

He wasn't raising his voice or saying anything other than asking me to come out. It was quite surprising for me. I was trying to remove my seat belt he then moved on to the pavement to wait for me thinking I am getting down, for a moment I thought why should I get down rather I drove the car (luckily I kept the car running). I didn't seem him following me but I stay close to phoenix mall so I reached home in another couple of minutes.

Not sure if anyone has faced the same around this area.

Thought I will share it here so that we can discuss what steps that we can take to keep us safe because we can't always avoid driving alone.

Few things I could think of are,
  • Dashcam - To show any video evidence or police complaints in these situations
  • Never switch off the engine / lower fully your windows / get down of the car
  • Always better to avoid these guys rather than engaging in any argument with them as they will be always prepared for anything and we will not be.

Share your views, it can be helpful for most of us here.
hardilip is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 16:01   #2
BHPian

re: Thugs on 2-wheelers stop car owner, attempt robbery

Refer to this thread please - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...highway-3.html (Have you ever been robbed / mugged on a highway?)

Also, did you drive straight to your home after the encounter? It wouldn't be the best of practices to do that.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 16:07   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Refer to this thread please - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...highway-3.html (Have you ever been robbed / mugged on a highway?)

Also, did you drive straight to your home after the encounter? It wouldn't be the best of practices to do that.
Yes, I drove straight home after the incident. Actually, after entering the parking I realized I should have done for a spin, and then I should have come home. probably learning for me to keep in mind next time.
Old 28th December 2020, 16:19   #4
BHPian

I can share a similar experience 10 kms before Vikravandi toll plaza en route to Chennai just before Diwali. A craze car flashing it's headlights behind me, But I wasn't able to give them way as there was bridge works going on and only lane was available. In the single lane the car in front applied brakes due to speed breaker so did I. The ciaz who was tailgating me closely slammed into my back.

I parked the vehicle aside and those guys raised the voice immediately threading us with murder and knocking car with a lorry and bla bla. I had a few scratches on my rear bumper but his bonnet and front bumpers got some bad dents. My friend who was with me couldn't bear it and paid the 1500 they were asking for even though it was not our mistake. All the five guys looked so rowdy'ish and we didn't have time to go for police station or so. They chased us again and after an hour they were waiting on side of road smoking and shouting. Their car had numerous scratches and dents and it looked like they are in business of robbing people. I took their license and number plate photos and proceeded towards Chennai.
gasinveins is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 16:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasinveins View Post
I can share a similar experience 10 kms before Vikravandi toll plaza en route to Chennai just before Diwali. A craze car flashing it's headlights behind me, But I wasn't able to give them way as there was bridge works going on and only lane was available. In the single lane the car in front applied brakes due to speed breaker so did I. The ciaz who was tailgating me closely slammed into my back.

I parked the vehicle aside and those guys raised the voice immediately threading us with murder and knocking car with a lorry and bla bla. I had a few scratches on my rear bumper but his bonnet and front bumpers got some bad dents. My friend who was with me couldn't bear it and paid the 1500 they were asking for even though it was not our mistake. All the five guys looked so rowdy'ish and we didn't have time to go for police station or so. They chased us again and after an hour they were waiting on side of road smoking and shouting. Their car had numerous scratches and dents and it looked like they are in business of robbing people. I took their license and number plate photos and proceeded towards Chennai.
Hearing such experiences is really scary. Good, you managed to solve it. Looks like avoiding late night travel is the first thing to do.
Old 28th December 2020, 17:19   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasinveins View Post
Ignore the typos and grammatical errors as my phone's autocorrect messed me up
Old 28th December 2020, 18:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

So we are left to defend on our even after paying so much in toll, road tax and indirect taxes via fuel?

Do they have any special helpline so that we can get help quick on toll roads at least?

I clock about 15K km/year on highways, so any other tips would be of good help.
giri1.8 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 19:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
So we are left to defend on our even after paying so much in toll, road tax and indirect taxes via fuel?

Do they have any special helpline so that we can get help quick on toll roads at least?

I clock about 15K km/year on highways, so any other tips would be of good help.
Woke up in the morning with all these thoughts the first thing I check is for the helpline number but they are pretty standard helpline numbers
  • National Highway Helpline - 1033
  • Disaster Management - 1078
  • National Highway Authority - 1800-11-6062

Apart from these, the toll company might have a helpline number printed on the toll receipt.

Nothing much I could think of.

Last edited by navin : 31st December 2020 at 13:16. Reason: typo
hardilip is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 10:01   #9
BHPian

Great thread, especially the timing for me as I'm on a solo bike ride outside my home state. This isn't my first solo trip and I've done Spiti, Leh solo so decent experience traveling alone but to be frank this time I'm being slightly more cautious given the pandemic situation and desperate times. I practice the following tips learnt from other travellers on all my drives, especially when traveling alone. These are mostly for the long inter state drives but I don't see a reason why they can't be followed even within cities.

1. Sunrise to sunset drives only. This is difficult to follow at times but a very essential tip especially when traveling on unknown roads/areas

2. Try and stick to major highways, do not follow Google maps blindly. Plan your route ahead, inquire with restaurant/hotels where you take a pitstop or even follow the road signs. Goes without saying that pitstops need to be cautiously selected as well. I know people who only stop at chain restaurants such as Honest in Gujarat or Kamat in Maharashtra etc.

3. Dont engage with anyone unnecessarily while on the road, people will try to know about your trip, are you traveling alone, your destination or just provoke. Be gentle and walk/ride/drive away especially when provoked by someone. The key is also not to offend anyone while at it.

4. Ride/drive defensively. Leave ample margin of error for other road users. I have countless recollection of people riding/driving recklessly around me for no reason except just for fun seeing an out of state vehicle. Maintain your pace and again do not engage. This is very difficult for me when I'm driving my Abarth Punto and I'm guilty of making an exception to this tip at times when the odd Fortuner really ticks my nerves.

5. Yes, it's high time we realise that dash cam is a must. Its really a small price to pay for the value it brings to you. Do get a decent one while at it. I'm even considering a GoPro mod for continuous video while on rides.

6. Lastly though I've never faced this situation, I'm prepared to walk away if cornered somehow and not fight it out for my valuables etc. Some may call it as cowardice but It's frankly not worth it. Like most of us, I have family waiting at home.
camitesh is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 10:12   #10
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardilip View Post
Apart from these, the toll company might have a helpline number printed on the toll receipt.

Nothing much I could think off.
With Fastag I can't find any emergency number sent via SMS to our phones . Can't they just implement this important information alongwith debit from tag account message?
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 10:24   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

This incidence happened in Bangalore outskirts as per the details in the Tweet. Everyone must exercise caution. With so many thugs, driving with people also would not be safe. Deterrents that come to my mind are -
  • Pepper spray.
  • Firearms.
  • Prayer.
Link

Last edited by BoneCollector : 29th December 2020 at 10:28.
BoneCollector is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 10:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post

Lastly though I've never faced this situation, I'm prepared to walk away if cornered somehow and not fight it out for my valuables etc. Some may call it as cowardice but It's frankly not worth it. Like most of us, I have family waiting at home.
Hi,

You have summed it up all. I don't think few incidents should scare us from enjoying travelling. One of the rule I am fond off is no driving once Sun down and all the routes and pit stops are planned, no unscheduled pit stop unless inevitable.

I totally will walk away from valuables and my car without hesitation if it means saving myself and my loved ones. It's not cowardice but placing more worth to oneself.

Having said that if we are cornered in an open road by goons and your family is with you will u still take a chance in walking away or will you try driving aggressively to evade them and reach a safe zone.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 31st December 2020 at 01:07. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
drrajasaravanan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 11:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
This incidence happened in Bangalore outskirts as per the details in the Tweet. Everyone must exercise caution. With so many thugs, driving with people also would not be safe. Deterrents that come to my mind are -
  • Pepper spray.
  • Firearms.
  • Prayer.
Link
This is definitely not Nice Road in Bangalore. There are no rumbler type speed breakers on Nice Road.
This incident has already been posted in another thread. The incident took place in Orissa.
Have-you-ever-been-robbed-mugged-highway (Have you ever been robbed / mugged on a highway?)
speedmiester is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 11:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
This incidence happened in Bangalore outskirts as per the details in the Tweet.
Happened in Odisha as per this news report

Quote:
A driver’s presence of mind not only saved him and his vehicle from being robbed at night, but also shed light on the dangers lurking on secluded roads and highways in India, especially at night. One such terrifying incident from Jajpur, Odisha surfaced online with the entire episode being recorded on the vehicle’s dashboard camera.
https://www.news18.com/news/auto/wat...y-3216473.html
bejoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 11:22   #15
BHPian

I got the following message from my friend, from Madurai today.

Thugs on 2-wheelers stop car owner, attempt robbery-whatsapp-image-20201229-08.15.22.jpeg

There is an article published in Tamil Daily Dinamalar, dated 29th Dec 2020, Madurai Edition. Following is the gist of the article.

1. As per SP Radhakrishnan's direction, police investigated the case in Vikiravandi.
2. As per the first round of investigation, this is a false information (as per police) and such event never took place, no one was affected and also no one filed any complaint in the Vikiravandi Police Station.
3. He ensures the presence of High way Police 24 / 7 on the High way.

news copy right : to Dinamalar dated 29th Dec 2020, Madurai Edition.
disclaimer : I'm in no way connected to Dinamalar or the police dept. Just thought that the news will bring relief to those who are frequently traveling in the route.
Attached Thumbnails
Thugs on 2-wheelers stop car owner, attempt robbery-dinamalar20201229.jpg  

Last edited by nithi : 29th December 2020 at 11:24. Reason: added disclaimer
nithi is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks