Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2021, 03:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Innovative Mumbai traffic signal with LEDs on the entire light pole!

Innovative Mumbai traffic signal with LEDs on the entire light pole!-mumbailedlighttrafficsignal20211068x601.jpg

A pilot project executed on Worli Sea Face in Mumbai, sees traffic lights in a new light. In essence, instead the usual setting of traffic signal lights, the current endeavour makes for improved traffic light visibility.

The light parameter covers larger surface area as the lighting pole itself has been reworked. Fitted with LED lights means for every light change, the complete pole lights up instead of the traditional light setting overhead at intersections.

The project was undertaken by BMC (Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation). While the project is only visible as a single unit at present, plans are on to introduce more such lights. Apart from functional benefits, the new traffic signal design is being touted for its ‘aesthetic appeal’. Challenges faced included bending the LED lights as required, and synchronising it with the traffic signal system.

Source: https://www.rushlane.com/mumbai-traf...-12388721.html
ruzbehxyz is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 09:53   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Innovative Mumbai traffic signal with LEDs on the entire light pole!

Good move. Overall, something which should be done at all major signals.

BLR has also installed a few of them at KIAL airport and at some city signals. It is visible from a long way off in daytime especially in rain/fog, but is quite blinding at night if the streetlights are off.
itwasntme is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 09:59   #3
Team-BHP Support

Had seen a video of it on Twitter. Very fascinating but in a crowd of millions, a bigger light won't change people's attitude.

https://twitter.com/missdoportunity/...206629380?s=21
moralfibre is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 11:21   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
It is visible from a long way off in daytime especially in rain/fog, but is quite blinding at night if the streetlights are off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
A pilot project executed on Worli Sea Face in Mumbai, sees traffic lights in a new light.
This was first adopted in 2019 in Kolkata and in 2020 Chennai also adopted it apart from some other metros.

Related News: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/70210257.cms

However I would agree its blinding to an extent as are those LED screens showing traffic best practices especially in the evening hours. Also if the stop line is scientifically placed at the right distance from the signal and people obey it (in Kolkata stop line violation attract penalty and its enforced diligently through cameras / e-challans) then no additional initiative is necessary.

However since inception this did not become that much wide spread in Kolkata, even though newer initiatives of having solar power traffic signals are now becoming a more widespread norm in NewTown area.

Related News: https://www.telegraphindia.com/west-...ls/cid/1687046

Last edited by haisaikat : 4th January 2021 at 11:24.
haisaikat is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 12:14   #5
BHPian

Nice ! We’ve had these in chennai for a while, they really blind you at night though.

Innovative Mumbai traffic signal with LEDs on the entire light pole!-cf2599a8ceed46d494fce4587a0cb5fa.jpeg
reihem is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 12:36   #6
J4J
BHPian

I definitely support this along with timer. There are many a times when I cannot spot the light due to a bus ahead of me. Many lights are only for 20-25 Secs on my route and this would definitely help.
My dad even got a challan for violating stop line as he could not spot the light due to a bus ahead of him.
Some people will never change. But for the people who want to obey rules, this is definitely a good move.

Last edited by J4J : 4th January 2021 at 12:39.
J4J is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 12:44   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Had seen a video of it on Twitter. Very fascinating but in a crowd of millions, a bigger light won't change people's attitude.

https://twitter.com/missdoportunity/...206629380?s=21
Atleast it would help people who really want to make a difference.

I think its a good idea, especially when we have no restrictions of commercial vehicles ferrying the city during peak traffic hours.

Imagine if you are driving a low seated car for reference Alto behind a commercial vehicle and blinded by the signal light peaking behind the branch of a tree or a hoarding. This system should help.

Though the intensity of the LED's is questionable.
Asif 6959 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 13:37   #8
BHPian

While this definitely increase visibility during day time specially in places like Kolkata where there are thousands of billboards alongside which sometimes makes it difficult to spot a traffic signal, the intensity of these LEDs are not pleasing to the eye. Add to this the latest LED tail lamps/brake lights of some newer cars and night drives will be strainful.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 13:47   #9
BHPian

Saw one of these yesterday night on the Palm beach road in Navi Mumbai (NMMC head office junction at CBD).

Looks good. Effective when you're parked behind a truck or right at the front and have to crane to see the signal. Didn't feel as if it was too bright but I was in the left-most lane and thus not approaching it head-on.
Old 4th January 2021, 15:01   #10
BHPian

Don't like it, probably against general opinion. Too distracting IMO and frankly don't understand the point. It looks horrible to me to say the least.

If the management is that sure that people can't focus on the lights that matter when on the road, they should revaluate the licensing system. Additionally, get rid of the bill boards that have bright ambient lights and are huge. Probably that should help in getting people's attention to the Traffic lights. What next if this doesn't work? Massive Plank of a board with Coloured LEDs lit on it?

I apologize for the rant.
Old 4th January 2021, 15:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
Nice ! We’ve had these in chennai for a while, they really blind you at night though.

Attachment 2102538
OT, but where is this one? I've never seen it in the city
gusfring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 16:07   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Delhi & cities up north need these badly especially in the winters.
Old 4th January 2021, 16:40   #13
BHPian

Good initiative but I hope these LEDs are replaceable and have been tested for Indian summer weather. I don't know how they will dissipate the heat in such a long row of LED lights. Hope this has been designed well.
Old 4th January 2021, 18:18   #14
BHPian

Good on paper, horrible in the real world.

Run across these in Chennai and they are bloody blinding. Hasn't stopped the odd biker from sneaking through just the same.

Issue here is not in the size of the signal but enforcement of laws.
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 19:22   #15
BHPian

Two concerns with this design -

- Regular traffic lights have covers / shades to limit visibility to (and avoid confusing) people driving on cross streets. Lights on entire pole would confuse cross traffic.

- This would be too bright for folks waiting at the signal next to or close to the traffic light.

If visibility due to weather conditions or street layout are a concern, an additional traffic light should be adequate.
AVIS is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks